Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
90 7.3 idi non-turbo 4x4
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to this site and diesels and in the process of getting a 1989 f250 4x4 ext cab long bed 7.3 idi non turbo and have have a few questions first the guy says it has a gear vender 6 speed overdrive system in it and i dont know what that is or what that does and second i work with a guy who is gonna give me a stock cummins turbo off of his truck and was wondering if there was a way to hook that to my truck or if i should just get a garrett and if its worth putting a turbo on an idi at all thanks for taking the time to answere my dumb questions

·
Registered
618 Posts
Gear Vendors is an aftermarket overdrive system that goes onto almost any transmission, as long as you have the right adapter for it. Sounds like your transmission is a C6 3 speed automatic, and the gearvendors gives it an overdrive. That's about the strongest automatic transmission with an overdrive you can get.

Second, it's possible to put a Holset on a 7.3, but not easy or quick. I think the only kit that would allow you to do it is a Banks kit, and you'd probably need a small 1/2" spacer on the turbo mount. Much easier to just get a full kit and install it. They can be found for anywhere from $500 to $1000 for used ones.

Turbo IDI's are about 20-ish more horsepower and 30-ish more ft-lbs of torque. Get used to driving it n/a, and then put the turbo on. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
618 Posts
thank you thats very helpful does the gear vendor help with fuel milage to?
Yes. It gives the C6 (non-overdrive transmission) an overdrive.

·
90 7.3 idi non-turbo 4x4
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have another question if rev it up and let on the throttle it will die it will start right back up but if i rev it up and feather it out it wont die it ile and runs great other wise and i dont think the fuel filter has been changed in awile

·
Registered
618 Posts
Fuel filter, return line kit, and fuel pump. Don't get a Carter; they're junk.

When you replace the fuel filter, fill it full of transmission fluid. Start the truck, let it run for about 10 seconds, shut it down and walk away from it for a day or so. Then come back and drive it a good long ways. Should help clean out your whole injection system.

With the return line kit, make sure you clean out the injector caps of all the casting burrs, and use some Vaseline on the o-rings. And don't forget to do the "olive" o-rings (the much thicker ones), where the fuel line meets the filter head, and the main feed line hits the filter head and the injection pump.

Fuel pump, just need to make sure the arm is on the bottom of the lobe. It's possible to mount it up on top, and then you won't make good enough pressure.

·
90 7.3 idi non-turbo 4x4
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thank u im going to try the fuel filter first i just bought the truck and it was sitting for awhile and the fuel filter is rusted and old lookin the air filter i changed and it came out black

·
Registered
618 Posts
If the fuel filter looked "rusted", was that on the inside or the outside? If it was red on the inside, you have algae growing in your fuel. Drain that nasty crap out and get some nice clean fuel in there. You'll probably go through 2-3 filters before you can finally run for more than 50 miles on one.

·
Administrator
8,626 Posts
stalling after doing a snap let-off the throttle from higher revs is also a sign of a failing injector pump.

·
90 7.3 idi non-turbo 4x4
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was rusty in and out and i put atf in the filter ran it ten seconds and shut it off now it wont start

·
90 7.3 idi non-turbo 4x4
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright i got some ether in it and she fired right lindstromjd ur a genius it runs great now with no stalling thank you very much u saved me about 500 dollars and alot of headache from my wife thank u very much

·
90 7.3 idi non-turbo 4x4
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have another question my battery light is always on and when im driving my batt gauge is pegged at 18 and every other day the batteries are dead just wondering if this could be my or somethin else

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am new to this site and diesels and in the process of getting a 1989 f250 4x4 ext cab long bed 7.3 idi non turbo and have have a few questions first the guy says it has a gear vender 6 speed overdrive system in it and i dont know what that is or what that does and second i work with a guy who is gonna give me a stock cummins turbo off of his truck and was wondering if there was a way to hook that to my truck or if i should just get a garrett and if its worth putting a turbo on an idi at all thanks for taking the time to answere my dumb questions
The 6 speed on the gear vender is an addition overdrive,for the turbo there's not much you can do ,but ATS would be the company to research . the compression ratio is very high with pre combustion chambers there's not a lot boost that the engine could handle. You would have to research the amount of boost the cummins puts out

·
Registered
618 Posts
i have another question my battery light is always on and when im driving my batt gauge is pegged at 18 and every other day the batteries are dead just wondering if this could be my or somethin else
Probably the regulator. I would assume the light is on because the truck isn't registering any charge from the alternator. Good time for a 3g upgrade... :)

·
90 7.3 idi non-turbo 4x4
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i know i have alot of questions and there probably dumb buti have another i want to put a 5 inch single stack on my truck and was just wonder if it would help or hurt in power

·
Registered
618 Posts
i know i have alot of questions and there probably dumb buti have another i want to put a 5 inch single stack on my truck and was just wonder if it would help or hurt in power
It would hurt my ability to talk to you, and it would hurt your cool points. I hate stacks. In all honesty, if you did put one on, you'd most likely get rid of it in a few months when you decided your ability to hear was important and you were sick of the headaches. These engines are so loud without a muffler that it's obnoxious.

·
90 7.3 idi non-turbo 4x4
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea idk about it i might just put a striaght pipe on but it doesnt have a muffler right now but it sounds like a gasser when i get on it and was wanting to try and take that out of if theres a way to any ideas and idk if its just the fact that the exaughst only goes as far back as my doors but i cant seem to get it to blow black smoke or any smoke for that matter any ideas r greatly apprieceated

·
Administrator
8,626 Posts
black smoke is unburnt fuel and a waste of money. and with diesel over $4 per gallon, you want the engine running as efficiently as possible, not dumping unburnt fuel out the tailpipe.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts