Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at two different trucks to buy. One is a 99 350 single axle stock with 140xxx miles. The other is an 03 6.0 with 105xxx miles with exaust chip already both are around the same price. Any advice on which one to get? It would not be a problem if I haven't herd so many bad things about the 6.0.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,569 Posts
If you ever want to make decent power without haveing to refinance you're house go with tje 6.0. However make sure you inspect it very well do as much research on it as.possible, of you may have to refinace you're house to keep it on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
i would go with the 7.3 based on the info you gave above it is stock....(wich means they probly didnt use it to hotrod around in..... for under a grand you should be able to put guages and a 6 pos chip on it with custom tunes and be over 300rwhp wich should be plenty i would think....unless you trying to make a race truck out of it.
 

·
<--Blue Slut
Joined
·
116 Posts
I'd go with the 7.3, especially if you're not lookin into building the motor too much and lookin for a shizzton of power, the reliability of the 7.3 is way up there, however if you've got the funds to build a 6.0 and know what to do with it, then go with the newer of the trucks. Either way you'll be happy IMO
 

·
STILL LEARNING
Joined
·
18,324 Posts
The 7.3 is about as bullet proof as you can get, in either stock form or with chip, intake and exhaust. Stock a 7.3 is 250-275hp(at the crank) and with the things listed above you would be looking at about 350-375)at the crank

The 6.0 on the other hand is pretty potent(325hp) in is stock format, but is also know to be problematic(head gaskets and egr cooler). When you start modifying the 6.0 to get more power the head gaskets and egr cooler become even MORE of a concern. But they are really Fast trucks.

It all comes down to what your budget can handle.
the 7.3 w chip, exhaust, gauges and intake you can do for about 1000. but dont neglect the trans, weather stick(clutch upgrade) or auto(bigger cooler and torque converter)

the 6.0, the tuner, exhaust, gauges, intake are about the same. BUT headgaskets and egr are 1800+ if you are paying someone to do it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
7.3 ........


You would have to refinance you're house just to keep the 6.0 on the road .
Plus that is a forged rod motor .
 

·
WINNING
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
7.3 with out a thought....I would never buy a 6.0..
Have you ever owned one??? I don't think people can give a good opinion if they have never owned one before...

To the OP, I had an '03 6.0 and LOVED it!!! Keep up on the Maint., EGR delete, and custom tunes and you'll have a solid 400hp truck. Gaskets are obviously an issue with these trucks as well, but if you treat it right and use your head, you will be fine. I studded mine and did everything and never had a problem. My dad's '03 has almost 190,000 on it, stock gaskets non studded, EGR delete, Straight pipe, gauges, and custom tunes for the last 40,000 miles and haven't had a lick of trouble with puking or anything like that. Did just replace the HPOP, but other than that, truck runs pretty well!

-French
 

·
WINNING
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
7.3 ........


You would have to refinance you're house just to keep the 6.0 on the road .
Plus that is a forged rod motor .
I will say 90% of the problems I have seen with 6.0's come from self inflicted abuse from the owners and lack of maint. the other 10% is from poor design of the EGR system and lack of head bolts from the factory.
 

·
Still learning
Joined
·
577 Posts
unless the 6.0 has the studs and head gasket redone go with the 7.3 and its not hard to get a 7.3 fast for under a grand
using the term "fast" a little loosely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Is it going to cost more to get 400+ HP in the 7.3 or build up the 6.0?
well, put 175cc single shots(1500) live tune(500) and a 38r(1300) then a convertor(900) and youll have a reliable enough 400rwhp 7.3

not sure on the 6.0 but i know its a tad cheaper to do 400, in my opinion 375rwhp out of a set of properly tuned single shots and no other mods other than a convertor and vb are the way to go with a 7.3 without dumping loads of money into it. and 375 in a 7.3 feels good.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top