Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to 6.9 idi but not new to diesel! Having cold start issues and lots of white smoke. Figured it needs new return line kit for that and maybe the bleed down. I put new sending units in both tanks new selector valve, new fuel lines and new low pressure pump. Just did gp and controller last month but it still has issues. It will start up on the initial cold start then die and I will have to crank the snot out of it to get it to fire back up. Definitely getting air somewhere but haven't been able to find that yet. Just looking for some pointers I'm about ready to bury this thing in the field or scrap yard. Thanks guys

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Side note the po brought it all the way from California 3 years ago and put a used motor in it. Blew the original one up on the move to michigan.

·
Administrator
8,625 Posts
the start and die is air intrusion.
if you have no fuel leaks at all, the easiest way to solve air intrusion is to put a facet duralift electric pump on and remove the mechanical lift pump.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonder we're the air is getting in at then.... I would rather not put an electric fuel pump on unless I have too.

·
Administrator
8,625 Posts
did you replace the return line from the last injector going back to the tank? that is what is bad on my 88.
the e-fuel solved the problem, and it runs better with it than it ever did with the lift pump.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Mine use to crack the injector lines in the fitting...with it running spray the fittings (usually on the head end) with brake cleaner. It will rev up if one is sucking a little air.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you replace the return line from the last injector going back to the tank? that is what is bad on my 88.
the e-fuel solved the problem, and it runs better with it than it ever did with the lift pump.
Yeah about that, seems that the po just ran that back to the fuel filter..... I didn't think it was right when I bought the truck but for $$ I couldn't pass it up. The return line from the tank runs up to the motor and is capped off.... I'm surprised it runs like this. I ended up puttin another lift pump on and now the problem seems to have gone away? Smokes still but a lot less and starts easier...

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you replace the check valve on the filter housing?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist anymore. It's been half ass rigged together with hydraulic fittings.... Not my doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts