Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
I call bs on the tornado air management....
:whs:

along with 95% of the fuel improvement things on the Tv.

if you want better mpg, 3.73 gear's. unless your towing real heavy where mpg doesn't really matter. i average 18mpg with my truck that's hand calculated filler neck to filler neck. 10-15 min highway at 70, and 10-15 min back road 30-45.

·
DON
147 Posts
I have kept close track of my fuel mileage since the truck was new. When the truck was new on long trips traveling 70-75 I got 13.5 mpg (empty) or less. When the ultra low sulfur fuel came out me MPG under the same type of driving went down to about 12.5. After all of the upgrade in the videos plus An over sized Tymer Air Filter MOD. Now I get 14.5 at 70-75. My MPG goes up the slower I drive. The best I ever got on a long trip is 18.62 on a 2750 miles trip going 55-65 . But on that trip I was running a hydrogen (HHO generator. I documented that trip in this video:
MPG (mileage) Test 2790 miles with Dry Cell HHO F350 Superduty 7.3 Diesel
Mars
im geting 17 mpg on highway driving 67 mph thats with houston fuel i got fuel in midland texas and got 15

·
Diesel junkie!!!
613 Posts
I truely envy the guy getting 23-24 mpg!!! 18 is the very best I have ever seen in nine years.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i only avg 17 city don't do much highway drivin anymore. was only get avg 15-16 w/ 35's now i have 305's and gettin the 16-17

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If you are not adjusting for the tire size your mileage /odometer is gonna be off.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Mars, you are never going to get the mileage some of the guys have reported here due to the 4:11 gears; your RPMs are too high at highway speeds.

Has your mileage gotten worse recently?
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Mars, you are never going to get the mileage some of the guys have reported here due to the 4:11 gears; your RPMs are too high at highway speeds.

Has your mileage gotten worse recently?
Best,
Jim
Hi JerseyJim: Yeah I know about the 4:11s but I need them since we live in the mountains and some times with a heavy trailer I have to down shift into 2nd on hills as it is. If I put in taller gears I would have to go into first.

My fuel mileage has gone down by about 2 MPG lately, in all types of driving. I can't figure out why. I have a strange noise that started in the fall and has gotten slightly worse since then or maybe I am just more sensitive to it. I sounds like the waste gate is opening much more often than it should. I have recently removed the OEM air filter box and installed one of the giant Semi type air filters (Tymer mod). Maybe the noise was there all along and it was muffled by the air filter box. I have been planning to record the sound and post a video to get help diagnosing it.
However I have had several other people tell me that their MPGs have dropped recently. It makes me wonder if there is something different about the fuel. Was there a new law that took affect? My MPGs dropped back when the ultra low sulfur fuel came out also.
Mars

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Hi JerseyJim: Yeah I know about the 4:11s but I need them since we live in the mountains and some times with a heavy trailer I have to down shift into 2nd on hills as it is. If I put in taller gears I would have to go into first.

My fuel mileage has gone down by about 2 MPG lately, in all types of driving. I can't figure out why. I have a strange noise that started in the fall and has gotten slightly worse since then or maybe I am just more sensitive to it. I sounds like the waste gate is opening much more often than it should. I have recently removed the OEM air filter box and installed one of the giant Semi type air filters (Tymer mod). Maybe the noise was there all along and it was muffled by the air filter box. I have been planning to record the sound and post a video to get help diagnosing it.
However I have had several other people tell me that their MPGs have dropped recently. It makes me wonder if there is something different about the fuel. Was there a new law that took affect? My MPGs dropped back when the ultra low sulfur fuel came out also.
Mars
Winter blend fuel will produce reduced mileage for diesels and gassers. Perfectly normal; for me its about 1 mpg for my truck and 2-3 mpg for my car.

Tymar is a lot louder (love the sound of mine). However, it is air and turbo noise that's louder. Is your EBPV cycling open and closed? That could be the other wastegate-like noise you are hearing.

Take a look at this thread, compare your symptoms with what I listed and let us know your thoughts.

Why the EBPS/EBPV tube needs to be cleaned - PowerStrokeNation

Best,
Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Mars
I have created a thread to get help figuring out this sound.
Here is the link:

Help me with this sound 2001 7.3L

Thanks Mars

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Sorry if I missed it, but what is done as far as power adders on this truck? Not talking intake exhaust etc...I mean chip, tuner, downloader whatever you choose to call it. If theres none, then you could potentially pick up a little better mileage with a good chip, and tunes writtne for that, along with some added hp.
Couple of things I noticed...EGT had to back out to keep it under 1300?
With no power adders you shouldnt be seeing 1300. I'm guessing exhaust leaks are eating some of your mpg.
Another thing ya might wanna look into is a new cps. Mine seemed just fine before I changed it out at 180,000 + miles. But just the difference in sound told me the old one was tired.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi Everyone:
A while ago I did some work on my 2001 F350 Super Duty with a 7.3L Powerstroke, auto trans, 4:11 axles, four wheel drive, crew cab and dual rear wheels. I have had the truck since it was new and it now has 117,000 miles on it. The fuel mileage has always been pretty crummy. I decide to see what I could do to improve the MPG. I made these mods:
1) I added an EGT gauge.
2) Installed an Injection pressure fooler. (since removed)
3) I replaced the Intercooler and engine valley boots.
4) Polished the Intercooler/Turbo "Y pipe".
5) And installed a 4" stainless exhaust.
I made a four part Youtube video that chronicles the whole project. Here are the links:

7.3 Liter Powerstroke MPG Upgrades Part 1

7.3 Liter Powerstroke MPG Upgrades Part 2

7.3 Liter Powerstroke MPG Upgrades Part 3

7.3 Liter Powerstroke MPG Upgrades Part 4

Please Comment, share and "Like" my videos.
Thanks, Mars
P.S. A picture is worth a thousand words and a 10 minute video has about one hundred thousand pictures in it.

I commend your attempt at increasing mileage, here's some more mods to try...

#1 3.73:1 gears or lower.....or a Gear Vendors overdrive unit
#2 Good econmy chip that otimizes HEUI pressure, timing and Locks up TC much earlier with lower RPM shift points
#3 DIY IDM mod
#4 Better breathing intake
#5 Thermo tec wrap on up pipes and turbo
#6 Upgraded HPOP
:ford:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

#2 Good econmy chip that otimizes HEUI pressure, timing and Locks up TC much earlier with lower RPM shift points
#3 DIY IDM mod
#6 Upgraded HPOP
Also
singleshot injectors.
Ensure you don't have leaking uppies.
Remove any extra weight including spare tire, tools, wife, etc.
Buy a prius.
:hehe:

Good mileage is awesome but there has to be some common sense involved. Its pretty incredible these engines get over 10 mpg. Let alone 18 or 20. Hypermiling an F-250 with a ginormous 7.3l powerstroke is a just a tad on the oxymoron side of things. I would say that if you could do all the modifications listed and get 20ish mpg's, I would call it a win. Im not knockin ya. I too commend your efforts. Just giving my opinion.

·
That could be
240 Posts
dont get a prius :lame:, I have a 7500 lbs 99 F350 that gets 20 MPG. :redspotdance:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
dont get a prius :lame:, I have a 7500 lbs 99 F350 that gets 20 MPG. :redspotdance:
Hi 444getsitdone: I am not dumb enough to say that I wouldn't take a Prius if some one gave it to me. I would take the Prius, sell it, and immediately buy a VW TDI and pocket the difference in price.:D
Mars
P.S. Every once in a while I hit a speed bump with my Super Duty and I am never sure if it was a speed bump or a Prius.LOL

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Also
singleshot injectors.
Ensure you don't have leaking uppies.
Remove any extra weight including spare tire, tools, wife, etc.
Buy a prius.
:hehe:

Good mileage is awesome but there has to be some common sense involved. Its pretty incredible these engines get over 10 mpg. Let alone 18 or 20. Hypermiling an F-250 with a ginormous 7.3l powerstroke is a just a tad on the oxymoron side of things. I would say that if you could do all the modifications listed and get 20ish mpg's, I would call it a win. Im not knockin ya. I too commend your efforts. Just giving my opinion.
Hi vanderchevy18: I would like to get single shot injectors maybe this year.
What are "leaking uppies"?
Thanks, Mars

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Uppies are up pipes. The pipes routing the exhaust from your manifolds to the turbo. Look hard because I didn't see anything leaking on mine but it was. It was directly on the back side of the pipe where I couldn't see.

Ever seen jeff dunham? His prius jokes are great!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

#3 DIY IDM mod
#6 Upgraded HPOP
Hi KB3MMX:
1) Taller gears are out of the question since the majority of the miles I put on my truck are at less than 50MPH with heavy loads or heavy trailers in the mountains of Western NC. The Gear Vendors overdrive unit probably would not save me much fuel but I would like one for the extra gears (8 instead of 4). The extra gears would help with the towing on the hills.

2) As soon as I do some more work on the turbo I will get a custom multi-program tune.

3) All the links to the DIY IDM mod seems to be broken. Many posts talk about it but the Howto links goto godaddy.com. Do you have a good link?

4) I have already installed the semi truck sized paper filter (Tymer MOD?). I would like to rig it up as a cold air intake. Right now it just sucks air out of the engine compartment.

I use the long trips to show MPG improvements since long trips reduce the impact of variables like stop and go, tank to tank fill up differences etc. Some of my earlier MPG test used the same 20 miles route. The route included 4 stop lights. The number of times I had to stop for a light varied and the MPG number varied too. Also If one person pulled out in front of me and made me slow down or stop it skewed the results. On a long trip I can set the cruise control and drive until my bladder reaches its limit. I figure that if a MOD saves fuel on a long trip it will save fuel on a short trip too. It is just harder to get an accurate MPG measurement on a short trip.

Mars

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
IMO cold air versus underhood air has no difference. The turbo superheats the air as it compresses it anyway. So what's the point.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts