Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ya see what i got to work with in my sig, i am thinkin 6" pro comp springs to replace my worn out 4" with and cut outs should clear 40's with no issues right? if anyone has a setup like this please post pics, i would love to see them. i have already seen tanks about 40 times so i know it will work.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Difference between yours and tanks, he has coil front, you have leaf spring. You MIGHT run into a rubbing issue on the spring, but that would depend mostly on the wheel setup (and possibly tire width). Otherwise i can see if fitting and looking pretty sweet. If you do it, make sure you post up pics. Should look awsome!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i am thinkin about the rubbin issues, but am lookin at runnin a 17x9 with 40x13.5's on 4.00 backspacing. after they're on we'll see. but i will definatley post up some pics

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I'm running 37's and 4" lift, I cant see why you could not...

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
ya i am thinkin about the rubbin issues, but am lookin at runnin a 17x9 with 40x13.5's on 4.00 backspacing. after they're on we'll see. but i will definatley post up some pics
I would look at trying to keep that backspace, and maybe run a 17x10. I had a 16x9 with 4.5 backspace and 38x13 that would rub spring like a mother before full turn. I just put on some 16x12 with the same backspace and now they dont even touch the spring at full lock/turn. Just something to maybe think about.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the heads up, the rims that i like and are in my price range are 17x9's, but i will keep lookin cause i def. don't need the wife tearin my 40's apart !:doh:

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
haha. No problem. Just do a little bit of research and see what will/wont work with sizes. If you are gettin the wheels from a shop (not private like craigslist or something) they should be able to help you out a little bit with figuring out the rubbing issues and what not also. Talk to Truck Toyz. They are very good with wheel/tire fitment stuff and sell some good wheels and tires.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Difference between yours and tanks, he has coil front, you have leaf spring. You MIGHT run into a rubbing issue on the spring, but that would depend mostly on the wheel setup (and possibly tire width). Otherwise i can see if fitting and looking pretty sweet. If you do it, make sure you post up pics. Should look awsome!
You will rub the radius arm just as easy as a leaf spring without the proper back-spacing. I ran 3.75" back spacing with 17x10's and 40" Goodyear MTR's. Looked sweet and never had any rubbing issues, but those tires are only 13.5" wide, so I wanted to push the tires out of the wheel well to give it an aggresive look. I would run 12" wide wheels on a tread width of 14" or more.

And btw, screw pro-comp. You would be better off with ICON's or Deaver Springs, ride better and won't sag.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would love to go with a set of deavers, but my pcoket books pretty tight right now, so i am kinda tryin to do this as budget friendly as possible. the only reason i am goin with 40's is because NTW has 40" x terrains for $300.
i am only buyin leaf packs and shocks and re-usin track bar brackets and brake lines and stuff like that

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is one area i am a little gray on, since i already have the drop brackets for the track bar, i should not need the adjustable unit right?

·
99 superduty on 22.5
147 Posts
well that all depends. if your track bar bracket is for a 4 inch lift and you up it to a 6 it will pull the axle to the left side of the truck. you can never go wrong with an adjustable one. then you dont have to worry if you decide to lift it more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i will add it to my list, somethin so obvious and my heads so overloaded i never thought of it, thanx guys!
so what 17x9-10 wheels do you guys think look good?

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
if your good at fabricating you can make your own adjustable track bar for close to nothing.took mine and cut it in half.Its solid so I drilled it out on one side with a drill press and tapped it with a 3/4 tab.Took a 2in bolt and welded it to the other side and used a 3/4 nut to jam it.Works great so far.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lets see, got a lathe, chop saw, welders, and a old trac bar, so i think we are good to go. i really like fabricatin so we'll try this route first

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
in MI i would be above the lift law and got a few @$$'s for cops around here, plus i got a little rust startin around my fenders so i am just gonna take it all out and not look back!

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
in MI i would be above the lift law and got a few @$$'s for cops around here, plus i got a little rust startin around my fenders so i am just gonna take it all out and not look back!
I've been thinking about the same thing.Cut outs to get rid of the rust and clear bigger tires.I was thinking about some wide 38's though for mine.Them cut outs are 4in wide I think so definently want a wide tire and possibly spacers to look good.Don't want it to look like a fat chick with skinny legs.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
This is my opinion :

With the cut outs:

Width: 14.50-15.50 wide tires. Thinner tires get swallowed up unless you use spacers to push them out 2".

Height: 0"-4" lift 37"-38" 4"-6": 38"-42"

With these width tires I would not run any wheels that are not at least 12"
Nothinng more than 4.5" of backspacing which is what you will likely find. 4" would be awesome but would likely take full custom.

I know people and even shops put these wide tires on narrower 10" rims but its,on the 15.50, outside all the tire makers rec minimum widths and at the min for a 14.5" tire. They will also tend to rub much more. One guy here had 38x14.5 on 20x10 and they rubbed the leafs bad. Moved to a 12" wide rim and had zero rub. Went to a 38.5x15.5 and only had a very light rub at full lock out and that was with, IIRC, only 2-3" lift with cutouts. Backspacing was 4.5" Others I have seen post on PSN with 14-14.5 on 12" wide have no rub on the leafs at all.

Personally if I could find a nice 20x12 rim with 4" backspacing I would go with that if it was not crazy $$$$. Not willing to spend $2K on wheels alone. The normal price I have found is on DC-2s done for $1100 [email protected]"BS

Plan on running some Kumho's or MT ATZ if I can still find a set of the latter when I am ready.

Again this is only my opinion base on what I have seen riding in and speaking to guys that have these setups.

One of the best, nice looking, fully function, truck setup's that is actually used like a truck and off-roaded hard is Tank's 250 truck. IMO, he has found the perfect balance where nothing stands out oddly from the whole package. Everything is proportionally balanced IMO. That is what I am after but in my Excursion which is not too far of given his bed cab.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts