Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new on here . Have a big problem with my early 99 7.3 powerstroke with 415k miles . So here is the story . I bought the truck with a long crank condition . Had to crank it for about 30 seconds and then soon as it warmed up it stalled and wouldn't restart . I solved those issues . The problem was bad glow plugs and a bad hpop. No the truck fires on second turn and wont die out no more. Problem Im having now is that it idles perfect but soon as i drive it its a complete dog . Here is a list of things I did so far :
new ipr (oe not the cheap crap )
new icp (not oe)
new exhaust back pressure sensor and tube
2 new fuel injectors ( #4 and #8 both failed and after replacing passed a balance test )
new hpop ( the new pump is leaking on the round back piece . Seen that today. The readings on my scanner at idle are 480-530psi and 2400-2600 on wot)
all new fuel injector o rings (all oe brand )
replaced both under valve cover harnesses and valve cover gaskets .
motorcraft glow plugs .
it seemed like a boost issue so i replaced the turbo pedestal and did a ebpv delete .
turbo o rings are all new too .
turbo was fully checked while out . No play in the shaft and everything else checks out too .
I thought maybe a compression issue so I checked that and the numbers were 370 380 400 400 - 400 380 390 400 . The test was done on a cold engine so should be even a little better .
AI fixed all the codes with the work I did to it except the code for the ebpv but that will stay on because of the delete . When I have it in neutral it will rev to 3000 but it takes a second to get there . Quick at 2000 and then dogging a little to 3000. I can hear the turbo spooling . In gear it wont pick up speed quick and it wont shift right away and then hits hard in second . Also every once in awhile when I rev it in neutral the overdrive flashes and i get code p0500 (speed sensor in differential) and p0720 (transmission output speed sensor) i already replaced the one in the differential . Soon as I restart it the 2 codes are gone . I think more its an engine issue that causes the rough shifting and codes . I pretty much replaces everything except 6 injectors and also didn't replace the map sensor but it reads right on my scanner . I need help with this truck . Oh and also I replaced the fuel pump blown out all the lines , replaced the return valve , pulled gas tank and checked the screens in the pickup and return and also installed a new screener and fuel filter . Fresh diesel and I did the arch oil cleaning which helped a little .it made the truck more quiet . The 6 old injectors are all shimmed not sure if that could cause a issue. I do not have any imbalance codes at all . And i did replace all high pressure oil lines and added a crossover line so number 8 gets more oil. That got rid of the injector tick . I replaced everything got rid of all the codes and i don't have a truck with full power .could use some help . Also have to say the truck does not smoke at all.
Computer Output device Communication Device Gadget Font

that's on idle
Output device Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment Font

that's flooring it . The injector control pressure goes up to 2400-2600 but it takes a second to get there. Maybe the pump has a problem due to the leak

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Looks like your MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor may not hooked up or not reading pressure correctly. The MAP and EBP (Exhaust Back Pressure) sensors should be very close in value. However, when you floor it the EBP bumps to 18 Kpa while the MAP just stays at 14.xx Kpa. The PCM uses the MAP to determine fueling so if it doesn't read the PCM won't add more fuel as the boost levels increase. Can you capture data with the Autel? If so, drive the truck around and get it under actual load (drive up a hill or something), you should see the MAP sensor increase. If the MAP just stays at 14.xx then you know you have problems.

Cj

· Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
4,186 Posts
Welcome to PSN!

Also every once in awhile when I rev it in neutral the overdrive flashes and i get code p0500 (speed sensor in differential) and p0720 (transmission output speed sensor) i already replaced the one in the differential . Soon as I restart it the 2 codes are gone .

I think more its an engine issue that causes the rough shifting and codes .
Take the time to unplug the sensors and carefully inspect the wiring. I had issues with mine and found broken wires inside the insulation. Of course, that threw intermittent codes and rough shifting.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like your MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor may not hooked up or not reading pressure correctly. The MAP and EBP (Exhaust Back Pressure) sensors should be very close in value. However, when you floor it the EBP bumps to 18 Kpa while the MAP just stays at 14.xx Kpa. The PCM uses the MAP to determine fueling so if it doesn't read the PCM won't add more fuel as the boost levels increase. Can you capture data with the Autel? If so, drive the truck around and get it under actual load (drive up a hill or something), you should see the MAP sensor increase. If the MAP just stays at 14.xx then you know you have problems.

Cj
if I remember right it had the map up to 16 or 17 but I have to stay on the pedal a little longer.it will change but it takes a little bit . yes I can record data on it .I will do a run and record it soon as I get the new hpop installed tomorrow, the brand new one I put in 2 weeks ago started leaking the second day . you think the map sensor could be faulty ? I had it unplugged and it didn't change anything .its still the old original one .

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to PSN!

Take the time to unplug the sensors and carefully inspect the wiring. I had issues with mine and found broken wires inside the insulation. Of course, that threw intermittent codes and rough shifting.
I will check that tomorrow , I was thinking about replacing the transmission speed sensor either way and maybe both pigtails . I did put a new sensor in the differential already

· Registered
2,013 Posts
A hole in the tube going to the MAP sensor will "relieve" the pressure the sensor would otherwise see. Hard to say on the sensor.. but it seems the MAP sensors are usually have decent life (I.E. I don't think the sensor is bad). Do you have a mechanical pressure gauge that you can tie into the line going to the MAP sensor? It is a great way to see if the readings the map sensor are within reason.

· Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
4,186 Posts
A hole in the tube going to the MAP sensor will "relieve" the pressure the sensor would otherwise see. Hard to say on the sensor.. but it seems the MAP sensors are usually have decent life (I.E. I don't think the sensor is bad). Do you have a mechanical pressure gauge that you can tie into the line going to the MAP sensor? It is a great way to see if the readings the map sensor are within reason.
Hoses are cheap, so it wouldn't hurt to replace it, BUT . . . I was changing mine and the Original Equipment MAP sensor's hose nipple broke off. Jeez, it's only 23 years old!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here the link to the video for the data
So today I had some time to mess around with the beast . first thing I did was put the new hpop in and the drove it to collect some data .did a video and posted the link above . next thing I did was check the fuel pressure . I had 70psi on idle and about 65-68 on WOT. that seems perfect to me . after that I hooked up a boost gauge and drove it again and she had a little boost but for sure not enough . the gauge went to about 7psi at WOT. after that I took it back and blew some air in the wastegate actuator to make sure that works and it does open and close like it supposed to . at this point its almost 100% that I have a major boost leak . so tomorrow I go down to home depot and get me everything to build me a leak tester. if anyone has another idea let me know please . I hope I can get her back to her glory soon .thank you all for your help .you guys are awesome .

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, the issue is leaking up pipes. they are leaking on both ends that's why I'm building some boost but not good boost. thank you all for your help. I will have the new pipes on Sunday and will post another update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts