Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Noob
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As posted in my hello, I have recently acquired a 1999 F250 Super Duty 2wd with the 7.3. Over all the truck is pretty clean inside and out.

Right now the only issues are a coolant leak, thinking its from the upper rad hose connection on the block, possibly a bad gasket and a fuel leak from the front, seems to be coming from some where on the passenger side and dripping down the block, onto the cross member and lower rad hose. Being new to these I'm looking for ideas on where to start with the fuel leak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Best advice is to start the truck and look under the hood for your leak. Fuel lines have little rubber bushings that can leak, fuel bowl drain can leak, fuel rail plug at the end of the head can leak, etc...

·
Noob
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good places to look, I'm totally green with dealing with the Powerstrokes. I'll get a better look in the day light and hopefully warmer temps. At 300500+ Km, not surprised things have started to leak some.

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
Coolant leak can be from the weep hole on the water pump. Check water pump bearing/pulley for play.

Fuel leak could likely be the fuel bowl drain valve letting fuel seep past and out the drain tube just beside the pass side exhaust manifold. Visible from the wheelwell looking into the engine bay.

·
Noob
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those seem like the most logical places from the information I have been able to pull together. Will be having a look saturday provided the wind doesn't freeze my face off. I"m in SK too.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yeah, fuel leak sounds to me like it is the fuel bowl drain valve. Mine just did this at the beginning of the winter. Its a simple fix, order the fuel bowl o-ring kit from Diesel o-rings, its about 25 bucks for the good ones. This happens because the original o-rings are coated in Teflon, and the ULSD eats away at it creating a leak.

The kit is very good and includes great instructions.

·
Noob
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the source of the fuel leak, finally got the truck into a space where I could get under it. It was the fuel/water drain. Gave the handle a jiggle (funny how many issues can be fixed by doing that) and the leak has nearly stopped, still need to do o-rings on it but its not making near the mess any more.

As for the coolant leak, not a drop since the post.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
gotta love how these trucks heal themselves sometimes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts