Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can i push my hp on my truck without poppin a motor? I was wanting to do a qssb, stage 3 hy breeds singles, dp tunner, hpop, along with everything els for about 425 hp?? is it too much?? :ford:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also pull a rv with it and its a 02.

·
Registered
611 Posts
try posting this in the 7.3 performance forum. Email a mod to see if they will move it. As far as hp limit what year is the truck? 99-00 SD have factory forged rods and I feel can hold your 425hp very reliable even pulling the camper. Any 7.3 in the later yrs i would stay around 380-400hp. Some one will chime in and correct me if im wrong. Pulling a camper with it though i would deffinatly look into an upgraded intercooler, Exhaust, Good Intake.If you have an Auto you will need to get a good build done on it if you cant go with a bts ($$$$) i would try to put his VB in it. I would go with a 38r turbo (seems to be most reliable and makes good power), ITP Reg. return,tank mod, Fass fuel pump, I had hybrids from Rose wood Diesel in my old truck and they were great never had a issue with them, Jody @ dp has some good tranny tunes. but i here Innovative Diesel has some good ones. I would do Comp Valve springs, and Pushrods. This is all i can think of right now.
Chancey

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hey John! hows it going?

Just wanted to put my $.02 in, 99-00 you should be fine to about 500-550hp or more as long as you have GOOD tunes. Your 02.... not so much, you have PMR's so those rods are light but not too strong, i wouldnt push the 400 number or come close to it until you put a set of forged rods in there. and Personally i would stay away from DP, i blew up a truck cruising down the highway a few days after i got new tunes from from Jody and i had forged rods.
everything 73stroked99 said except Dp tunes. Stick with Gearhead, Beans, Swamps or a few others

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so whare or what kind of forged rods that are affordable should i get i have a 02 and i need 450 hp pluss. lol

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
You could always check your rods. I know there was a point in the engine production where they stopped using PMR's for a short time before using them again.

You may just luck out and find you have forged. Id give you a 0.01% chance.:D

I doubt you need a QSSB turbo. A 38r would be verry efficient with 238 hybrids. And if your going to tow with it a lot i'd run 80% nozzles. Plus if you get a 1.15 housing for the 38r it will be better for towing also.

FWIW, (not speaking from experience) i've heard the fass systems aren't that great. If i had to choose, run an AirDog system.

As far as tunes. Take your pick. There are plenty of sponsors that can burn you a chip. Problem is, if you go with DP, your stuck with DP. If you go with a TS chip, you can hop from tuner to tuner and find what you like best.

And for the transmission. If you can, BTS. If your more like me, have a trusted and reputable shop build you a nice tranny. I spent 2500 on my and have no problems at all. By no means am i pushing any power, but i believe it would hold if i did. If you cant drop 4,000+ for a trans. Id go with BTS's valve body and TC. They will credit it to a future build if you eventually decide you want a built trans.

·
Registered
666 Posts
how would you check? without pulling the motor?

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Wow this needs moved.

To check the rods there is an inspection hole on the block you can take out and look at the rods.

There is a thread around here somewhere on this subject. Edit: ^^^ He beat me to it.

Being and 02 in sure it has PMR's

I would go with a set of 238cc 80% nozzle Hybrids a 38r an Adrenaline HPOP studs, valve springs, fuel system and some GOOD tunes that will put ya around a safe 400hp

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whats a good affordable forged rod

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
beans has a few trucks running pmrs well above 400hp with no problems its all in the tuning... i'd stay away from fass also.... jonathan at beans does an awsome job with his tuning and with trannys as well....

:bowfast: beans

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
bigjake, what is the build date of your 02'? I have never heard of an 02' with forged rods. I figured it was never worth looking at mine.

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
if you have a virgin motor i wouldnt be scared of PMR rods at the power level you are looking at, The only thing is i would look at a diffrent tuner,

200hybrids with a 30% nozzel will put ya pretty square on the 400 mark, a little bigger nozzel might get ya to the 425 and wont require big oil, with a decent intercooler and guages this is a towable setup, but again i would look at a tuner that know cyl pressure, and can prove they know how to tune based on it

Travis

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
if you have a virgin motor i wouldnt be scared of PMR rods at the power level you are looking at, The only thing is i would look at a diffrent tuner,

200hybrids with a 30% nozzel will put ya pretty square on the 400 mark, a little bigger nozzel might get ya to the 425 and wont require big oil, with a decent intercooler and guages this is a towable setup, but again i would look at a tuner that know cyl pressure, and can prove they know how to tune based on it

Travis
Exactly like Dp tuner. :poke:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts