Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who's done it? I'm seriously considering getting rid of this electric temperamental POS that they designed the wiring to get cut repeatedly and never work right. Heard good things about the switch, but wanted to hear first hand if there are any down sides to it. New clutch, flushed system, new water pump, and it still can't keep my trans temps down when AC is on in this 100F heat....let alone keep oil temps down. Coolant runs 204-208 just cruising. Not super high, but not acceptable in my opinion. I tow daily, so I'm thinking simplicity is the way to go.

I assume it'll trip a code from no input from the electric clutch, but what else....anything?

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts
why no new T stat ? and your trans temp shouldn't be an issue if everything is working normal it's a cool running unit
wires getting cut repeatedly isn't a Ford issue as much as whomever touched it doing work and they are not notoriously failure prone either
that being said i have seen people love the 7.3 fan and others remove it later on

i much prefer being able to flip a switch on my stock 6.0 snowplow clutch and hav it full on if I desire ( yes that also throws a soft cod)

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it shoots to 180 (trans)quick when towing....yea I know that's nothing to be alarmed about, but I've towed cross country across I70 and it never got over 170. Now all of a sudden it's reading higher. I saw 210 a couple weeks ago after the truck had sat idling with AC on for about 10 mins. Shot 165-210 just sitting there. Yes, I know there is no air flow over the rad....but shouldn't the friggen fan have kicked on?

Forgot to mention tstat is new as well. As is the fan clutch. I know I'm probably paranoid, as these temps aren't all that bad, but I'm a stickler for things running at optimum performance. I want my cooling system to be tip top. I want the truck to run tip top. If anything starts to vary, I correct it. OCD....maybe. LOL

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts
i watch all that and am paranoid also

the reason the 6.0 has two transmission coolers is because of the potential lack of air flow like backing a trailer or sitting in traffic

the fan is like a potentiometer and you barley hear them go full lock

but your new higher temps are a concern but not a problem

did u do the t stat to combat this or did this happen after the new T stat ??

·
Administrator
8,177 Posts
The only thing I've heard that people dislike is its noisy when it comes on. I have a 7.3 and I guess I'm used to it. I prefer mechanical over electrical all day. My clutch works perfect all the time. And it's 14 years old.

If you don't like it, they tend to sell pretty quick.

·
Administrator
8,177 Posts
No I don't. I think just the obs guys run the 6.0 fan.

I'm not sure if the fan noise is different between the two styles.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do all 7.3's use,the same clutch? Or is the OBS clutch the only one the 6.0 fan will bolt to?

Well, I said tstat is new....it was changed back in November when I had the truck torn down....along with the huge system flush, new water pump, etc. Only had the higher temps this summer, but it has been quite hot this year.

·
Administrator
8,177 Posts
Bpd says to use just the 97 clutch on the 6.0's due to size and clearances. I'm not sure about the other ones. All the 7.3 clutches work in the same principle. I believe all obs trucks can use the 6.0 fan blades.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the 7.3 fan clutch on mine. There is no down side. Towing in Utah, high 90 and trans rarely breaks 165. Water stays 195-200 towing.
Heres the weird part. My deltas are 4 degrees different unloaded. New oil cooler less than 5k miles ago. With the 7.3 fan they run about 12 towing 8k at 70 mph. Also, towing a grade water wont go much over 200 and oil 215. Fan will fully engage and cool water down to 190 by top of hill and oil comes down a little slower.
Something to look at. A year ago I cleaned a/c condenser, intercooler and radiator fins. One trip I had high temps and found the fins dirty as hell again. Installed screen on grill and gtg

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So basically the 7.3 fan is pulling more air....

I can deal with how loud it is. If the thing works, I'm game. I'm tired of watching temps all the time.

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts
well the7.3 fan clutch is only activated by the clutch temp
and not electronically
so it will also spin when not needed like at speed where as the 6.0 uses multiple parameters and speed is one

·
Registered
142 Posts
My original 6.0 and parts store replacement were inconsistent at best. IMO, way too many factors went into determining whether truck would overheat or not pulling grade.
The 7.3 does engage at low temp/low speeds. Which doesn't bother me and A/C stays cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts