Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 7.3 l with 232k miles with an down pipe and an edge programmer. A few months ago my truck would slightly hesitate at about 2,000 rpm going down the highway. i noticed my injector pressure would drop about 200-300 PSI. I didn't think it was a big deal as it never lost power. 2 months ago when i accelerated an incredible amount of white smoke poured from my exhaust. It stopped after a few seconds and only does this when i accelerate harder than normal. At this time I noticed the hesitation went away and started noticing i was losing coolant. Have not found any leaks even though I'm loosing a couple gallons every 60 miles or so. There was never any loss in power and the oil looked good. It also has gotten harder to start than normal.

Driving it to work the other day the motor cut out 3 times in a 30 second span and on the 3rd time the motor died. i tried starting it but it won't start. the motor turns over but will not fire.

I could really use some advice as i try to do all my own work but not sure where to start at this time. maybe a head gasket or i have read some things about the injector sleeves possibly cracked????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just my opinion, Losing fuel pressure could be your fuel tank filters. I have a 2002 ford 7.3 litre and dropped my fuel tank and removed the two fine screens in the fuel pickup, The no start could be caused by the injection pressure Regulator (IPR) which is on your Fuel filter housing and your icp sensor could be faulty, Try unplugging it to see if it starts. The loss of coolant I am not sure if you don't have coolant on the ground. There is plenty of videos of all three on youtube.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check the coolant for fuel. You could be losing pressure as the coolant system operates at a lower pressure then the fuel system. If you do have a cracked injector cup the higher fuel pressure will push fuel into the coolant. And as your loosing a couple of gallons every 60 miles I'd say your heads need to be pulled. Does the exhaust smell sweet?

Cj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It smells like unburnt diesel on start up and white smoke comes out the exhaust when its cold (40 degrees)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Kev,

I have not had this problem myself, but everything I have read tilts towards blown head gaskets. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable members will confirm. The unburned diesel smell when cold is normal. A cracked injector cup usually leaks fuel into the coolant.

Cj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts