Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my wife and I dream big and we love our trucks.
We are building a 1997 F350 4 door 7.3, a 01 Excursion 4x4 7.3 and now the newest addition to the shop (Don't worry we have this all planned out HAHAHAHAHA):

2001 E350 7.3 2wd (extended wheelbase?) white van with a shi*ton of miles
Paid $3500 for this gem, drove it home 84 miles (at 58 mph max!!)
393K miles

It was left at a diesel shop, the owner skipped out on the final bill (guess how much, $3500). Don't let the miles scare you, I got all the paperwork, This sucker has a reman trans and a reman 7.3 in it. 8 new motorcraft injectors, UVCH and ICP installed less then 150 miles ago. New Deka battery 150 miles ago. Recent Hpop, Hpop lines, new fuel system (whole system) Fresh oil, turbo pedestal was removed and re installed with new up pipe gaskets & O rings.

It runs like a new 7.3 it has POWER for days and smoooth shifts.

It also has a rear tire about to blow, vibrations huge over 58 mph
U joints are toast, scary to drive kinda toast
front wheel bearing howling

Who cares? All that crap is going away! Interior is thrashed, dash is good, drivers seat ripped, pass seat seems to have survived.
Body is straight(ish) body mounts are good, no rust, glass and seals are good, rear bumper WTF did they do to it? brand new front tires. Who authorizes a $4000 repair bill at a shop and then WALKS AWAY??? Geesh man don't you realize what that shop went through to order in parts and pay technician for labor to fix your van with the promise to pay for the bill??? PITA!!
We are going to remove the trans, go through it soft rebuild and convert to 4x4 (will get donor 4x 4r100 trans at JY)
Add some sort of t case (twin stick Np205?, 4407 manual?, 1356M? I have no idea)
05 up superduty axles coil sprung?
OBS axles with RSK?
6-8" lift, 2 rows of seating with cargo / camping space behind, pop top conversion eventually, but first things first collect parts to make this 4x4.
Fix current issues so we can drive it around, fix door that wont open, etc

Welcome our 2001 E350 the "money hole" to the stables. As usual, being pretty much brand new to diesels and Van 4x4 conversions HELP!!!!

What would YOU do?

·
Native Texan
9,012 Posts
Man you got to learn to finish some projects. But with what it has in it you could make out just selling parts off it. Man I going run out of room trying to track all your projects.

·
Administrator
8,118 Posts
So the bolt pattern on the wheels should be 8x6.5 just like an obs. So a quick d60 swap should work. I know there is quite a lot of fab to get it to work.

But I would do a 05+ swap in a heart beat if I can find a cheap set of axles.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ain't that the truth!! remember for every truck I own and build there are several moving through the shop getting repairs and maintenance, heck I even have did a Subaru Outback diagnose, NSS, fluid change last week for a neighbor.
Today I have a 2000 4runner on my trailer one of my good friends wives, almost 300K on this sucker and it likely needs a rack and pinion (steering wheel it like 75 degree to the left all of a sudden???) I put a Carquest NEW rack and pinion in it like 1 year ago!?!?! I went to Carquest so we wouldn't have these problems....geesh now I gotta try and find the receipt
Its a constant flood...but I wouldn't trade it for the world

My stepsons hit the junk yard today.
"the Van" is already getting hooked up!!!
Found tail light, center console cupholder, pass side mirror, door seals, and a dash bezel! That's just on day one

Plus I started my morning shoving a bunch of clutter in it....My wife told me not to use the van as a storage unit...too late!
Stuff that's been collecting in the shop space like my 4 navigator seats, my diamond eye exhaust, westin step bars..
You guys wanna come over and help??
Gotta make some time for our trucks this Easter weekend

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But I would do a 05+ swap in a heart beat if I can find a cheap set of axles.
Ill buy the whole donor truck, 6.0's are everywhere. This gives me all suspension and steering bits, driveshafts, links everything in one shot. Plus part out the rest of the truck helps pay for this maddness
Need to re coupe some $$ for a while however there is a certain 7.3 Ex I'm after if they call back
See what happens when your wife supports your truck problem?
I think the gas tank needs mods based on your t case selection. I will watch CL for a donor 4r100 4wd (is a 5r100 conversion out of the question?)
I can fab a trac bar bracket or build if needed, do the 05 coil spring radius arm setups use a track bar? I don't even know yet!!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
21.9 liters of bug

Okay some research is revealing:
Possible the 05 superduty axle is much wider then van frame....so cannot just use 2wd van coil buckets, need 05+ buckets and some fab to get them to fit (might be just the ticket)
gas tank is usually shortened to clear new t case, weld in a piece or buy a different tank $$$$$
leaf spring conversion seems more simple but the brackets and such are big $$$$ I like the idea of using superduty leaf setup front and rear axles but coil spring might be better option.
4r100 trans must come and apart out to convert to 4x4 output shaft and tailhousing, apparently quigley sells an adapter to avoid this $$$$$$$ have not seen it yet. I expected this
Also a 5r100 does not need to be taken apart to convert to 4x4 lucky guys, my 2001 is a 4r100 I am 99% sure
17" wheels required for 05+ axles.....dang I have some nice 16" mickey thompsons....
4" lift is minimum to clear front diff on van, depending on final lift height some trimming to engine cradle required (no biggie)
If leaf springs are used sleeves are welded into frame rails to place shackle directly under frame rail

Anyone that's been down this road don't be afraid to chime in! Im doing a little research each time I get a chance

·
Native Texan
9,012 Posts
man I'm glad it you and not me I struggling just trying to figure out putting an 04 E450 axle in my obs. I'd go crazy trying to figure everything out for the 4x4 conversion on a van. Good luck with this will keep following. I considered A 5r100 swap as the ambulance has one with tail mounted E-brake but I have to draw the line somewhere plus I already sunk good money into my E4OD.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
traded ....today I sold the 01 E350 to my stepson
In return I get to keep this 2000 Econoline E350 Powerstroke passenger 7.3 RWD with 55,000 MILES we just bought this am for $3500 because it has some rust!!

I am pretty excited...this sucker will be our new van project and eventually (sooner rather than later) will be converted to 4x4

·
Administrator
8,118 Posts
We need pics of said rust.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
absolutely! The backstory, this local dude found this van in Chicago and bought a one way ticket to go see it....drove it home, registered passed emissions and was getting ready to make it their new family cruiser camper hauler. He went to add a front receiver hitch and the shop told him they do not want the liability due to rust on frame....that's when he discovered the frame rail /rust issue and decided against the van. They found a 97 conversion van as a replacement (also very nice) and sold this sucker to me. There is rust and there is bondo. Both rockers and the side doors had a quick bondo job done and then sprayed some blue and the silver paint to hide. I do not really care about the body rust I can knock it all off, replace the doors and fix the rockers.

The frame rust is only surface the frame is still solid (obviously) its the brake lines and ABS lines that freaked everyone one. The cheapo dealership in Chi town did a quicky once over on this sucker to make it lot worthy, they replaced the drivers soft brake line, both calipers and looks like wheel bearings (new ABS sensor wires). The hard line to the rear brakes looks wet and will be replaced along with the pass side soft line. Do these beams use unit bearings? I will have to research.

I will do a coil spring 4x convo on this sucker and delete the ABS pump and lines anyway...after that its a wire wheel on the frame and some chassis saver.
Planning to find a bad 4r100 4x for the tailhousing and output shaft then its just 3 hours at my trans builders house to swap cases and convert this trans to 4x. I already have a 1356m t case.
Need to get 05+ axles, radius arms, coils, etc and a van 4x gas tank and then it's on........

We have ourselves a winner!!
Runs and drives like a new van

I will be replacing two brake lines and adding 4 new tires, fix the rear rain gutter rust and turn her over to the wife for family hauling
This will share duty with the excursion as family hauler, toy hauler, shop backup truck

I love it. So now we are a two E350 family

All bondo all the time = stupid crappy stealerships ripping people off: A quick tap with my fingers and I could spot all the rotten metal in 2 seconds, something the first owner missed

all the side doors look like this:

Buy some stock in Bondo!

CLEAN AS CRAP!

Yikes, need some seam sealer too:

The rust pretty much stops at the top of the frame rails and ABS pump, the brake booster and engine still have shiny paint

Oh baby!

I've seen MUCH worse, Colorado folk are spoiled:

last night we ripped the up pipes turbo and pedestal off the white van. PLans have changed, parts that were headed for my stepsons 2001 Superduty are now going on the white van....
I will be doing bellowed pipes, deleted ped, turbo rebuild/upgrade and exhaust on the blue van very soon also...its just too easy!!

·
Native Texan
9,012 Posts
Man if I let ruat like that scare me I would never work on vehicles around here. brake lines are a common fail item here we replace them all the time. We have only had 2 vehicle we turned away one the frame was in 2 pieces and the other the body was gone where the axle bolted on(unibody car). Not because they couldnt be fixed but because we didnt have the tools ie plasma cutter and such to make replacement pieces. fix that sucker up and make her nice again.

Sent from my RCT6213W87DK using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
9,012 Posts
Man I loved van for turbo work could get easy access to the up pipes and turbo. dont like doing head work in vans but I have put there sets of heads on 6.0l vans and didn't have a torque wrench that did angles. now i have a torque wrench that does angles but no 6.0l to work on anymore. but most tof these new motor are torque to yield crap to it gets alot of use.

Man at 55,000 that motor barely getting broke in so you got alot of good there to work with.

Sent from my RCT6213W87DK using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,118 Posts
I've heard that these 2wd trans are ready for a t case. All you have to do is remove the yoke and cut the threads off the output shaft. I could be totally wrong through. I've never seen a 2wd superduty. Let alone a 7.3 van.

Post pics of the tail housing please.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will do!
I know the 5r100 the tailhousing is interchangeable between 2wd and 4wd
I will get pics from white van that's in shop
That would be pretty cool if the 4r100 can be easily modified I am no stranger to cutting output shafts to fit t cases!
Wife keeps telling me to do it
There is a set of 08 axles with all parts included (steering, coil buckets, etc) for $1500 in town 3.73.....I already have 1356 manual t case

·
Administrator
8,118 Posts
Does that include the rear axle? The van uses 8x6.5 bolt pattern and the new axle is metric. Possibly the leafs too? Which would be an upgrade.
I believe the rag joint is different but can be adapted if you have the steering shaft. The only issue I've seen with 08-10 swaps is the track bar bracket but being a van I would guess you would just have to make a whole new one anyway.

You don't want to disappoint the wife.

·
Administrator
8,118 Posts
You will need new rims also. Any 8 lug rims from 05 tell present will work. 17"+ also.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
comes with front and rear and wheels $1500.......

Pretty sure U joint offroad sells trac bar bracket or just use a universal one and fab it to fit the frame
Also the gas tank needs to be shortened Im pretty sure.
It has been a few months since I researched all of that.

We just finished the rebuild 360 degree thrust washer and billet wheel turbo R&R, Riff raff deleted pedestal, Riff raff plenum boots, and stainless up pipe install on white van. Charging both Deka batteries now and re doing two battery terminals to lug style......
No more boost leaks now

1 - 20 of 71 Posts