Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i got a 99 7.3 the latter model one, its bone stock, 174000 miles or so. ive done no performance work on the motor. ive had problems with the truck for a while now even posted on here a while back only got 1 reply. but. I was driving the truck about 3 weeks ago when the fuel pump got really loud and it acted like it was running out of fuel? no big deal tow the truck home new fuel pump ready to go. first day truck runs better then it has in over a year. 2nd day fire the truck up runs bad. get about 5 miles starts acting like a bad fuel pump again, fuel pump gets loud, motor is like knocking, no power truck dies. i crawl underneth the truck pull the line off the back of the fuel pump put it back on truck runs great for about 10 miles then it happens again. i manage to get the truck home. call some people they say "dirty fuel system" so i clean the fuel system thinking this will be a easy fix? wrong still got the same problem? can any of yall tell me what else could be wrong? thanks steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and another thing not that important but. will a manual transmission out of a 94 460 fit in my late model 99 7.3 auto trans truck? and will the font springs and front axel fit in? i got a 2 wheel drive ATM and i was told i could have the 94 with a brand new transmission and its also 4x4 which would be nice. i haven't even looked to see if they both got the same style springs or not. thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
check the sending unit in the tank the filters in it are plugged.. check fuel pressure at fuel bowl to be sure....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Oh and another thing not that important but. will a manual transmission out of a 94 460 fit in my late model 99 7.3 auto trans truck? and will the font springs and front axel fit in? i got a 2 wheel drive ATM and i was told i could have the 94 with a brand new transmission and its also 4x4 which would be nice. i haven't even looked to see if they both got the same style springs or not. thanks
they are not IIRC it's a independent front suspension i'm sure you could make it work but not worth it imho better off finding a wrecked superduty

·
Registered
745 Posts
The trans will not work.
I do not believe the springs and axel will work either due to a narrow frame. Not 100% sure thou.

When you said cleaned the fuel system, what did you do to clean it? Did you drop the tank and make sure the pick up is not cloged? Did you pull apart the plastic thing on the pickup with the screen in it?

I have baught bad brand new before.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel bowl on the engine. You need a fuel pressure gauge on a hose that will thread into the NPT fitting on the fuel bowl. If the pressure is horribly low, and the fuel pump is definitely working "properly", then chances are there is some kind of clog in the fuel tank at the pickup tube screen. If there is a clog there you need to drop the tank, pull the screen and either clean or replace it. Also throughly clean the tank if you can.

Here is some documentation I found on ITP Diesel's site explaining the fuel tank pickup tube and screen etc. Take a look at the pictures.

http://www.itpdiesel.com/other/FuelSys/ITP-TankKit-Manual.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the trans info, and the suspension info. i was just hoping for a quick easy free swap. if it takes more then that i'm not interested.

When i cleaned the fuel system. i droped the tank, dumped it out, unhooked the fuel lines from the fuel pump and the bowl. then used carb cleaner and air to clean them, the sending unit i did not use carb cleaner on. but i did blow air through it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel bowl on the engine. You need a fuel pressure gauge on a hose that will thread into the NPT fitting on the fuel bowl. If the pressure is horribly low, and the fuel pump is definitely working "properly", then chances are there is some kind of clog in the fuel tank at the pickup tube screen. If there is a clog there you need to drop the tank, pull the screen and either clean or replace it. Also throughly clean the tank if you can.

Here is some documentation I found on ITP Diesel's site explaining the fuel tank pickup tube and screen etc. Take a look at the pictures.

http://www.itpdiesel.com/other/FuelSys/ITP-TankKit-Manual.pdf

hey thanks for the info there and the link. ill check them pics out right now

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ok thanks for the trans info, and the suspension info. i was just hoping for a quick easy free swap. if it takes more then that i'm not interested.

When i cleaned the fuel system. i droped the tank, dumped it out, unhooked the fuel lines from the fuel pump and the bowl. then used carb cleaner and air to clean them, the sending unit i did not use carb cleaner on. but i did blow air through it.
theres filter in that sending unit in the tank were they clogged?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Might have a hose with a kink in it between the pump and the tank. Pay real close attention where it comes of the tank to the frame rail.

For in tank mods and pre pump mods, check out this link.

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you fixed this problem. Sounds like the same issue I'm having with my 2000 f-250 7.3. I've replaced all my lines and done the removal of the filters and screen in the tank and went to a straight 3/8's line. Still got the same problem. I've noticed the truck will idle forever and only run itself out of fuel when you get into the fuel peddle! Also I've replaced the sending unit with no change as well..... Wondering if anyway the sending unit may not be pumping enough to keep up with the injectors somehow to where they bleed the lines dry???? Is there something that controls the sending unit power to where maybe it's not running enough to keep up with the injectors??? Cause also noticed my fuel bowl lid will get vacuum sealed tight as can be to where when I open the drain fuel sprays out with tons of pressure that use to never happen before!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also when idles in P. or N. if I rev it hard it'll miss at around 1500 rpm a good 3 misses and let out a puff of blue smoke! Tho if you ease in it it'll rev all the way up no smoke at all! And in Drive you can floor it whatever and seems to be fine. No drive down the road and the line will go dry it'll get a rough idle that'll try to pickup if you get off the fuel peddle tho if you stomp it harder it'll stall faster. Then of course it won't start back up until I open the bowl drain, screw off the lid, close the drain, then turn the key forward till fuel comes out the loose lid, turn key off tighten lid, then it'll fire right up without a problem and again run fine for a verying amount time. Sometimes it'll run 20 miles hard stomping on it or 20 miles being easy on it, sometimes 1 mile stomping on it, but noticing as long as I don't have to get into it more than 1/3 peddle or so it'll always run fine!
I few codes that it's thrown are P1670, P1211, P1209, P0475.
P0475 the exhaust pressure control valve is due to my plug being unplugged and was so for about 3 years! Which I've since plugged it back in after cleaning the valve and the code has since gone away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There has to be a restriction or low fuel pressure. On my obs there is also a screen in the fuel bowl that can get clogged up with rubber like line material. Its at the top of the fuel bowl on drivers side. I cant remember it the super duty has it. Is the fuel bowl running out of fuel? Or are the heads running out of fuel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts