Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in progress

started with this truck that is just worn out all over and would nickel and dime me to death if i started in on it. the engine is in great shape though

and this 2006 in pretty good condition all around

engine is out and cleaned up a little

go fast goodies ready to go in. 160/30 single shots, hydra, bd up pipes, bd billet wheel already in the turbo, 4" turbo back exhaust not pictured, 600 hp heavy duty transmission and TCS triple disc converter also ready to go

the horror show that is the f350 dash

underhood is ready for the 7.3

-underhood harness switchover isn't a big deal
-under dash harness sucks to change over
-going to try and use the 2006 cab harness and just splice some wiring to make it work with the '03 dash harness

the ABS pumps between '03 and '06 are different and are located in different spots under the hood. I am in the process of cutting back the harness loom to reach the '06 pump location and will need to cut and flare the '06 brake lines to put fittings on them that will go into the '03 pump. there are 5 lines to connect into the pump and ford used a different fitting on every line and use a completely different set of fittings all together between '03 and '06

all in all this isn't too bad, the dash is definitely the worst part and is the most time consuming.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've done a swap like this in the past and just a FYI there's alittle more.to it than splicing wirws make sure that you use EVERYTHING you can off the 03 because that 06 fuse box is gunna be alittle different depending on what trim level it is the plugs on the back maybe the same but the pins inside are probly different. The wiring is the worst part by far. Let me know if you need anything I have a dash harness out of a 05 and a 01 I'm selling also have 2 misc fuse boxs and ABS controller out of a 02 a VSM out of a 01 and a security module out of a 01 excursion so I have a few items you may be interested in if things go south on ya. Remember grounds are key !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did you post this up on the org a couple weeks ago? I remember commenting on it. Excited to see how it goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did but everyone that posted just told me not to do it. i think a lot of those guys are really scared of pulling an engine out of a truck. i'm getting a lot more good info over here. i'll post up on the org again when i'm done

i finished flaring brake lines and relocating the ABS pump. everyone has told me just to bypass the ABS system but for the 4 years that I drove the white 7.3 truck, any low traction conditions that would cause easy tire lock up while the torque converter was locked up, would stall the engine. this means really hard steering and braking which can be really bad in some situations.

everything else is pretty straight forward so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does anyone know the purpose of this wiring that comes from the cab harness and goes through the floor in my '03? the 2006 doesn't have this wiring. some of it come from the passenger side of the cab at the front kick panel.

picture is of the driver's side floor just inside of the door

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tail lights, trailer brake and fuel gauge, not fuel pump on the '03

i discovered after dropping the 7.3 in the truck that the 6.0 cab's firewall is set back about 1.5" vs the 2003 truck so there is lots of room to remove valve covers now.

i ended up splicing the 2006 cab wiring to the 2003 cab wiring which has been interesting and very time consuming. Ford did some crazy wiring in the 2003 that makes no sense. in 2003 the front seat belts have a solenoid connected to the air bag computer under the dash. in 2006 they didn't do this but the 2006 air bag computer communicates with the 6.0 pcm so I think I'm going to end up changing out the front seat belts.

the speaker wiring in the '03 was designed by someone that should be in an institution with the wiring running in circles around the cab. i am going to abandon that and run new speaker wires.

the fuel gauge wiring has a wire that goes directly to the wiring harness through the floor on the left side of the driver's seat, the other fuel gauge wire goes from the cluster, to the passenger side kick panel, under the front seats and out through the driver's side wire harness..... along with the trailer brake wiring too. i am still shaking my head at this.

the 6.0 fuel pump was easy to wire up (didn't wire the heater) the 6.0 fuel lines were too short but are easy to junction with the flexible lines from the 2003

the 2006 uses 3/4" heater hoses, '03 uses 5/8" so i had to adapt that

i still need install the transmission/t-case but that's all straight forward. i'm going to adapt the '06 lines and filter to work with the 4r100 somehow. i am going to use the 6.0 trans cooler, intercooler and a/c condenser.

all in all, it's working out well. i couldn't see a body swap being any easier. the underhood portion of all of this is the easy part. dash and wiring is the part that sucks but using the 6.0 wiring is keeping me from having to completely disassemble the interior of the truck (I hate interior work)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For anyone that is following, the 4r100 is a couple inches longer than the 5r110 was so I am having the '06 driveshaft shortened. My 7.3 front driveshaft should work fine. The holes are already in the frame for the transmission crosmember to be moved back.

I was also informed that the '05-'07 fuel level sender works the opposite of the previous generation. I might have to switch that which isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5r110 is way too complicated to control. PCS made a controller for it for a while and then stopped because it was just wasn't working out.

Allison transmissions are way overrated. In the GM version they defuel to shift which gives the effect of being a strong transmission. If it was put behind a 7.3 without defuelling to shift, it would blow up pretty quick.

If you really want to gain another gear, gear vendors probably makes an add on overdrive unit for it. The 7.3 likes to cruise at about 1800 RPM. Anything lower than that isn't going to gain efficiency.

·
Registered
60 Posts
that doesnt mean you cant beef up the allison a little more to deal with that and personally i dont think the stock allison would have trouble holding up to a custom tuned 7.3 with stock injectors.

i also dont see why the 7.3 wouldnt be able to pull 1800 rpm with a slightly deeper OD.. my 7.3 is at 2000 rpm at like 68 mph, with an allison 1000 i feel like i could have it at 1800 at 70.

at least thats based on the R's my buddies 01 duramax is turning in od at 70-75 which is between 1800-2000

also his duramax has probably over 200k now on stock transmission cause it wasnt tuned until he bought it with 190k or somethin like that. he put efi live on it and is makin more power than a custom tuned 7.3 on the highest tune that doesnt slip the transmission and its been runnin strong for a while with no problems. he never pushed the tune that would slip the trans after the first time it happened and it didnt really slip it just acted funky so he never went back to it but it was also a very strong tune.

but it definitely defuels when it shifts and honestly i dont like the way it feels

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The duramax makes a lot more power than the 7.3. It still defuels to shift and from what I hear it won't last without that tuning no matter what you do to the allison.

If lowers RPM's is what you're after, a built 4r100 with gear vendor unit would be the toughest setup out there and wouldn't require any custom adaptation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know it's the wrong thread. But I'm gonna continue this Allison thing 1 more post. My brother in law runs a 06 lbz. We scrap all the time about who's got the better truck. But think on this. The trans upgrades we did on his trans included a converter, 4 clutch kits and a shift kit. No billit parts, no 1000$ shafts. His last dyno run was 720hp, 1180 ft lb torque. He runs 11 flat in the quarter. This trans has 30k miles on it since the build. Proper tuning is the life of that Allison. But tuning is the life of all new diesel transmissions. 5r, 6r, 68rfe, and Allison.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It runs and drives! I took it out on a shaker run last night. Injectors, hydra, billet wheel, 4" exhaust are awesome! Nice and quiet to drive in the '06 cab too. Well worth the time in the end.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
awesome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts