Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's what I'm afraid of.. Another question if I may. I did some horse trading and ended with this truck a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had it running long enough to see what all it does need, but I do know it has a good bit of blow bye when it is running and it runs like crap, either low compression or injectors it what it feels like. Now, I've found a really good deal on a '01 motor that is in a wrecked truck, minus the turbo. My truck title says '99 but the door tag says 2/98. I know there was some weird stuff going on at that time with the F250 but I'm not sure what. Do you guys think i'd be better off just swapping motors with the engine harness off of the '01? Will my turbo work? Will the PCM from the '01 work? I know, a little off subject from my original thread, I'm just weighing my options. Thanks

·
Black Stroker
1,187 Posts
Here is what I would do.
1. Take the valve cover off and look at all of your injectors to make sure oil is coming out of all of them.
2. Get a compression tester and test all of the cylinders compression. Only way to know about the rings for sure is to use the gauge. ( some people like to flip the cap over on the oil fill tube. I like numbers.)
3. Bye a used pcm off of another truck and replace yours.
4. If all else fails then that motor would work. Only down fall is if you want big power then you would need to change connecting rods. But most will never get to that power level. Swapping a engine out is a big project. Try the small things first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, finally got to mess with my truck again today. I replaced the LPOP, was told awhile back that's what made it lose oil prime, of course today i find out it's the HPOP that causes it. Either way, I pulled the L valve cover off, and no oil going thru any of the injectors. I pulled the IPR out and cleaned good, still no oil. I was told that if I had any bad orings on any of the injectors that the oil would go to my fuel filter housing, true? I have found a complete engine, minus the turbo, with a new HPOP and a new PCM, still in the FoMoCo box, at a steal. So my plan is to swap the HPOP, the IPR, the eng wiring harness (mine looks bad), and the PCM and try it. I really couldn't go wrong for the price, but I can't get it till next week. I assume I'll have to get the new PCM programmed? How can I do this if the truck is dead in the water where it sets? Thanks for all the input

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.