Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bilco Construction Ltd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have recently picked up a 2000 f350 with an 03 f250 body on it (not sure if any sensors or relays may change, figured as much info i can relay the better). The truck has been great for the past few months. i was driving along with no running issues and the truck just shut off. All the power still works, lights work, etc. the truck on the side of the road would only crank. and no smoke from the exhaust.

I Dont have a live stream computer to read/monitor data entrys and sensors/regualtors, although potentially would make this a very quick diagnostics, sadly i have to figure it out thru trial and error.
i have began to diagnose starting with, checking the oil level, checked back okay, Checking all fuses tied to the fuel supply, checks back good, The tachometer moves while cranking and the idiot lights to go thru the normal steps, there is no engine light. I unplugged the icp sensor (which had oil in the electrical plug, i noted this, dried it up) and tried to start it unplugged and plugged in again. still just cranks, still no smoke from exhaust. I went and grabbed another IPR Valve and installed it as i heard this was a common issue, still no start, the Glow plugs are engaging and the fuel is getting up to to the Hpop.. It seems as though the injectors arent firing. i checked the wiring for chaffing around the valve covers and seems okay. i know that the 4 outside wires on the plug into the valve covers are glow plugs, the next 4 outside wires(in from them) is injectors, and the last wire in the center is ground. My question is, can i unplug the plug that goes to the valve cover UVC harness, crank the truck and get a reading with multimeter or test light via the injector pins coming from the IDM. if done with a multimeter what voltage am i looking for? im hoping by chance this will help narrow down if my IDM is sending power to the injectors or isnt sending the communication to the injectors, at which point ill have a better idea of my next tests.

I hate that the truck is down. and i hate feeling like a dog chasing my tail. i understand that there is other bulletins regarding similar issues all over the internet, i have exhausted most of them trying to diagnose it in hopes to repair this thing. any suggestions, pictures, instructions or advice on some test would be greatly appreciated.

·
PSN intsigator
6,093 Posts
First off your fuel NEVER touches your hpop. Hpop is High Pressure Oil Pump.

Have you checked your fuel filter to verify fuel delivery to that point.

What color is your filter.

Have you pulled the plug ontop of the hpop reservoir to verify it is full.

·
Bilco Construction Ltd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off your fuel NEVER touches your hpop. Hpop is High Pressure Oil Pump.

Have you checked your fuel filter to verify fuel delivery to that point.

What color is your filter.

Have you pulled the plug ontop of the hpop reservoir to verify it is full.

Fuel filter is good, HPOP reservoir is near the top maybe 1 cm below threads, i did a few more test and i have power going into my IDM and a good ground. but no power coming out on any of the leads. i had someone with SOLUS PRO come scan it and it came back with this code P1670 EF Feedback Signal Not Dectected... my assumption is a bad wire between PCM and IDM. Would a faulted IDM through this code, or Bad wire?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've been fighting that code too, check the idm relay, any open fuses, I'd bet on the idm but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say so I'll let someone else chime in on that one, only other thing that'll usually throw that tho is a messed pcm (doubtful) double check all the wiring too, the big main harness on the driver's side head and what not, as I said, I'm not great with these so take this with a grain of salt lol, this is just all info I've read mainly.

·
Bilco Construction Ltd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been fighting that code too, check the idm relay, any open fuses, I'd bet on the idm but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say so I'll let someone else chime in on that one, only other thing that'll usually throw that tho is a messed pcm (doubtful) double check all the wiring too, the big main harness on the driver's side head and what not, as I said, I'm not great with these so take this with a grain of salt lol, this is just all info I've read mainly.

I think i finally found the issue. After all the aforementioned steps in my first post; i took the wire loom off and opened access to all the wires, i traced back the wires between pcm and idm (3 wires) which all seemed okay. Power, Ground to the IDM was great, just no communication back to the pcm to fire injectors, was my assumption.

I Decided to take the IDM out and open it up and WALLA! tons of moisture, corrosion, and burnt board scent. took the board completely out of the case and the bottom right side adjacent to the plug (lowest point of IDM when mounted to truck had the most build up and corrosion, and a burnt contact on my board there.

So im waiting on another board today at some point hopefully, and fingers are crossed this fixes it, and the failed IDM didnt cause another issue(because thats my luck)

·
PSN intsigator
6,093 Posts
Awesome glad you got it fixed, an thanks for the update

1 - 10 of 10 Posts