Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kid will be looking for a truck in the near future i have had a 7.3 and now own a 6.7 but my kid doesn't have the money for a 6.7 and doesn't want to go to the old 7.3. My question is. the majority of the 6.4's out there run 10 thousand or more above the cost of the 6 litres, is it worrth this or can one find a reliable 6 litre? What modifications do i need to ensure a reletivly trouble free 6 litre? Thankx to all that reply.

·
Back in the 6.oh-no
127 Posts
Probably should add $3,000-$5,000 to the asking price if its not already studded because more than likely at some point it will have to be done, unless your lucky.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Iv had my 04 for 3 years now and the only problem it ever gave me is the ficm went bad. I love my 6.0. if you take care of them and dont beat the crap out of them all the time they should treat you pretty good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you look in the for sale section here I have seen some good deals. People selling them here you will know they have been taken care of.

·
diesel and nothing else
1,620 Posts
I can sell you mine for a real good price and will take care of the details with studs etc. going to MPD this week to get her real nice st up. If you wanne go for durability and good numbers then no doubt 6.4 is the first choice. PM me if you like to know more.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If you look in the for sale section here I have seen some good deals. People selling them here you will know they have been taken care of.
just because its for sale here doesnt mean jack. everything is for sale for a reason, if its done correctly prepare to pay accordingly. get anything you are interested in buying checked out by an uninterested third party. there are some nice trucks for sale here, just remember that its the internet. me personnally I will be buying a 6.4 next time I buy........

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I had the option for a 6.4 when i was looking, but opted for the six-oh. I just like em better.

How old is your boy? If he has a tendancy to beat on the truck a bit, i would buy a 6.4. They seem to be a little more realiable in stock for dd and abuse on the road. I have an almost completely stock 6.0, and its reliable as hell. I waited for the right one, and bought; then keep maintained.

Here in bakersfield, nobody has a reliable 6.0, so i like the thought of "built not bought", and having a 6.0 thats a super dependable tow rig. But its going to take a chunk of change to get there.

Biggest thing to consider is the dpf.

·
546 Posts
An just because they say its studed doesn't mean it is ask for proof. Even if it is studed doesn't mean you won't have problems. My truck has to have it's second set of head gaskets put in in the next week or so. Yes I used arp's and had everything checked. There is a thread where several trucks are blowing multiple head gaskets. But on the bright side there is a thread telling you what to look for when buying a 6.0 good info.

·
SuperStroker91
89 Posts
You want realiable don't say the old 7.3 the 7.3 is buy far the best the 6.4 next I quote some one else saying on here don't remember who but. Every turn of a key in your 6.0 is like pulling the trigger in Russian ruleoutte

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 03 6.0L and love it. I other two injectors going bad I have never ad any issues with it. I did a lot more then injectors though when the injectors went see my signature. If you are willing to either spend a little money and do the work yourself or spend a lot of money and have the truck done at a shop the 6.0L is a great engine IMO.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
doing the work myself is a non issue i did all my own work on my 7.3 including injectors, glow plugs,turbo etc..

·
Registered
40 Posts
whatever one that you get,be sure to get a oasis report and invest in a scangage or edge insight cs or cts to monitor the health of the engine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Then I would get a 6.0L for around 4,000 in parts from guys on PSN you can get everything you need plus between 300-500 to have the heads checked when you pulling depending on the machine shop or shops in your area.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
6.4 i had 2 6.0's and when i get a new truck it is going to be another 6.4 0r 7.3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts