Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that a 94-97 has the alt and ac opposite of the setup on a 99-03. Could you take a bracket from a 94-97 and bolt it on a 99-03? Like say if I wanted to put two alternators on my 01 by pulling off the ac bracket and bolting on an alt bracket from a 94-97?

·
Project Shamu
2,408 Posts
It sounds plausible. I've never seen it done, but i know the blocks are the same 94-03, so the bracket should bolt up just the same. Belt length I could see being a little difficult getting down. And obviously wiring the 2nd alternator.

·
7,983 Posts
the second alternator on the dual alternator truck is under, not on top. so i don;t think it would work.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Why do you want two alts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have dual alts on my chevy 350. It used to be the work truck so I had one alt that ran the truck and another alt devoted to a separate battery. I set it up that way so I could run an inverter, lights, etc without affecting the trucks original system. I plan to do this with my 7.3 now

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wiring won’t be bad at all. I won’t mess with the system now. This alt will have a separate battery to charge and won’t be wired to the rest of the electrical system of the truck

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
The alts on the obs are a one wire alt. So like you said. Wiring is easy. The superduty bracket also houses the power steering pump. On the obs, doesn’t that bracket house the vacuum pump? It might be easier to make a mount to adapt the alt to the a/c bracket.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
I worked on a c4500 Duramax a couple weeks ago that had two alternators and 2 ac compressors. It was a big ass charter bus type thing, anyway, it had custom brackets and obviously a custom order belt too.

Maybe look at some pictures of buses or something with 7.3 in it and see how they did it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would the pumps absence matter? I thought about doing the add on alt with the bracket from ford and still haven’t ruled that out. I just figured I could get an alt bracket for less at a upull vs the auxiliary bracket from ford. I didn’t think finding a belt would be terribly hard but I may be wrong

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The buses have the alt on the correct side but the bracket looks like the alt will stick out to far. I thought about making a bracket the worst part will be insuring the belt runs straight. That’s where I figured the 94-97 bracket would be worth it IF it bolted on in place

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
So I thought you where putting a superduty bracket on an obs. Not the other way around. It should bolt right up. The vacuum pump is on the drivers side.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Might check into what is different with the ambulance package. I think they had 2 alternators on them from the factory, and had a different bracket and belt....

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Might check into what is different with the ambulance package. I think they had 2 alternators on them from the factory, and had a different bracket and belt....
It wasn't just on the Ambulance package. Dual alternators were available as a stand alone option. My F-250 has factory dual alternators.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yep, maybe finding an old ambulance chassis in a scrapyard would yield the parts to easily add the 2nd alternator, might even get the alternator, too.......

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Or buy the one from powerlifter.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts