Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 95 7.3 with a t6 that has been 5 speed swapped. I dont know what tunes are on the t6. When I get on the truck it will randomly loose all throttle response untill the rpms go back down then the truck acts fine I was wondering if any of all have encountered this! My first thought was it still has the auto pcm and that it is telling itself to change gears and it cant so its cutting the fuel or the t6 tunes are to hot for a stock truck? Thanks!

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Hmm, first thing that comes to my mind is the tunes have an overlapping injector pulse, which causes the pcm to send "idle" to the IDM.

I would be looking at tuning.

Does it only do it when at WOT? Or is it anytime over half throttle? Only when under a load? Only when in a specific tune? Can you monitor IPR% and ICP Psi?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a obd1 truck so I can't monitor ipr or ipc. I haven't played with the tunes enough to know, I just figured out my icp sensor has small amounts oil come out of the back. I have a new one on order. It has happened twice once getting on the expressway when I was on the gas and the hammered on to fit in traffic. The other time I was at cruising speed on the interstate and got on it I was under 3 grand and it had no throttle response untill my speedo dropped down to about 70. It is 355 geared. What are you referring to WOT?

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
It is a obd1 truck so I can't monitor ipr or ipc. I haven't played with the tunes enough to know, I just figured out my icp sensor has small amounts oil come out of the back. I have a new one on order. It has happened twice once getting on the expressway when I was on the gas and the hammered on to fit in traffic. The other time I was at cruising speed on the interstate and got on it I was under 3 grand and it had no throttle response untill my speedo dropped down to about 70. It is 355 geared. What are you referring to WOT?
All obs trucks are OBD2, they just need to be enabled. The dealer can do this for you. Then you can monitor all the pids the pcm has available.

WOT is Wide Open Throttle.

If you dont have any history on the TS chip, then I would remove it and see if there is any difference. If the problem goes away, you should probably get the chip reburned, or sell it and buy a Hydra tuner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought obd2 had to have like 16 wires going to it. My truck only has 6 going to the port. So If i take it to the dealer they can make it work with a obd2 scan tool?

·
Registered
476 Posts
The port needs to be enabled... I have heard that most dealers did so when the trucks came in for updates/repairs. It is my understanding that the 7.3 uses the "heavy duty diesel" comm which is not truly OBD2 compliant (it is Jxxxx something). As such OBD readers from the popular parts houses do not work, or even to read codes. Take a look at FORScan.org and get an adapter recommended by the site. I have and OBSLink SX (low speed CAN only) and am looking to upgrade to the EX model (low and high speed CAN). The SX and EX are usb based for use with a computer or tablet. OBDlink has a bluetooth dongle as well and several members speak highly of the BTFX bluetooth/wifi unit to connect to a phone.

Cj

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
I also have the BAFX bluetooth ELM327 reader, it works with my phone, tablet, and laptop, works great with torque and ForScan.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts