Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sorry if I missed it, but what is done as far as power adders on this truck? Not talking intake exhaust etc...I mean chip, tuner, downloader whatever you choose to call it. If theres none, then you could potentially pick up a little better mileage with a good chip, and tunes writtne for that, along with some added hp.
Couple of things I noticed...EGT had to back out to keep it under 1300?
With no power adders you shouldnt be seeing 1300. I'm guessing exhaust leaks are eating some of your mpg.
Another thing ya might wanna look into is a new cps. Mine seemed just fine before I changed it out at 180,000 + miles. But just the difference in sound told me the old one was tired.
Hi smorris: The truck is stock right now except for a Tymer air filter and a 4" exhaust. I also polished the Turbo Y pipe.

In some of the MPG tests that I posted earlier in this thread I was using a DRPrefomance Fuel Injector Fooler. When I had it hooked up the EGTs went above 1250F and I had to ease up on the peddle. In other tests that I didn't film my EGTs hit 1400F briefly with the DRPreformance chip on (even with the big intake and exhaust). I have since returned the chip.

I pretty am sure I don't have any pre-turbo exhaust leaks. I have inspected it closely and we don't have much of a problem with rust here.

I have changed the cps and didn't see any change. I kept the old cps as a spare.

Mars

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Uppies are up pipes. The pipes routing the exhaust from your manifolds to the turbo. Look hard because I didn't see anything leaking on mine but it was. It was directly on the back side of the pipe where I couldn't see.

Ever seen jeff dunham? His prius jokes are great!
Hi vanderchevy18: I have inspected all the pre-turbo pipes very closely with a mirror and my finger tips. But that was about 15,000 miles ago. Also I listened with a garden hose. I will install a boost gauge soon. It should show if I am getting adequate boost. We don't have much of a problem with rust here in WNC.
Mars

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi vanderchevy18: I have inspected all the pre-turbo pipes very closely with a mirror and my finger tips. But that was about 15,000 miles ago. Also I listened with a garden hose. I will install a boost gauge soon. It should show if I am getting adequate boost. We don't have much of a problem with rust here in WNC.
Mars
Rust isnt the cause of exhaust leaks so much as expansion and contraction. The constant heat and cool cycles will eventually lead to a fail in the seal between the up pipes and the y collector that mounts to the exhaust housing on the turbo.

If you are running stock tuning it would be easy to overlook a leak in that area as most look for soot buildup that can be minimal in stock config.

If you have high egts and low boost but your turbo is good and you dont have boost leaks then I would suggest removing the turbo and replacing the donut gaskets. You should also inspect the uppies to confirm that they arent too pitted for a good seal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
IMO cold air versus underhood air has no difference. The turbo superheats the air as it compresses it anyway. So what's the point.
I think that the theory is that every degree that you can lower intake air temp results in a lower EGT and cooler air is more dense with more O2. I'm not sure how much difference it could make. It is probably more important when you are on the ragged edge of piston melt.
Mars

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Has anyone mentioned a bed cover? I know that and good custom tunes put me at 20-21 mpg (F250, 4x4, crew cab, auto trans and 3.73 gears).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Gonna be my nxt purchase to try and help mpg and as much as I hate to I've thought about the sport mirrors to see if that would help mpg's...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run edge tunner, volant cold air, 4" straight pipe turbo back. 2wd dually.. seeing 19mpg and as high as 21mpg.. pulling somewhere between 12-17mpg

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I run edge tunner, volant cold air, 4" straight pipe turbo back. 2wd dually.. seeing 19mpg and as high as 21mpg.. pulling somewhere between 12-17mpg
That's pretty good, but I'll bet your motor and tranny are screaming HELP with that edge tuner.. Ever thought about getting a custom tuner?

·
Your Daddy
198 Posts
Best tank I ever got on my SD: 20.3mpg.
Worst tank: 11.3mpg. Towing 12k on 14% grades.
Normal average city driving 16.4mpg.
Normal highway 18.5mpg.
Above is lifetime on my truck(170k miles)

All on 9 year old tunes from David at DI.

Mileage is more dependant on your right foot than anything else.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Best tank I ever got on my SD: 20.3mpg.
Worst tank: 11.3mpg. Towing 12k on 14% grades.
Normal average city driving 16.4mpg.
Normal highway 18.5mpg.
Above is lifetime on my truck(170k miles)

All on 9 year old tunes from David at DI.

Mileage is more dependant on your right foot than anything else.
Oh I've got you beat on both accounts.

Best tank ever - 22.5 mpg
Worse tank ever-......8 LOLLOL

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
I commend your attempt at increasing mileage, here's some more mods to try...
#6 Upgraded HPOP
Also
singleshot injectors.

Just curious about those two suggestions. Would the combination of higher fuel pressure and improved injectors make a difference due to better atomization of the fuel?
Can anyone think of the payback time/mileage on changing out those two things? I've no clue of the cost, but it doesn't sound like a cheap/inexpensive mod.;)

·
Diesel junkie!!!
613 Posts
Just curious about those two suggestions. Would the combination of higher fuel pressure and improved injectors make a difference due to better atomization of the fuel?
Can anyone think of the payback time/mileage on changing out those two things? I've no clue of the cost, but it doesn't sound like a cheap/inexpensive mod.;)
If your gonna put another 200k miles on your rig, it would be money well spent.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hpop- better atomization
single shot injectors- no pilot shot. A little louder but it uses less fuel.

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts
If your gonna put another 200k miles on your rig, it would be money well spent.
LOL Now if I live that long!!LOL

·
Olde gear jammer
2,256 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Winter blend fuel will produce reduced mileage for diesels and gassers. Perfectly normal; for me its about 1 mpg for my truck and 2-3 mpg for my car.

Tymar is a lot louder (love the sound of mine). However, it is air and turbo noise that's louder. Is your EBPV cycling open and closed? That could be the other wastegate-like noise you are hearing.

Take a look at this thread, compare your symptoms with what I listed and let us know your thoughts.

Why the EBPS/EBPV tube needs to be cleaned - PowerStrokeNation

Best,
Jim
Hi Jim: I finally got around to cleaning the EPV and tube. I don't have any long trip data yet but I have driven about 15 miles since the last fill-up and the MPG gauge reads 18.2. It has been a couple years since I have seen those numbers typically the gauge will read 14-15 MPG for the same type of driving. When I get longer term data I will post it.
Mars

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi Jim: I finally got around to cleaning the EPV and tube. I don't have any long trip data yet but I have driven about 15 miles since the last fill-up and the MPG gauge reads 18.2. It has been a couple years since I have seen those numbers typically the gauge will read 14-15 MPG for the same type of driving.
The old " Lie O Meter".. that thing is never accurate...

·
Snowboard season cometh..
274 Posts
Hi 444getsitdone: I am not dumb enough to say that I wouldn't take a Prius if some one gave it to me. I would take the Prius, sell it, and immediately buy a VW TDI and pocket the difference in price.:D
Mars
P.S. Every once in a while I hit a speed bump with my Super Duty and I am never sure if it was a speed bump or a Prius.LOL
I have a '96 Passat TDI that gets 38/40mpg commuting, and 48/50mpg going 75mph highway. I bought it when diesel was $4.50 so I paid $5800. Still $20k less than a Prius.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 97 f250 crew cab short bed. Last year before you had to smog your vehicles, also last year before body change and the addition of the inner coolers. YES im a little bummed I don't have an inner cooler but plan on putting one on in a few years with the water injection system. Anyways I have over 258k on motor and average about 15.6 mpg highway at 75mph. Stock intake (as those cool air ones ruin engines and without piping bring in hotter air) 3" diamond eye turbo down pipe to stock exhaust with a cat delete kit. So to be stock pipe with muffler delete kit, but all be luck to see .5 mpg gain. Also i have evolution tuner on it, set at 60 now but can go to 100hp gain. Yes the chip did actually give me power cuz with out it that motors kinda dogging it.

i should be posting more about mpg when i get a full 4" straight pipe, inter cooler, and water injection. This is all for lower EGT but should see a little more power and if im luck maybe 1 to 2 mpg gain.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Holy thread revival!

I'll admit though beings it was on the first page it did lead me to read all the posts!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts