Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 7.3 power stroke and I have a TS performance 6 position and had been running with it unplugged well I went to plug it in and it killed the truck as soon as I plugged it in and now I have no wait to start light and no start and fuses are good but when I wiggle the fuse for the fuel pump pcm etc a relay under hood clicks and the check engine light comes on and off if you pull fuse and put back in also no rpms while cranking did it fry the pcm? plz help

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome to PSN.
Did you plug the TS chip while the key was on or while the truck was running? If so you likely fried the PCM and you will need to send it out for repair. Check out https://www.dieseltechchatt.com/ . You may have also fried the TS chip. I'm not sure I'd be willing to use it again. As fro RPMs while cranking... the 99+ trucks did not show RPMs on the dash until after the engine is running.

Cj

Just as a side note... "I would recommend that you first invest in FORScan (forscan.org) and a suitable adapter. I have an OBDLink EX usb adapter (should you wish to use a computer to collect data), or take a look at either a BAFX or OBDLink unit. Both BAFX/OBDLink have a bluetooth/Wifi units (there are a few folks around here that recommend them) that will would work with a smart phone (Run of the mill box store scanners and even a great number of the higher end scanners can't touch these trucks as Ford used the "heavy duty diesel" protocol for communication). Once you are setup I would capture data.. At minimum I would save RPM (really this is CPS), ICP, IPR, MAP, EOT and IVS (at least I think that is the PID for the go petal). FORScan will allow you to save the data as a .csv file which you can import into excel. The information you get from the truck will help identify what your problem really is without just "throwing parts" at the truck."

If you can't talk to the PCM through the OBD port, the PCM is either not on or dead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it was runnin but I’ve always plugged it In while it was running but I guess to should not have been….it’s the pcm relay under hood that clicks when I wiggle the fuse under dash for pcm fuel pump etc is that just because it don’t have anyone to tell what to do ? Thank you

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Just to clairify... were you plugging and unplugging the rotary switch? Or the "chip" that plugs into the back of the PCM? As for the fuse... it sounds like you are activating the relay that turns the PCM on and off. I don't have an electrical diagram for the newer trucks but there is a fuse under the hood I believe that is upstream of that relay. If that fuse is fried the PCM won't get power, but you can still have power to operate the relay supplied by the fuse in the cab.

Cj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I was plugging it in cause I hadn’t hooked it back up after fixing a no start issue before this one….I checked every fuse but I will do it again…I think your right though I fried the pcm lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts