Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
power n two strokes
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been looking to get a chip/tuner for my truck I just picked . I am reading allot of back and forth about chips vs tuners and this is not my question here today I happened to find an item on e-bay I have not heard anything about on any of these forums and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these guys.. are they reputable ... is it a decent chip ? any feed back is much appreciated guys thanks ..

Ford Powerstroke 7 3L Chip Tuner Programmer | eBay

·
Registered
853 Posts
do not I repeat do not go cheap when getting a chip for your truck there is a lot better stuff out there if I were you I would just save up some money and get any of the chips you have read about on this site ie: power hungry performance, beans diesel, tony wild man if its not name brand its not a good idea I would even say go with a tuner befor I would go with something as unknown as that. the bad thing about them as being an unknown is who knows how crappy the tunes are they could be alright or you could install it and instantly shuck your trans or kill the pcm, idm its a factor I wouldn't want to play with

·
power n two strokes
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very cool thank you . I have heard things about the chips that scare me away from them . for instance this one guy who runs a you tube channel called "powerstroke help " seems pretty legit, says they'll throw codes and leave you stranded more than not . I don't know if that's from crappy installs . I myself am pretty good mechanically so the install doesn't bother me at all . I like the edge evo2 because it comes with the gauges n all seems $ wise a good deal . I'm not looking for anything crazy just a lil pick me up and better mpg . picking up a diamond eye stainless 4" turbo back and have a spectre cold air unit on the way . hoping that boost my mpg a bit too . all in all love this truck though wouldn't trade it for anything . Thanks for the reply Rich ill keep clear of those then . Also have my eye on a diablo sport tuner going off soon for 150 (as of right now) we'll se how that goes. I figure at that price if I don't like it ill sell it to the next guy , but I will heath the advise of others and install pyro gauge before anything if I don't go with the evo2 .

·
Sitting in a tree
107 Posts
Go with a well known tuner such as Gearhead, NLTD, Tony Wildman, PHP, Swamps, DP. Most use a TS style chip, but other options are available. If you're looking to save money and still go with a good tuner check out Powerstruck. He's new, but I've heard nothing but good reviews about his tunes and customer service. He offers a penny pincher chip with only one tune. You can get more later if you want.

You and your truck will thank you for getting custom tunes.

Do some searching on the forums. You'll see these same names keep popping up with guys that are very happy with their tunes.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Looks like an ICP fooler. So that really can't be classified as a "chip".

We would be happy to set you up with a chip and tunes if you are interested. Check out all we have to offer HERE.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
yea the "powerstroke help" guy has been proved wrong multiple times before. ive never been left stranded due to a chip. my father always used to watch those videos and now i know why he was so against tuning a powerstroke. "powerstroke help" guy is dumb. unless the owner screws up terribly a chip is not going to leave you stranded. i haven't had a problem in the 6 months ive had my PHP hydra. there was a ts6 already on the truck when i bought it and noone ever told me about issues they had with it where it left them stranded. the worst that can happen other than having very bad tuning which blows the motor is that the chip falls out of the PCM and fries the PCM. again that would be the fault of the owner not the chip. new PCM and away you go.

that ebay ad has "scam" written all over it. do what everyone else above said and youll be good.

·
Registered
853 Posts
very cool thank you . I have heard things about the chips that scare me away from them . for instance this one guy who runs a you tube channel called "powerstroke help " seems pretty legit, says they'll throw codes and leave you stranded more than not . I don't know if that's from crappy installs . I myself am pretty good mechanically so the install doesn't bother me at all . I like the edge evo2 because it comes with the gauges n all seems $ wise a good deal . I'm not looking for anything crazy just a lil pick me up and better mpg . picking up a diamond eye stainless 4" turbo back and have a spectre cold air unit on the way . hoping that boost my mpg a bit too . all in all love this truck though wouldn't trade it for anything . Thanks for the reply Rich ill keep clear of those then . Also have my eye on a diablo sport tuner going off soon for 150 (as of right now) we'll se how that goes. I figure at that price if I don't like it ill sell it to the next guy , but I will heath the advise of others and install pyro gauge before anything if I don't go with the evo2 .
I would try to stay away from the tuners your trans will thank you in the end go with a custom burnt chip that will be custom burnt to your pcm code and the "powerstroke help" guy is a joke a lot of what he says is garbage. I have heard a few guys say the diablo tuner was pretty decent. and as for mpg you wont see much gain a chip is more for gaining power without your mpg suffering. and if you go with a chip or a tuner you want to install an egt gauge the tuner with the gauges wont show egts because there is no factory sensor for egt

·
power n two strokes
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha yea I figured dsberman94 that's why I figured I'd ask about experience with that product first . anytime someone talks about their gimmick donkey more than the product I would be skeptical . richyrich I know most tuners don't display egt's however the edge evolution 2 comes with a egt probe and displays boost egt and trans temp does all the other 1/4 mile stuff I may use but once . however I will take into consideration what you said about the trans issues as I have read this in the past . I thought that was an older issue with the tuners but I could be mistaken . Dp I have been reading about your products and I am leaning in that direction . I do have an out of the box question here as far as egt's go ... It seems that most egt sensors come with one probe which goes in the left manifold , however it would seem to me you would want to monitor the right side of your motor as well, would you not, or am I off on this ?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have Gearhead tunes now........about to start running Jonathan tunes from Dyno Proven - NEW NAME! . They run all sorts of free tunes or 50% off deals when you buy parts. You just pay for 6 Pos chip $250 or F8, 8 pos chip $280.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Yea dynoproven. I guess there goes the chances of dyno proven tuning for the hydra again. Haha

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
LOL....thinking alike dman.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Daily Stroker. I have had both a tuner and a PHP chip. The tuner made alright power but the shifting is so much better with the PHP chip it is a no brainer. Get a chip! Do it once and do it right.
Of course you should get a set of gauges also. Exhaust and intake also help keep the exhaust temps down. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
LOL....thinking alike dman.
Definitely. Didn't realize they officially changed the name but I guess it was gonna happen sooner or later. Too much confusion with the other no limit.

·
Registered
853 Posts

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
yea the "powerstroke help" guy has been proved wrong multiple times before. ive never been left stranded due to a chip. my father always used to watch those videos and now i know why he was so against tuning a powerstroke. "powerstroke help" guy is dumb. unless the owner screws up terribly a chip is not going to leave you stranded. i haven't had a problem in the 6 months ive had my PHP hydra. there was a ts6 already on the truck when i bought it and noone ever told me about issues they had with it where it left them stranded. the worst that can happen other than having very bad tuning which blows the motor is that the chip falls out of the PCM and fries the PCM. again that would be the fault of the owner not the chip. new PCM and away you go.

that ebay ad has "scam" written all over it. do what everyone else above said and youll be good.
What did ya do with the old ts6 as im stuck on where to get mine from new. Thinking nltd with custom tunes with the basic high idle and stock also. I wont get to injectors till july or august but want to order up a ts6 next month to run with my mods now. My total mods after august will only be 6637 intake,5in exhaust, WWII, t500 hpop, and stage one or two injectors. For now im just running the intake and exhaust and ofcoarse 5 more gauges next month.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
What did ya do with the old ts6 as im stuck on where to get mine from new. Thinking nltd with custom tunes with the basic high idle and stock also. I wont get to injectors till july or august but want to order up a ts6 next month to run with my mods now. My total mods after august will only be 6637 intake,5in exhaust, WWII, t500 hpop, and stage one or two injectors. For now im just running the intake and exhaust and ofcoarse 5 more gauges next month.
I traded mine to my buddy in exchange for trans reinstall which he them gave to his cousin for doing the EGR delete on his truck. Just pick up a hydra. So worth it just to save on shipping and current costs. I'll even help you set it up if u need it. Plus you'll have access to all their tuning for a stock truck. Then once you get your injectors get custom tunes from PHP or gearhead. He'll I'll even let you play around with mine for a while in my truck. I'm running the stock tunes still.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts