Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 idi wont start

7K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  1970something 
#1 ·
So I bought this truck a few weeks ago as a project truck, its had trouble starting and glow plug controller clicks non stop. Return lines were leaking so I replaced those and it started right up. Drove it about an hour the other day and fuel filter light came on. Parked the truck and tried starting the next day and wouldn't start. Replaced fuel filter, old one was dirtiest ive ever seen. Cant believe it actually ran tbh. New filter and bypassed glow plug controller. Tested glow plugs with test light hooked to positive. Still no start. Supply line from tank to lift pump is cracked on the outside but doesn't look like its all the way through however the line looks like its been put under vacuum. I did fill the fuel filter up before I put it on. Still won't start. Every time I crank I can purge more air out of the Schrader valve but no fuel. Cracked lines on injectors but not getting fuel out of them(didnt crank very long). Anyway still won't start. Any thoughts or advice are much appreciated!

#3 ·
sounds like you have an air leak between the filter and the tank.
what i would do is remove the fuel inlet line from the lift pump, and run a hose from a boat tank or small container to the lift pump. fill the filter and see if it firs up.
if it fires and runs good, you know the problem is between the lift pump and tank.
next move back to the inlet of the tank selector switch.
again, if it runs good, problem is between selector switch and tank.
it is a simple matter of keep on moving back until it does not run to determine where the problem is.
you may just have a cracked pickup tube in the tank sucking air.
these old trucks are known to have the in tank pickup tube crack between 1/4 and 1/2 hank mark and start sucking air.

#5 ·
Ok so I have plenty of fuel coming from the lift pump and out of the filter housing. FSS is functioning but im not getting fuel to the injectors. Return line on top of IP is warm and top of IP is warm. Definitely had water in the fuel at some point. Truck ran great before changing fuel filter. Not sure what to do next.

#6 ·
Sounds like the IP is air locked. -tjc please correct me if I'm wrong or if there is an easier method- I would loosen the nuts that hold the fuel lines to the tops of the injectors, then crank over the engine a few time until you get fuel coming out. Once you have re-primed the IP tighten the lines down and see if the truck will start. The other possibility is that the solenoid that operates the fuel cutoff has failed and is not allowing fuel into the IP.

Cj

#7 ·
I pulled the top off the IP and verified that the solenoid was actuation. I did crack all the lines and I did have fuel at one injector at one point but nothing now. I did hopscotch around opening and closing lines so maybe I just introduced more air. How long should it take to bleed all the air out? Thank you!

#8 ·
did you make sure to get the arm back in the rite position under the cover? if you did not, it will run away once it starts.
fill fuel filter with diesel, ATF, or fuel conditioner. crank engine for 15 seconds. pull filter off and refill. crack 2-3 injector lines at the injectors, and crank for another 15 seconds. refill filter. keep doing this until filter stays full, and you get fuel at the injectors. then tighten those nuts, and crack two three others loose. it should fire off after that.
once running tighten all injector nuts and go for a ride around the block. it will take a few minutes to get all the air out of the system.

#9 ·
did you make sure to get the arm back in the rite position under the cover? if you did not, it will run away once it starts.
fill fuel filter with diesel, ATF, or fuel conditioner. crank engine for 15 seconds. pull filter off and refill. crack 2-3 injector lines at the injectors, and crank for another 15 seconds. refill filter. keep doing this until filter stays full, and you get fuel at the injectors. then tighten those nuts, and crack two three others loose. it should fire off after that.
once running tighten all injector nuts and go for a ride around the block. it will take a few minutes to get all the air out of the system.
I was unaware of arm placement, I just put the top back on so I will definitely check that before I crank it again. I will try this method today when I get off work. Thank you guys so much! Where should the arm be?

#11 ·
Update- i have the whole front of the truck apart becuase I got a new front clip so havent tried starting it but I found a video online showing how the metering valve could be stuck so once again I took the top off the IP and sure thing it was stuck pretty good. Got it wiggled free and now it cycles smoothly. Once I finish putting the front end together and batteries back in ill try to start it. Oh electric fuel pump now as well. Hopefully getting a bed for it this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.