Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to program my hydra tuner for my 7.3 on a computer before hooking it up ??

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Okay thank you man just bought it and couldn't get at it to work appreciate it

Just a tip. You need to go to tools and then click on box/hex conversion. Put in your code for your computer and it will tell you what tunes to use.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You do not have to load tunes on it before hooking it up. If you install the USB adapter (which is the main advantage of the hydra in the first place), then you can load the tunes after it is installed. Truck will not start until the tunes are loaded however.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you put the Hydra in the "0" position it will default to the PCM program/tune.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
#1 position is stock default setting on mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah, but you don't have to do that. You don't need to put "stock" as a setting, because its built into 00, just like ns is no start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Correct. The hydra is a "17 position chip", however only 15 are programmable. The "0" position essentially turns the chip off and you are running off the pcm like the chip is not even installed. The "nS" position is the no start feature. When you switch to this mode the truck will stay in the last tune it was in as long as it is on. Once you turn it off, it will go into no start mode. To restart, turn key to on position and switch to a driving tune and then the truck should start like normal. People use this feature to its full advantage by hiding or removing the digital selector when leaving their truck for long distances or in bad areas.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thank you. The guy that installed and set mine up set it that way. I haven't hooked the computer to my hydra to try and change anything yet. Waiting to put in new injectors and get custom tunes.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This is the print out of my tune files from the guy who set mine up.

Who ever sent that is an idiot. WTH loads them like that. I bought a jelibuilt and in his ad, it says if you need tunes loaded, just let him know and he’ll load them. I asked for four tunes and what I got was what your showed lol.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So I really got one more spot for another tune left open?

I suggest you remove all of them and reupload the the tunes you need and CAN remember. I have only four

Stock
Tow
140. Always on the tow and 80 tunes.

Anything more than the above I’ll forget what’s there in a week.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had mine loaded like that when I had stock injectors. I kept the list in the center console. I drove around a little on all of them just to test them out. Usually ended up back on the 140 extreme. Best shifting and performance and mpg as long as not flooring it all the time (which was hard to do).

The tunes are really easy to upload and change using the laptop. Watch the videos on Thoroughbred Diesel's website. Once you do it once, you can change up tunes in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I keep a list of my tunes hanging down from my visor. Easy to see at a glance. I have tried them all out and seems my truck runs best on the 100 hp tune. Best milage seems to be on the 60hp tow tune don't know why that is but that's what I keep coming up with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts