Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2002 f250 7.3 recently bought. Was told when I bought it that it needed a oil cooler seal kit so I replaced the seals and have been having cooling problems ever since. First the radiator started leaking so replaced the radiator and degasse bottle, then the water pump started leaking so replaced the water pump and hoses. Now when I drive the truck wants to spew coolant out of the reservoir cap after about 10 mins of operation. Kind of lost on what could be causing this problem some people have pointed me in the direction of a blown head gasket but there's not coolant in the oil so I'm not sure. Decently mechanically inclined, I built race bikes back before I joined the military and now I'm a proud 3531 marine? But this situation has me lost and could really use some help pointing me in the direction of diagnosing this problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A blown head gasket doesn't always mean water in the oil (chocolate milk), it can also just leak compression into the water, which drives the temperature and pressure up.

Open the radiator cap and see if there is an oily film on top, if not, have someone crank the truck while the cap is off and see if you see bubles, if none, you should be good on the head gasket, you can let it run a little and see but NOT TOO LONG as without pressure the cooling system doesn't work..........

Anyone else has any ideas?

Oh, and get rid of the Crank Case Ventilation into the intake pipe, keep those hot oily gases out of your intake system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have a 2002 f250 7.3 recently bought. Was told when I bought it that it needed a oil cooler seal kit so I replaced the seals and have been having cooling problems ever since. First the radiator started leaking so replaced the radiator and degasse bottle, then the water pump started leaking so replaced the water pump and hoses. Now when I drive the truck wants to spew coolant out of the reservoir cap after about 10 mins of operation. Kind of lost on what could be causing this problem some people have pointed me in the direction of a blown head gasket but there's not coolant in the oil so I'm not sure. Decently mechanically inclined, I built race bikes back before I joined the military and now I'm a proud 3531 marine? But this situation has me lost and could really use some help pointing me in the direction of diagnosing this problem.
Typically with blown head gaskets you see a lot of oil burnt and expelled through the exhaust. Which creates a large cloud of white smoke pertaining to the size of displacement. If you don't see any white smoke exiting your exhaust system you can rule out head gasket issues. As for your coolant problem, check if you have the right fluid. Check if your pump has failed, there's a whole bunch of bits and pieces for the cooling system you should check. I'd do that first before replacing anything.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
did you change the thermostat? these trucks generally do not like aftermarket thermostats and will overheat with them.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Do you have any diesel in the degas?

Have you put a new t stat in it? If so where did you get it?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
as stated above when you did the oil cooler and water pump make sure you use the correct coolant for your diesel, many of the conventional coolants will require an additive to make it compatible with your diesel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there oil in the coolant? Oil levels okay? I noticed you said no coolant in the oil, but what about the other way around. Does your coolant reservoir look like a nice milkshake?

When I changed my oil cooler orings and gasket I didn't use the right type of lube to grease them with. Ended up tearing an o-ring and shifting a gasket. When I fired the truck up it ran a little funny and was shooting oil/coolant mix all over the place. It was a nightmare, lol.

Also try checking your fuel bowl and really check that coolant reservoir or drain the radiator to see what you have floating in there. Do a visual and smell test. Let me know what you find out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question if someone can help me I have a 1997 Ford F3 50 power stroke recently I’ve had a problem with the temperature gage pegging out all the way on the hot side And then jumps back to normal and I have heat usually takes about 20 minutes And if I let my truck sit all day while at work call it would leak out of the Wii pole and the court system will have a lot of pressure on it I thought it was my thermostat so I put a AutoZone thermostat in it brand new and now It still did the same thing So now I went and bought a brand new water pump and put a water pump on it and put thermostat in it as well the AutoZone thermostat went to go take it down the road and the reservoir is still pressure rise and leaks coolant out the cap Everywhere And goes all the way to the hot side on my gauge and stays there I ran it back home because I was close to home and I let it cool down and took the thermostat out and finish filling reservoir up with coolant and I started it up and it’s still has pressure a lot of pressure and the reservoir when you go to loosen the cap and it has no thermostat in it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find out the problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you find out my pickup is doing it now lol

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Cooley,

Welcome to PSN! May I suggest you start a new thread with a detailed outline of your problem. As I'm replying - the heads on these engines are pretty stout. I doubt (for the moment) that you have blown head gaskets. You likely have injector cups that are leaking gases into the coolant.

Cj

·
Registered
Ford F250 SD 7.3L Powestroke
1 Posts
What did you find out my pickup is doing it now lol
Just had the same issue. Pulled off upper rad hose. Turned out that the thermostat i installed probably 1000 miles ago had stuck closed (was not oem). Went and got a 190* ford thermostat. Replaced it, test drove it and no more blowing water out of the tank. Worth a try for the $30 it takes to fix. Also would check sooner than later because water pump which is new was dry. But still works fine which is good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts