Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
working on a 1995 E450 7.3 diesel.. engine has hole in #4 piston and a bunch of others have cracks in the pistons.. i have a 2000 7.3 0ut of a E450.. question is are the short blocks the same..looks like there is a soft plug where the fuel pump go into the block that can be removed..can i take the heads off the 95 and put on the 2000... any advice would be helpful thanks Greg...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
working on a 1995 E450 7.3 diesel... engine has a hole # 4 piston and a bunch of others have cracks in the pistons..I have a 2000 7.3 out of a E450... question is are the short blocks the same ... looks like there is a soft plug where the fuel pump mounts into the block that can be removed..can i take the heads off the 95 and put on the 2000 block..any advice would be helpful thanks Greg

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
You should be able to treat it like a short block, however even with the plug where the mechanical fuel pump is located at on the 2000 it might not have the cam lobe to run the pump. If it doesn't I would just convert over to a electric fuel pump.

There should be nothing wrong with running the 2000 heads except for the injectors could have to be changed or you would need to get some different programming to run them.

I would sit them side by side and take a hard look at what other differences there are as far as bolt on parts and then just swap them.

Reactions: yearsy

·
Registered
798 Posts
The thermostat housing may be different as well. Intake manifolds will likely be 3 inch OD verses the OBS 2.5 inch (and they may be a 10? bolt and not 8 bolt). The fuel rail setup is a bit different as well.

Cj

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info..comparing the 2 engines the intakes are different so can't use the new turbo off the 95 engine ... water pumps are different ... still not sure about cam lobe for fuel pump.. that's the next to check.. thanks again Greg

·
Registered
227 Posts
For the most part, they are identical. The biggest issue I see you having is the cam. The 2000 will not have the lobe for the mechanical fuel pump. The injectors will be different, but that is a non issue if swapping heads. I'd be concerned about your 95 injectors though, since that might be why your piston has a hole in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the most part, they are identical. The biggest issue I see you having is the cam. The 2000 will not have the lobe for the mechanical fuel pump. The injectors will be different, but that is a non issue if swapping heads. I'd be concerned about your 95 injectors though, since that might be why your piston has a hole in it.
finding out intakes are different also...injectors are new for 95 so good there...water pump different too...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another question has anybody had issues with milling head surface and the block deck ford manual states not to mill head but ok to mill block 0.010 in thanks again Greg

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
No need to pull to heads just swap the injectors and uvchs. You can just run the whole turbo and plenums. Easy upgrade. But change out the up pipes with the bellowed ones. Then swap the engine harness and the accessories and your good. You will have to swap to e fuel but to keep it cheap just keep the fuel system intact on the engine and add a frame mounted fuel pump.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
I merged your two threads together to avoid confusion

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
I believe the water pump is the same but the outlets are different. But at 20 years old. I would just change it to be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts