Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, looking into the chip purchase....have a gauge pod, boost gauge, will do the pyrometer, and trans temp gauges...need advice about the custom tunes versus the "standard" tunes, are the custom tunes needed and should i spend the extra $$$$ for the custom?.....i use this truck for hunting almost 100% of the time, will be getting a small camping trailer (18-20ft)...but most will be highway use, some off road maybe 80/20% I like the idea of whisper or drive thru mode, as well as fuel miliage increase...don't need 100 or 140 hp..or to replace trans real soon.....any suggestions or advice would be great....want the no start feature....but other than that i am open ....thanks for any help......rsbhunter 02 F250 ...Zoodad mod, 6637 air mod....AIH removed...:blah:

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Some quiet reading for you to research chips and what will work best FOR YOU and YOUR GOALS.

As for tuners versus chips Tunes you can not switch tunes on the fly you also will be limited to generic tunes or only one maybe two custom tuners and then you will be very limited in your choice again. In just about every way the chip is better choice. One thing that can be of confusion on here if you are somewhat new is the use of the term "tuner". On here we are almost never referring to the device called a "tuner" but the person that actually is writing the tunes themselves for the chips.

I would say, easily, 99%+ of members on here and most other dedicated 7.3 sites use a chip not a tuner.

One other thing to keep in mind: the maker of the popular chip used by many tuners to installed there tunes on is the "TS chip" )6 position chip). But that same manf also sell that chip with generic tunes directly to the public as well. So you will see comments about "TS style chips" from one of the custom tuners you are about to learn about with some reading. You want the ones from the custom tuners not the generic TS chip and tunes directly from TS or others. You will quickly understand the difference with some reading.

Of the various custom tuners out there these are the poplar ones with the best reps. Read the thread links below to learn more about them to help you make your choice:

Custom Tuners:

Swamps (Jonathan)

Gearhead Automotive (Matt)

Beans (Jonathan)

BTS (Cale)

Power Hungry Performance (Bill)

Diesel Innovations (David)

Total Diesel Performance(Tony TW)

Truck Source Diesel

DP Tuner(Jody)

Most every question you can have about chips the tuners who's tunes are run on them should be answered in the threads linked below. Including which is best, this tuner versus that, this chip versus that, etc... If not ask and I am sure you will get answers.

Superchips 1805 vs Custom Chip ? - Powerstroke Nation

Chip vs Programmer - Powerstroke Nation

programmer for an early 99 - Powerstroke Nation

Dp Tuner vs. TS performance - Powerstroke Nation

Custom tuning choices???? - Powerstroke Nation

Diffrent chips - Powerstroke Nation

New Beans Tunes! - Powerstroke Nation

ts 6 pos chip? - Powerstroke Nation

After all this... A Cracked Block. - Powerstroke Nation

Chips anyone? - Powerstroke Nation

best tuner/chip for 02 7.3? - Powerstroke Nation

chip AND programmer??? - Powerstroke Nation

Adrenaline w/ Dp tuner - Powerstroke Nation

Need some opinions - Powerstroke Nation

Another chip question... - Powerstroke Nation

Chips??????? - Powerstroke Nation

looking into getting a TS chip - Powerstroke Nation

What are your thoughts on Powerhungryperformance chips - Powerstroke Nation

Looking for a new chip - Powerstroke Nation

New Beans Tunes! - Powerstroke Nation

Ts, Dp, or Tw - Powerstroke Nation

Diffrent chips - Powerstroke Nation

Piston Star Patterns - continued - Discuss - Powerstroke Nation

Safest Tuner ?? - Powerstroke Nation

ts 6 pos chip? - Powerstroke Nation

looking for another progammer - Powerstroke Nation

STACKING TUNERS CAN YOU GUYS EXPLAIN - Powerstroke Nation

Recommendations on Tuners - Powerstroke Nation

Are flip-chips harmful to PCM's? - Powerstroke Nation

99.5 wanting to get a chip - Powerstroke Nation

PHP tuner and the fun times you can have with it! - Powerstroke Nation

Chips anyone? - Powerstroke Nation

High miles and new chip? - Powerstroke Nation

DpTuner - Powerstroke Nation

chip questions - Powerstroke Nation

TW tuning ? - Powerstroke Nation

more power? - Powerstroke Nation

Need more Powa! - Powerstroke Nation

TS CHIP TUNES - Powerstroke Nation

Empire tunes? - Powerstroke Nation

just got my new tuner have a question??? - Powerstroke Nation

bdp custom 7.3 tuning - Powerstroke Nation

chip installation - Powerstroke Nation

Tony Wildman Tunes - Powerstroke Nation

Best Tuner - Powerstroke Nation

TUNING - Powerstroke Nation

so its time for tunes - Powerstroke Nation

Ts, Dp, or Tw - Powerstroke Nation

Gearhead Automotive Performance Customers! - Powerstroke Nation

pricing out a chip and have some ?'s - Powerstroke Nation

Custom tuning choices???? - Powerstroke Nation

Safest Tuner ?? - Powerstroke Nation

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
:whs: nice job...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TARM.......already saw that list, and i appreciate you posting it , but i was just wondering if the members here thought that a "off the shelf" program would do what i need, or if there was much to gain by going to a "custom" tune, for additional $$$$. Thats why i tried to detail the use and conditions that the truck will normally see......There is alot of good reading and info in those posts...Thanks again....... rsbhunter

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
TARM.......already saw that list, and i appreciate you posting it , but i was just wondering if the members here thought that a "off the shelf" program would do what i need, or if there was much to gain by going to a "custom" tune, for additional $$$$. Thats why i tried to detail the use and conditions that the truck will normally see......There is alot of good reading and info in those posts...Thanks again....... rsbhunter
custom tunes will always be better then the "off the self tunes" that are already put on to a normal chip. In my opinon even if your truck is just for DD use I would still go with custom tunes.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I am using off the shelf tunes from a custom tuner. I did not get live tuned. I am using the tunes that Bill uses for a "stock" truck. I am very happy with them. I think you will be very happy with standard tunes from any of the reputable tuners that were mentioned. I strongly recommend getting a TS style 6 position chip. This will allow you to use a variety of tuners without having to get a different chip. You could just have the chip re-burned.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info....i am going to get a 6 pos style, seems the only way to go....i am checking with a couple of site sponsors, one even offers free(?) lifetime reburns....can't beat that with a stick!....thanks again.....rsbhunter

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Thanks for the info....i am going to get a 6 pos style, seems the only way to go....i am checking with a couple of site sponsors, one even offers free(?) lifetime reburns....can't beat that with a stick!....thanks again.....rsbhunter
I know Tony does, I believe gearhead, and BDP also do the free reburns.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Beans offers free updates if you need a tweak to a current tunes setup or they find a better way to tune your current setup or for minor changes but if you add injectors big oil etc they charge a small fee as it takes new tuning. Reason I post this is there was some confusion early on and Bean posted something to this effect to clear it up.

Matt @ gearhead offers life time tuning no matter what you update convert etc..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beans offers free updates if you need a tweak to a current tunes setup or they find a better way to tune your current setup or for minor changes but if you add injectors big oil etc they charge a small fee as it takes new tuning. Reason I post this is there was some confusion early on and Bean posted something to this effect to clear it up.

Matt @ gearhead offers life time tuning no matter what you update convert etc..
When I talked to them about reburning my chip 3 weeks ago I asked them about this. I asked if when I put stage 1's in if I had to pay for a reburn and was told no. I just got my chip in the mail today and would be a little disappointed if I had to pay for a reburn when I was told I didn't have to. Do you have a link to that thread?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
No that is correct it was if you did a major upgrade like going to stage 3. It had to do with having to write compeltely new tunes. Also if the parts came from them, then of course it was a no charge. Its in that big thread in their vendor forum. Give me a sec and I will find it for ya.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Here ya go.

Originally Posted by BDP Tuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP Tuner View Post
If you have a chip, the custom tunes are $275.00 and you get free reburns for life. If you want custon tunes now, I can set you up for stage 1's and when you get the stage 2's just send your chip back in and I will set it up for 2's for free. Most of the time I can get the chip back out the same day I get it in. As far as custom shifts or lock ups - no problem, just let me know what you want and I will make it happen. We use 100% nozzles on our stage 2's, if you want 80% nozzles that is also not a problem. Hope I answered your questions - if not fell free to post up, PM me or give me a call at the shop 1-615-563-7800.
I need to specify something about revisions on the bdp custom tuned chip. If you need a shift point or driveabilty change or something like that, it is free. If you go to a larger injector and they are bdp injectors, I offer free revisions up to stage 2's. If they are another company's injectors or it is a large custom injector, it requires more programming on my part so there will be a charge for that. Also with the free revisions you can update them any time we find a new way to make better power, economy or any other benefits.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
The problem with the box tunes is most of them are tranny killers. I am not talking about custom tunes like Clydesdale is talking about. Those are custom tunes that all of the tuners have that they can load when you tell them what you have on your truck.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts