Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 F-450 (Super Dity), 2 WD, 12' dump bed, Banks turbo kit and chip
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95, Super Duty, 2 WD, 7.3 with Banks Turbo kit and chip

Yesterday I parked nose down on a pretty steep hill for about 2 hours. Full tank of diesel. I was able to back up fine and drive down the hill but within about 2 blocks, the check engine light came on I had lost so much power, just driving down the street was a challenge. 30 mph max on flat and if I hit a slight hill I was worried I was going to stall out. Parked (on flat) and called a tow truck. After 1 hour wait, I fired it up again. No check engine light and it was running fine. I jumped on the freeway and made it home.

Something similar happened briefly on the freeway about 1 month ago. I switched gas tanks and it seemed to go back to running fine.

After a bit of research after that happened, I was planning on pulling the pick up out of that tank and seeing if the screen was blocked with algae or something. Now I guess I need to check both tanks.

I was hoping to get some other suggestions just in case that isn't the issue.

Thanks,
Eric

I thought I'd add this. Yesterday when driving with no power, I switched back to the tank I was avoiding using (the one I was on when I had the issue on the freeway). It seemed to lose even more power, to the point I thought I was going to stall. I switched back to the other tank and I got a bit more power to the point I didn't stall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some reason my scan tool isn't picking up data from this truck. I'm going to borrow the scan tool from the previous owner and check.
When I get the code, I'll post it.
Will the scan tool monitor fuel pressure? If not, what is the best way to monitor fuel pressure?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Scan tools will not monitor fuel pressure but a capable one will check quite a few perimeters on these trucks that will cause running and starting problem, just not fuel.

To check the fuel pressure you can use a pencil type air pressure gauge on the valve on the drivers side of the filter housing. Just wrap it in some rags so that you don't get sprayed with fuel. You will need someone to crank over the engine to check it. While cranking you should see a minimum of 20 psi and close to 50 psi when running.

I also agree that if you got the check engine light then there is a code stored. Quite a few of us are using FORScan Lite on a smart phone along with a ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter to read codes and get live data.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like the last fuel filter installed was not the correct one. See the picture. I'd guess none of the fuel was being filtered and allowed debris to plug the injectors. See all the crud I scooped out of the bottom of fuel bowl as well. I'm not sure if that is common for a 95 with 135K miles, but I'm guessing without the correct filter, some of that was pumped through to the injectors.

I cleaned the rear tank, have a new side tank on order (too much rust to save the old), I replaced the rear pick up and screen (the old one was rusty and the screen had broken off). I fired up the truck after cleaning the bowl. It runs but feels like it's missing. I added an injector cleaning additive and am hoping it'll clean out the injectors with time .... If I'm correct about all this!
Automotive tire Rim Gas Audio equipment Auto part
Wood Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Rock

·
Registered
795 Posts
The crap in the bottom has NOT gone through the filter, so no, it didn't get in the injectors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm assuming the fuel goes from the outside to the inside of the filter and to the high pressure pump, or is it the other way around?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Truck seemed to be running fine, and then I backed down my driveway. Half way down it started running rough, low power and check engine light came on. It doesn't have enough power to pull itself out of the driveway. Can't help but think this is related to the truck being at an angle on hill or driveway, but that could just be a coincidence. There were a lot oh steep hills on my way to home, so, probably just a coincidence.

I'm going to look into ForSCAN lite and adaptor or maybe the Bosch OBD 1300 scan tool.

** Just looked up ForSCAN for IOS, They have suspended it due to lack of payment from Apple. Any suggestions for Scan tools, is the OBD 1300 a good choice?

Thanks,

Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts