Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well heres my situation i have a 95 7.3 with 250k on it and i plan on making around 450-500 hp with it. but i also have a 97 7.3 laying around with 160k on it. so my question is would it be worth it to take that 97 and tare it down and buy a rebuild kit i think the complete ones go for like 1200 and go through it. the only thing is i dont have the money for all the machine processes boring, decked, sizing the whole works. so if the 7.3s cylinder walls are fine and the decks are fine should i be able to just rebuild the motor with new rings and pistons and do a complete reseal. i also had plans to put head studs, pushrods, and springs on the 95 but if i had the 97 sitting aside id just put them on that motor. so im curious if basically doing a reseal and repiston kit on the 7.3 with 160k is worth the money or if it just gonna blow or or run like crap if i dont get all the machining done. thanks

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
If you can afford the machining then you shouldn't be doing the project in the first place

You know the old saying .......

If you cant afford to do it right the 1st time, then you really cant afford to do it a second time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for the complete maching including rebuilding the heads how much do you really think it would cost?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's my situation, working on my old man 95 f350(car hauler from previous owner), now its got blow by, &I somewhat worn out at 275,000.00. We found a 97 engine(don't know how many miles), but after opening & checking it look good enough. Sent block, heads crank & cam to get checked. To do the job right shop had to go .010 over & after pressure test heads 5 valves were replaced. My point is( as stated by diesel brad) if you can afford it do it right the first time. As for my old mans rig is going back stock, he just wants truck to overlast him & not worry bout it. Machine work ran $950. Plus kit.

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
If you can afford the machining then you shouldn't be doing the project in the first place

You know the old saying .......

If you cant afford to do it right the 1st time, then you really cant afford to do it a second time.
:whs:

If you can't afford to have the machine work done stay out of the motor!!!! Unless you are VERY good at sizing rings and have a lot of experience building motors it would be a complete FAIL to put new pistons and rings in a block that wasn't machined. Even though the walls may look good as with anything else they develop a wear pattern with the pistons and rings that are in it. If you don't put them back in and as a learning excercise put in new pistons and rings you will have a rather expensive hard lesson. Blow by would be an understatement if you're talking about 450-500 hp. :doh::doh::doh:

Check with your local machine shop on the cost as they vary widely in different areas. And again, if you can't afford to do it right the first time, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO DO IT!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im gonna talk with a few machine shops because my thoughts on price were alot higher then 900 for all the machining so if i can get all the machining done for say a grand im in no rush so ill just wait alittle longer and have a motor i know is going to last.

·
Registered
153 Posts
With all my machining for block and heads including bearings, pistons, rings, gasket set, new valves, ect.. was about 2,000 for me but I was able to put it together as a long block

1 - 8 of 8 Posts