Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 7.3 and trans be a direct drop-in into an 06 f-350? It would be coming out of my 97 so I have all the computers and little things I need. Or is there alot more to it than I think?

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This past summer it started getting a miss, especially when cold. So I figured it was just stiction because it cleared up once the engine was warm. Over time it started getting alot of blue/white smoke out of the exhaust even after the engine was completely warm. So I checked for codes and it said cylinder #5 contribution/inbalance. So I unplugged that injector and the smoke went away. I replaced that injector and it's still doing it, once again unplugged that injector and the smoke went away. So what I'm thinking is maybe the last injector stuck open and took out the piston. Whatever it is it's not igniting the fuel in that cylinder

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Its not really that bad to replace the piston. Even a whole set, really. It will be cheaper and easier to just pull the engine drop the pan unbolt the rods and take the pistons out.

Not trying to talk you out of the 7.3 swap, but just keep in mind time as it will take much more work to get the 7.3 to run in the 06. I'm not sure if its a direct bolt in as far as crossmembers and such, you'll need to swap PCMs and all other powertrain computers over. Probably radiators, coolers, etc also. Good luck with what ever you choose. If it was my truck, i'd fix the 6.0.

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get me wrong I love the 6.0, I just get really impatient when I start throwing money at things and it still doesn't get fixed. Would ceramix coated pistons help protect against a stuck injector if it were to happen again?

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been reading that swapping a 12v into a 6.0 equipped truck is the easiest swap yet and it basically uses everything that the 6.0 uses (radiator, intercooler, fan, etc..). I'd have to find an engine, an adapter plate, pcs controller, lower radiator hose kit from Destroked, mounts, I'd assume a go pedal out of a 5.4 with a throttle cable, anything I'm missing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts