Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I begin to look for a fuel leak?

There is a 6" diameter puddle of fuel under the transmission. Seems to be running off the back of engine across transfer case and dripping off of the transmission.

The first time I ever noticed it was yesterday when I left work. It was there in my driveway this morning.

I did notice that it took a little longer to start yesterday.

Where do I begin?

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
The yellow lever that is located on the back of the fuel bowl is a very common leak point. It is the fuel bowl drain valve. In this link look for the instruction to repair the drain valve. There is also instructions on rebuilding the fuel bowl.http://www.dieselorings.com/index.php?page=info&action=Resources(Instructions) Look over the diagrams and get familiar with the fuel bowl and the get a flash light and look over all the connections to the fuel bowl. Sometimes the lid can leak. Sometimes the fuel bowl can get a hairline crack. The website I posted has all the parts you will need to repair the leaks. Up in the valley of the motor you will probably see a puddle of diesel fuel gathering from the leak. In the back of the valley is a drain hole and that is where it is dripping on the transmission and then to the ground. You can flush the puddle out by parking on a slight incline and spraying a can of Brake Cleaner down in there. Flush it, find your leak, repair it, clean up the mess and check back to see if your leak is fixed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast response.

I will try to get to it after work tonight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's appears to be leaking around the drain housing. I ordered all the o-rings and plan on getting to it on Sunday.

The link was a huge help in determining what I needed. I'm going to do the entire rebuild.

Anything special I need to look out for while doing the rebuild (besides a cracked cap or housing)?

Thanks again.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Just pay close attention on how to put it back together and refer to the diagrams in the link for reference. If you are repairing the drain valve with the fuel bowl still on the engine be careful not to loose the O rings and have them fall out. A little dab of grease will help hold them in place while you reassemble the drain valve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts