Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 has an aggressive lope when starting in cold weather if it hasn't been plugged in. It will stall at times as it does in the video, but will restart easily with the lope again. It eventually smooths out after a few minutes and won't do it again until another cold start. Does anyone know what causes this? Is it harming the engine?

·
Registered
616 Posts
The romps... What oil are you running? My F250 does the same with the 15W-40 conventional oil. Switching to 5W-40 T6 Rotella made them go away completely. I think a combination of a few bad glow plugs and worn injectors also contribute with mine.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
does it go away if you hit the throttle? if so it could be the MLPS

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine does this, running fresh 15w-40. If I mash the throttle to the floor, it idles around 1200RPM's, after about 15-30 seconds, I can ease off the pedal and it is good to go. But in the meantime, when it is bitter cold and you do not throttle it, it will just turn off. Any additional ideas fellows? Gas Gelling? Maybe it needs a new fuel filter as well?

·
Registered
616 Posts
5W-40 Synthetic and your cold start problems will go away.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
5W-40 Synthetic and your cold start problems will go away.
:whs:I has the romps when cold outside and switched to 5w-40 t6 rotella over 2 years ago and never had or have a romp again. Plus I get 123-125 more mpg per tankful and alot easier starting in the cold. Minw needs new injectors whitch are coming in the spring but its fine for now. Might want to put 8 new zd-11 glow plugs in from ford as it will help alot with cold starts also.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
mine does the romp too in cold weather. i think its due to most of my glow plugs not working. We will see for next year after I change them this summer.

Really Bobs 7.3, 125 more miles per tank? WOW that might almost be worth it

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
I couldnt believe it so I hand calculated it again on the exact same route under the same mph, conditions ect and came 2 mpg difference then did it a third (were always out there lol) and was within 1 mpg of the others. I went from my usual 300 to 310 per tankful then the light comes on to 415 to 425 to when the light comes on just to double check. Well worth it and when I switched over about 2 years ago the rest of that winter and last winter I had no more romps like the 3 years before the switch over. .

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Its only a $35 to $40 dollar difference in price at normal price (I get it by the gallon at tractor supply for $17 a gallon on special and just buy 10 to 20 gallons then I have it and when I send my oil anal in to blackstone at 6k miles they say its good for another 2-3k

·
Registered
853 Posts
my truck does the same thing romps and has no throttle response for a few seconds and then smoothes out

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
change the oil type and it will go away. or plug it in and make you engine hate you less. its 0 degrees here tonight and my block heater element just crapped out 2 nights ago. im glad i have fresh GPs and im running 5w-40. makes life better when the oil is 20 degrees.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thats impressive Bob. The problem here is that T6 is $27.99 a gallon here in CT, and $17.99 for the standard. But I have about another 1000 miles before my oil is due for a change, so we will see what I can find.

Also, correct me if Im wrong, but the numbers on oil indicate the viscosity. the first number is the viscosity cold, the second number is up to operating temp. This makes sense for why the 5w-40 will be better for cold starting, but once they are up to temp the resistance should be the same. (in theory).

decisions decisions...

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's worth the extra cost. Being synthetic, you can run it a little longer. If you live in a cold climate, its a no brainer with making cold starts so much easier. I wouldn't expect to see the mileage increase Bob did though. I know I didn't gain that much.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
change the oil type and it will go away. or plug it in and make you engine hate you less. its 0 degrees here tonight and my block heater element just crapped out 2 nights ago. im glad i have fresh GPs and im running 5w-40. makes life better when the oil is 20 degrees.
And i still had to then the key to start it twice then hold my foot on the throttle to build some heat quick. Fuggin cold.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
It's worth the extra cost. Being synthetic, you can run it a little longer. If you live in a cold climate, its a no brainer with making cold starts so much easier. I wouldn't expect to see the mileage increase Bob did though. I know I didn't gain that much.
Thats being very conservative I get that lol. Now if I push it up every hill at 10 to 15lbs of boost it drops but Im mostly quarter throttle and under and my boost gauge barely leaves 0psi on trips unless It kicks down on hills or pulling the camper. I also run 75 diesel/25 kero all year as kero runs hotter = better mpg and I never had a gelling fuel problem in over 6 years no matter how cold here. Sh*t I just went to the local station and filled up with 22 gal of yep you know and man the miledge is even better for almost a dollar cheaper a gallon lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts