Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello psn! my 97 7.3 ford sometimes goes into this low loping sound. when you first start it, its fine, but after 30 seconds of idling it'll go into a rough lope. yes, she does have 350k+ miles on her, but she never used to ever do that. any help would be great!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
You might wanna clean the SS screen on the inside drivers side about 1/3 way down inside the fuel filter canister. Drain a little fuel off, pull filter and with a flash lite, Q tips and a small mirror, clean inside the hole until you can see the stainless steel screen. If you’ve never done this there will probably be a fair amount of black sludge on the screen. This should help your idle.
Cheers,
j

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
yeah, never done that before, actually never herd of the stainless steel screen in the canister, so ima go check that out.. thanks!
Sure NP, this screen as I recall is on the return line back to the tank, keeping it clean will help make it run smoother. As your injector o rings wear and deteriorate this is where it gets caught up. You’ll also notice your fuel filter will become black, with worn injectors.
j

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh definitely see what you mean. and yes you are correct, it is exactly where you said. still haven't checked if there is black, (didn't have time), but yes i see what you mean, and what could turn out to having black sludge in the fuel filters. You have helped me out a lot sir! thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts