Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a easy change? There is a good one in a junk yard near me and if I can get it for a good price I might change this while I am changing the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It aint too difficult. Just bolts in for the most part. The only advice I can give you is, when you install it, do not run the lines into the radiator. Just run them straight into the tranny cooler then to the tranny. Also, install your lines on to the tranny cooler before you drop it in!!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
I disagree. The best way to do it is keep the cooler in the radiator and the 6.0L cooler. The radiator cooler is a very effective cooler, there is no reason to bypass it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mark, how would you plumb it, radiator then 6.0 cooler, or 6.0 cooler then radiator?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I wouldn't get a junkyard one. No telling why it was there or what the life it led was. Was the trans destroyed and particles went thru the cooler?

If you are replacing it, there should be no issue. If yo are installing a new one, I would think that there is one line going to the radiator and one coming back to the trans. Take the one going back to the trans and hook it into the new cooler and take the other end and hook it to the line going to the trans

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, is the cooler located in front of the radiator and innercooler? I just looked under my hood for about 2 seconds and didnt see anything resembling a tranny cooler. Or is it inside the radiator?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
So, is the cooler located in front of the radiator and innercooler? I just looked under my hood for about 2 seconds and didnt see anything resembling a tranny cooler. Or is it inside the radiator?
It is between the radiator and the intercooler, IIRC

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Mark, how would you plumb it, radiator then 6.0 cooler, or 6.0 cooler then radiator?
The correct way is from the front of the trans to the radiator, then to the 6.0L cooler, then to the rear of the trans.

·
Registered
285 Posts
what about doing a v10 cooler? i have one, works great! fit right in the stock location!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
what about doing a v10 cooler? i have one, works great! fit right in the stock location!
But if you are going to replace a cooler, why not go for the gold and get the best one there is? I suppose if the V10 were free and someone was installing it and my trans was borderline hot, I might go for it but if I had to pay, my money would be on the 6.0

·
Registered
174 Posts
The line sizes are different so you will need to get a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and some line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts