Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 F350 and I'm not sure if the turbo is working anymore. I dont hear the "whistle" anymore. It runs just fine but I dont notice that extra power when I tromp on it. Is there a way to test the turbo?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I dont have any of that stuff. Im thinking of chipping it and getting the gauges I need but I was wondering if there was a way to check it before I start doing the upgrades. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Where are you located? Might be someone on here close by that can either lend you a boost gauge or has a scanner to use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im in louisville, ky. If a boost gauge will tell me what I need then i will get one. I am going to need one anyway eventually. I know this may sound stupid, but I assume that if the boost goes up then the turbo is working, correct?

·
Banned
459 Posts
yes sure but it should build more that 20 lbs to be some what good
if you pm me i will email you a link to a good set of gauges at a good price new

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Is your truck smoking anymore than it used to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the truck runs like a champ...no problems. I just turned 100,000 miles. I've taken real good care of it. Just wondering about the turbo...I plan on chipping it and changing the exhaust and adding the gauges. Im curious about what other upgrades would help the towing and power...any suggestions? and the manufacturers too please. thanks

·
Banned
459 Posts
casserly stage one or two injectors but your mpgs will go down

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Check your air filter while you have the intake off.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
..also roll up under the truck with a flash light, and check for soot on the firewall, top of trans, etc...

you could have an exhaust leak at one of your exhaust manifolds, or up-pipes...

(as well as checking the easy chit, like intercooler boot/pipe connections)

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
casserly stage one or two injectors but your mpgs will go down
Not if you keep your foot out of it. Most people (including me) gained mpg with big injectors and custom tunes, if I keep my foot out of it.

·
Banned
459 Posts
thats cool

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pull the intake hose where it fits on the turbo with a flat head screw driver to see if its spinning while the truck is running. If its spinning its working. If not then the problem is on the exhaust side of the turbo. Maybe a stuck open wastegate or a broken turbo shaft. It might not be whistling when it boost up cause of a clogged airfilter or starting to get a build up of oil in the turbo that's being vented from the crankase

·
Registered
670 Posts
yes sure but it should build more that 20 lbs to be some what good
if you pm me i will email you a link to a good set of gauges at a good price new

All 4 of the PSD's Ive owned topped out at 16-17psi with stock tuning

·
NEWBIE to PSN
29 Posts
Try removing the red pressure line from the wastegate actuator and stick it on a clamp bolt, then see if you can feel an increase in boost. If you seem to get more boost then the actuator biasing spring has become weak or is broken and allowing the wastegate to open too early. Easy enough to try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts