Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, I have posted this on other sights, but i figured i would try here also, I am looking to build up my 2003 7.3 diesel engine, I am looking for advice, and would like all the input i can get on this build, I will not be starting on this untill next year, but figured I would do all the resurch I could untill then,here is a list of things I am planing on doing, wold like to know what works and what dosen't so I dont make a lot af expensive mistakes, I know a lot of you have spent a lot of money on triall and error, I am sure I will to, but would just like some good advice and help.

LIST:
NEW INTERCOOLER
NEW INJECTORS
PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS
NEW VALVES
NEW VALVE SPRINGS
NEW PUSH RODS
BILLET RODS
PISTIONS
GIRDLE
DUAL HPOP
NEW CAM
FIRE RINGS
REG FUEL RETURN
WATTER/METH
SOME KIND OF CHIP
COMPOUND TURBO
HEADERS
I have about 25K to spend on this project

sorry for the long post

·
Drink til she's cute
4,873 Posts
This is simple...Call Dave at DI or Zane at WOP, Write a check for about 15,000 and enjoy.
Those 2 guys can really dial your rig in.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
OK, I HAVE POSTED THIS ON OTHER SIGHTS, BUT I FIGURED I WOULD TRY HERE ALSO, I AM LOOKING TO BUILD UP MY 2003 7.3 DIESEL ENGINE, I AM LOOKING FOR ADVICE, AND WOULD LIKE ALL THE INPUT I CAN GET ON THIS BUILD, I WILL NOT BE STARTING ON THIS UNTILL NEXT YEAR, BUT FIGURED I WOULD DO ALL THE RESURCH I COULD UNTILL THEN,HERE IS A LIST OF THINGS I AM PLANING ON DOING, WOLD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOSEN'T SO I DONT MAKE A LOT AF EXPENSIVE MISTAKES, I KNOW A LOT OF YOU HAVE SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON TRIALL AND ERROR, I AM SURE I WILL TO, BUT WOULD JUST LIKE SOME GOOD ADVICE AND HELP.

LIST:
NEW INTERCOOLER (Diesel Innovations)
NEW INJECTORS (B-codes, Diesel Innovations)
NEW VALVES (not needed)
NEW VALVE SPRINGS (Diesel Innovations)
NEW PUSH RODS (Diesel Innovations)
BILLET RODS (Diesel Innovations)
PISTIONS (coated Mahl, Diesel Innovations)
GIRDLE (WOP)
DUAL HPOP (Terminator)
NEW CAM (Diesel Innovations)
FIRE RINGS (not necessarily needed with a good set of headstuds, Diesel Innovations)
REG FUEL RETURN (you'll need a full hi/po fuel system, Diesel Innovations)
WATTER/METH (are you doing this to cool egt's or for power? If for power go with nitrous; if for egt's I'd keep the meth out of it, or at least very low. Blow_by could help you with that)
SOME KIND OF CHIP (Diesel Innovations)
COMPOUND TURBO

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST
I put what I have next to most of your items, but there are others to choose from. These have worked great for me though. What kind of power are you looking for and what do you plan on doing with the truck?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put what I have next to most of your items, but there are others to choose from. These have worked great for me though. What kind of power are you looking for and what do you plan on doing with the truck?
well, i just paid off my truck, so insted of buying a new one like i planed, i decided to build this one , insted of shelling out 50k on a new one. i don't have huge plans of racing or pulling, but would like to do some of it, i got hooked on pulling a couple of years ago after i took 3rd out of 27 trucks, and i am sure i could have done better, but i was nervious about breking my only transportation

·
Registered
620 Posts
IMHO, find out what works now but remain flexable as things are always changing in this field. You never know when Dennis (ITP Diesel) is going to release a killer part or David (DI) will release his super secret injectors to the general public.

So just keep putting the money away, get involved with the forums and go to several events.

·
A Ghost these days.
1,017 Posts
I have all that and then some.

LIST:
NEW INTERCOOLER Spearco
NEW INJECTORS Dynomite or Maddog
PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS Call BWD
NEW VALVES Not needed
NEW VALVE SPRINGS BWD sprint set
NEW PUSH RODS BWD push rods
BILLET RODS R&R rods from BWD
PISTIONS Mahle Decked and coated
GIRDLE Wide Open Performance
DUAL HPOP I have a BTS but Terminators seem to be cheaper and better.
NEW CAM Only re-grinds available
FIRE RINGS Oringed bolck and heads care of BWD and WOP
REG FUEL RETURN Custome BWD system being built
WATTER/METH Hypermax
SOME KIND OF CHIP Dp-Tuner
COMPOUND TURBO BWD Turbonetics twins
HEADERS N/A cremaic coat the stock manifolds and port them
Feel free to pm any of us and we'll give your our opinions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i thaught there were headers for the 7.3, i saw them they were around 1,000.00

·
Registered
7 Posts
so does 25k sound like it would cover most of the engine

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Please turn off your caps and quit shouting at us ;)

25k will get you a badass engine- DI, BDP, BWD, WOP will all be able to set you up with big power. I chose to go with alot of BDP parts....

·
Fat Kids Rule!
2,455 Posts
LIST:
NEW INTERCOOLER (Spearco from Black Widow)
NEW INJECTORS(B codes Diesel Innovations or BWD)
NEW VALVES( depends on miles of motor_
NEW VALVE SPRINGS(Crowers from BWD)
NEW PUSH ROD (factory I like to have that as a weak link instead of bending valves or hole in pistons)
BILLET RODS(Crower or RR rods RR rods found at BWD)
PISTIONS( Coated Mahles)
GIRDLE(WOP)
DUAL HPOP(Terminator)
NEW CAM( not sold on after market cams yet)
FIRE RINGS( any big player shop)
REG FUEL RETURN(Itp Diesel)
WATTER/METH(snow if you can get it to work had to use 3 large nozzles on my truck from there stage 3 kit to get it to start to quench)
SOME KIND OF CHIP(Tony Wildman or DP-Tuner)
COMPOUND TURBO(BWD)
HEADERS (DI or ported manifolds work)
I HAVE ABOUT 25 K TO SPEND ON THIS PROJECT

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST
I did the same as elmo!

Or you can drop your trucks off at Beans Diesel and get a common rail cummins conversion too!

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
SO DOES 25K SOUND LIKE IT WOULD COVER MOST OF THE ENGINE
For 25K you can get a complete engine, turbo to oil pan, from Diesel Innovations and I'm sure a few others. Would put you pretty easily in the over 700rwhp range with nitrous or a good set of compounds.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would like to build this engine myself, no offense to the dealers, my friend owns a engine shop and builds hi end gass race engines, so he is going to do all the machining, at a great price

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
Well then it should be a fair bit cheaper than $25K I would think. I knowDiesel Innovations, and I'm sure others, give discounts when you get all the parts from them, like a package deal.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
matt- you havent even built your motor yet!!!

i have to agree with elmo...20-25k with turbo, injectors, and all bells and whistles. BWD, WOP, DI , Beans will steer you riight, they all have high hp fully built motors on the road!! i stopped counting on mine..but it was definitely $$$$$$$.

·
A Ghost these days.
1,017 Posts
Thanks Mike. My engine is being torqued as we speak. The Head studs and girdle were delivered on Tuesday. The rest of the stuff has been done for a while. Will be out @ BWD to pick it up on the 6th or the 7th for the long ride home.

·
Registered
501 Posts
25K will get you a 700hp+ Cummins :swordfight: :poke::D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts