Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am new I do not know exactly where this should have been posted, but let’s continue. Everywhere I have read about someone swapping a 7.3 pstroke in a OBS everyone has said “not worth the time.” Or “its a waste.” Or even “if it’s not blown the don’t swap it.” (Mine was blown) Well I know that there are people out there that want to still do it like myself. And well that’s what I am working on and will keep posting updates. I came by a rust free 1990 f350 dually 2wd auto trans in Ohio. It had a 7.3 idi completely blown up. Scoring on the cylinder walls like I’ve never seen heads were cracked beyond repair. So I pulled the motor. Knowing I was going to swap it. Pulling was quite easy with my front loader. Lol. I separated the trans from the motor and left the trans in the truck. I have the 7.3 power stroke motor and just know you have to get the whole engine bay harness, fuse box, idm, pcm, and throttle peddle assembly. I got very lucky with all of these things and picked them all up from a guy for $400! Right now I have the old 7.3 ID#### in the trash can and the new 7.3 pstroke in the garage getting all new gaskets. My theory here is that I will bolt the 7.3 idi flywheel and torque converter up to the powerstroke and bolt the powerstroke to my e40d (electronic) and wire the e40d straight into the powerstroke pcm. Again this is my theory. I have a full pinout of the e40d and powerstroke pcm that I just googled and is going to be very helpful in the future. (Hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last night I was able to pick up a 7.3 powerstroke wiring harness, throttle peddle, cluster, pcm, and idm all for $400. I now have everything together to have this motor run which is amazing. Now it’s just wiring it all in/ installing everything. I will hopefully be using the original idi motor mounts if I do not have to fab up my own. Hopefully I will have the motor set in bolted up to the transmission this weekend then I will be able to start the wiring process. Everything that is not needed on the pcm I will point out so anyone that does this swap will know what they can and cannot cut off. (Unless most of you know) and if anyone has done this before and or knows a lot more about a swap like this all input is much appreciated. I would like to get as much information about this as I can. Main concern right now for some reason is the E40D holding up.

·
Ford Man
192 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Nation. I say cool deal on the swap. Glad you stayed with the Powerstroke instead of say a Fummins swap which seems to be gaining popularity these days. Good pics BTW. Please keep us posted on the progress. Welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome to the Nation. I say cool deal on the swap. Glad you stayed with the Powerstroke instead of say a Fummins swap which seems to be gaining popularity these days. Good pics BTW. Please keep us posted on the progress. Welcome.

Thank you, I plan on taking a lot more detailed pictures and giving a very detailed breakdown of everything I am doing so others can see exactly how it’s done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time for an update. Turns out the electronics from the e40d are not compatible with the SD computer unfortunately. So scratch the whole idea of keeping it with an e40d. Lol. We will be using a standard 4r100 2wd trans. Going to pick one up here shortly for roughly $400 and that includes the torque converter as well. So I have everything to make a SD run on a stand (not gonna start it on a stand) and once I get the trans I can start bolting it to the motor and then drop it in and start the wiring. Also keep in mind that now that I am going with the 4r100 trans I will no longer have a speedo. So I’ve decided that I will do a OBS to SD cluster swap. I will be creating my own little dash piece for it to rest inside of and then I can start plugging away. As for the old vacuum pump brake booster yea take that out and light it with a torch mounting a oracles for your vacuum pump on a SD engine is pointless. Go get yourself a SD brake booster for $75 (that’s what I did) and then run that off the SD power steering pump. I will update all of you when the engine and trans are in. (Peep the picture of the full uncut wiring harness that I scooped up for $400 pre pulled) also came with the pcm, idm, throttle peddle, cluster, fuse box)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Reactions: the_frosty_dually

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
So you can cut down a obs 7.3 harness to work and it might work with your current trans and you can use it with the stock cluster. The superduty harness needs to have the cluster so you might have to make it fit your dash.

My vote is to find an obs harness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you can cut down a obs 7.3 harness to work and it might work with your current trans and you can use it with the stock cluster. The superduty harness needs to have the cluster so you might have to make it fit your dash.

My vote is to find an obs harness.

But how would any of this work if I have a super duty engine,trans? I would need a super duty wiring harness. I cannot use the idi wiring harness, if your talking about in the cab all of that wiring was left alone I have that. That cluster is an amazing idea but I believe the powerstroke pcm reads at different ohms for the gauges compared to an OBS. What needs the happen is the super duty engine and trans need to be dropped in. Cluster needs to be mounted along with the throttle peddle (because Throttle peddle reads ohms and is electronic where the obs is cable) then I need to plug in the powerstroke engine bay harness into the powerstroke plug in my cluster, plug in my throttle peddle. And plug in everything that needs to be there. My only thing is I do not currently know the ohm reading differences between IDI cluster and Powerstroke cluster. If they are are different like I am sure they are. I will either mount the cluster in somehow where the idi cluster is. Or if I tuck the cluster under the dash purchase a tablet and run it obd2 and get all of my gauges that way. And I am unsure if my powerstroke harness has the chipped key. If it does then I will need the powerstroke cluster 110%. Maybe I’m just really understanding what exactly your trying to say.

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
So On the engine. The obs and superduty engines are the same besides the uvch. Which is an easy fix.

The trans. Your idi trans is an e4od right? The obs trans is e4od. So I think (not 100%) that the obs pcm might run your current trans.
If you run all obs wiring even the cluster it’s pretty much plug and play. But you can run a cut down harness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct, my idi trans is indeed the e40d. My goal here is to be able to plug and play. So then when I’m going through things I’m not cunfused to weather or not it’s idi or powerstroke wiring. And to make this swap more simple for others. I’m cleaning the engine bay out. Anything that involves an idi motor or idi trans will be removed. The powerstroke and 4r100 will the be dropped into its place. I will then take all of the powerstroke wiring and put it into place of the idi wiring. Then I will run the wiring in the cab for the cluster and peddle. I will make a custom placement for the powerstroke cluster to go into place of the idi cluster. Then everything will be plug and play and simple. Easy and no wire chasing. If there are wires that I do not need then I will remove them. This swap is a 1990 Ford F-350 dually 2wd with the 7.3 idi (non turbo) and a e40d trans and I will be placing a 2001 super duty 7.3 powerstroke with a 4r100 trans. I know what’s going on here and I NOW know that the powerstroke cluster reads at different ohm levels than the idi cluster. Splicing the powerstroke into my idi wiring will take to much time and labor for what it honestly is. My 2001 powerstroke will not talk to my 1990 idi computer. WILL NOT. My 2001 powerstroke will not read at the same ohms as my idi computer/ cluster. The 7.3 idi (non turbo) and 7.3 powerstroke May be very similar blocks if not the same but the electronic compatibility is nothing alike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alrighty, I’ve seem to have run into a slight issue with the swap, my lucky a$$ just so happened to pull the wiring pcm idm and cluster from a 02 7.3 powerstroke. With..... wait for it.... the wonderful Ford PATS system. I’ve read everywhere and dug into the deep web and still have not come across anything for bypassing this I know that there is a way. Because there’s always a way with everything. No I do not have the keys or the ignition barrel. I’m not 100% sure if I can just buy the ignition barrel/ key and plug it into the PATS system and reprogram the key to it. I know everyone says you “have to have 2 keys to program anymore.” But like anything there’s always a way around it ;) if anyone has dug deep into the PATS system and can give any advice that would be greatly appreciated for I am unaware with Ford version of anti theft. And I’m not going to take a swapped truck to a ford dealership and try to explain to them that it’s a 02’ super duty motor and 90’ body I worked a dealership and let me tell you. There actually is a whole new level of stupid. (Not directed towards everyone that works at a dealership)

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
So my opinion is to cut your losses with the 02 harness and sell it. Buy a harness from an obs 94.5-97. Swap everything into the cab and make it look 100% original. You might be able to get the obs harness to run the current trans. Your trying way to hard to over complicate thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So my opinion is to cut your losses with the 02 harness and sell it. Buy a harness from an obs 94.5-97. Swap everything into the cab and make it look 100% original. You might be able to get the obs harness to run the current trans. Your trying way to hard to over complicate thing.

I guess I’m not truly understanding this, from my understand the obs 7.3 powerstroke engine harness will not run the new style motor. The harness is different and they use the old style fueling system. And the new style 7.3 powerstroke uses an electronic fueling system controlled by the pcm. Unless I am wrong.

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts
There are ways to run the electric pumps with obs systems people do it all the time. u just have to add a circuit for it.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
All you have to do to make the obs harness work with a superduty motor is to swap the uvch's. There is also write up on how to convert the obs harness to run superduty uvch's. Then while your googling search out obs e fuel.

The only issue I see is the split shot injectors but you can flash the computer to run them.

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that is a great idea tapping into an obs harness converting the uvch over and running it, being able to keep it all “stock” would be amazing. I’ve done some reading here and there and found a little bit of a better plan,
1. I will be using a 4r100 4wd trans instead of a e40d 2wd trans, (I am aware there may need to be driveshaft fabricating)
2. The wiring will be used from the powerstroke and I will work things out with that, I have found out the computer is an aftermarket computer not oem and it does have a chip in it. At this moment I do not remember the chip name. So I believe the pats system was removed when the previous owner of the harness put a different computer in it. (Still unaware of the pats system) I will run the powerstroke cluster and tuck it under the dash with some zip ties. (only because it has communication with throttle peddle. Tap into the powerstroke cluster wiring and run it all over to the obs cluster. The only thing I will not have is a speedometer. Unless I can rig something up.
I appreciate everyone’s comments and breaking these things down for me helping me on the best route to take. I will keep updating as the project continues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to share with everyone (that doesn’t already know like me) that the powerstroke throttle peddle and obs throttle peddle is a direct bolt in swap. Peddle goes all the way to the stopper so I will not be lacking peddle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts