Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I want to thank everyone in advance for taking time to check out this thread and for offering any feedback. Thank you. I have an 08 F250 4x4 SRW Crew Cab, long bed. It’s a daily driver and still looks great! It currently has 275k miles and has been Very dependable and a great truck. I had a whistle sound upon acceleration and took it in to Ford Service. Ford said a broken bolt in driver side manifold...charged $650 to get it out...sound came back 3 weeks later. I had a bad feeling in my gut that Ford may have taken advantage of me on that repair. I am currently having the exhaust manifolds and up pipes replaced (cab off) and the carrier bearing replaced. New mechanic says no new bolts were found when he took the manifold off...so Ford ripped me off. This time (with the new mechanic) I know that 2 bolts broke off on the manifolds (one from each side). The mechanic said the first one was pretty easy to get out but the second was tough. I know a bit about my truck but apparently not enough to keep from getting ripped off. They are talking about charging me $6,047.00 for this repair and installing a new carrier bearing. Said that they had 28.5 labor hours in the manifolds and up pipes. Is this a reasonable amount of hours or a fair price? If so then I have no issues and I’ll accept it but it just sounds very high to me. I was expecting maybe $4,500 to $4750.00. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

·
Native Texan
9,112 Posts
Well i would not charge that much to do it at 120 dollars an hour you are talking less then 4 grand so i dont know what kinda hourly they got or parts mark up but sounds steep to me. And i do this shat for a living. Now knowing what i know about 6.4l and the pain they would be i would probably be looking at 35 hrs but we also dont charge 120 an hour.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KY 6.4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i would not charge that much to do it at 120 dollars an hour you are talking less then 4 grand so i dont know what kinda hourly they got or parts mark up but sounds steep to me. And i do this shat for a living. Now knowing what i know about 6.4l and the pain they would be i would probably be looking at 35 hrs but we also dont charge 120 an hour.

Thanks for the feedback, I truly appreciate it. I thought more folks would comment since 105 have viewed it. Hard to believe that as many people are on here that only one has any experience dealing with this at all. I’m trying to learn all I can. I truly love my old truck and want to keep her around if I can. Thanks again for sharing your experience with this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was quoted by ford and another deisel shop a min of $3000 to replace my oil cooler (underneath the turbos). So i tried it on my own and did it with the cab on. It wasnt easy and i had to pull the turbos off/on several times cuz i didnt know what i was doing. Now after doing this a few times on my truck I can do it in my sleep. Takes me about 2.5-3 hrs to have the turbos off the truck with the cab on. To take the turbos off u have to unbolt the up pipes and thats half of what u need to do for ur swap. So imo, yeah ur getting screwed by a shop. But thats how most shops stay in business, they charge an hourly rate off the “official” book time and its usually way more than u think it will cost when they tell its only $xxx an hour. If a job is quoted at 10 hrs but they get it done in 2 hrs....u get charged for 10 at the rate u were quoted. And some mechanics make really good money cuz they get good and fast or cuz they rig a job and cut corners and are fast. But if u dont know how to do the job then sometimes u have no choice. Thats my .02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was quoted by ford and another deisel shop a min of $3000 to replace my oil cooler (underneath the turbos). So i tried it on my own and did it with the cab on. It wasnt easy and i had to pull the turbos off/on several times cuz i didnt know what i was doing. Now after doing this a few times on my truck I can do it in my sleep. Takes me about 2.5-3 hrs to have the turbos off the truck with the cab on. To take the turbos off u have to unbolt the up pipes and thats half of what u need to do for ur swap. So imo, yeah ur getting screwed by a shop. But thats how most shops stay in business, they charge an hourly rate off the “official” book time and its usually way more than u think it will cost when they tell its only $xxx an hour. If a job is quoted at 10 hrs but they get it done in 2 hrs....u get charged for 10 at the rate u were quoted. And some mechanics make really good money cuz they get good and fast or cuz they rig a job and cut corners and are fast. But if u dont know how to do the job then sometimes u have no choice. Thats my .02
Thanks for the feedback. I need to learn more so possibly I could tackle something like this myself. Sounds super cool that you were able to do it on your own. How much experience do you have with Diesel engines or auto repair in general?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have always done my own auto repair, im 40 now but since i was 17 I started doing auto stuff. Sometimes i have had friends help too and i pick up on stuff here and there. This is my 2nd diesel and i have learned a ton from working on it. But i do also use youtube as there are A ton of vids on there.

With all that being said, this will be my last diesel. Next is a gasser for me. Not worth it having a diesel to worry about all the extra turbo/high pressure oil/fuel system nonsense for the little towing i do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya. Diesels are very expensive to maintain. I can’t really do a gasser since I tow a 16’ utility trailer Loaded with equipment 5 days per week. I am going to start tackling some of these repairs myself when I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts