Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 powerstroke normal oil temps?

214 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  NJU 7.3
Hey guys got a question for you. Have a early 99 7.3 powerstroke zf6. Truck is relatively stock, slightly bigger turbo and injectors, intake, exhaust, custom tunes, etc. what are normal oil temps. I see 195-215 on my sct x4 monitor. Most of the time it stays at 200-210, 210-212 when I am pulling a hill at 80 mph. but I was towing heavy 30k lbs last week and saw 216 on the monitor. Is that normal? Thing that scares me is this winter it only was at 180-190, what’s the change? I just resealed my oil cooler and cleaned it and it wasn’t dirty at all and has fairly new radiator and water pump. My other question is on my monitor, coolant temperatures are all over the place. I’ll see 200 daily driving and then after a hill working the motor I’ll see 250-270 degrees, which sounds impossible because truck doesn’t feel hot and coolant never boils when I take off the cap when it’s hot. And when I start it in the morning it’s all over the place the gauge says. The factory gauge acts normal, only goes up a bit when I’m wide open up a hill towing then fan kicks on like normal. I hear that obd2 monitors can’t read coolant temps accurately on 7.3 because they are so old the pcm can’t relay the correct accurate signal to monitor. Just curious on what your opinions are. Considering swapping thermostats for a stock 192 and seeing if that changes. Truck never ever seems too hot though whatsoever under the hood and only occasionally will the fan kick on when I am on it hard up a hill at 90mph. Egt temps never over 1250 also. I suspect it’s just the damn monitor not getting the right signal. Hope you guys have some advice. Thanks again
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I have a 97 F350 long bed crew cab. I monitor my transmission temperature with an Edge CTS 3. Normal driving 195-205, towing uphill on a hot day I’ve never seen over 216. Hope this helps.
I have a 97 F350 long bed crew cab. I monitor my transmission temperature with an Edge CTS 3. Normal driving 195-205, towing uphill on a hot day I’ve never seen over 216. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply man. Are you talking transmission temperature or engine oil temp?
Towing 30,000 lbs with 216 degree oil temps is fine. That is too much weight for that truck.

If you’re seeing 270 degree coolant temperature you should see coolant blowing out of the bottle with force. I would be skeptical that reading is accurate
Towing 30,000 lbs with 216 degree oil temps is fine. That is too much weight for that truck.

If you’re seeing 270 degree coolant temperature you should see coolant blowing out of the bottle with force. I would be skeptical that reading is accurate
Yeah exactly, truck never runs hot and fan only turns on when it’s pulling hard. Factory gauge doesn’t hardly move and never shows that it’s overheating. I think my sct x4 just doesn’t monitor coolant temperature correctly on a 7.3 since it’s not exactly designed for 7.3s. Yeah I know 30k is too much, I needed to move it 12 miles and didn’t have my f550 6.4 around so I used it. Definitely too much for an f250 lol. I appreciate the help guys. I heard anything above 240 degrees on oil temp is too much, but anything below that is normal I guess.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts