Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont want to start a huge argument but i am in the process of buying a newer truck. I need help deciding which Powerstroke to buy. Take into consideration reliability, towing capability, MPGs, tuned power, daily driver comfort, and price. I some times do really heavy towing like 28k combined weight and need something to be able tow that kind of weight. On the other hand I would like to take it to the track on the weekend and run a 13 sec 1/4 mile. I know that the 6.7l cant run 13 sec yet but in time it could as the tuning comes around for it. Any suggestion will be considered.
Thanks

·
psn high miler
96 Posts
Was faced with same dilemma in June. Bought the 6.7 and haven't looked back. 14,500 trouble free miles in 3.5 months. Awesome truck.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
If you wanna hot rod the truck, buy the 6.4
If you wanna tow and be comfortable, buy the 6.7

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 6.4 and now have a 6.7.

As far as stock 100% go with the 6.7 tows better cooling system works way better while towing. Gets better mpg's empty and towing.
At least compared to my 6.4 which got 10-11 empty on a good day and 6 towing.

The 6.7 gets(stock) 17.7-18.5 empty @60-70mph and 11-13 towing 16,000ish lbs and does not feel like it is about to blow up while doing it. Tuned I have seen upwards of 22-23 mpg [email protected], towing is hard to tell.

Now tuned some have mixed feelings but, since tuning mine a while back I would still go with the 6.7. Spartans 200 tune is just way to much fun. If you are wanting good usable power the 6.7 and 6.4 both have good tunes for that. If you are looking for more of a race truck, head studs built tranny etc then the 6.4 right now has the icing on the cake.
I know there are twin turbo set ups coming fast for the 6.7 along with fuel pump upgrades to make them really shine.

All I can say is based on my experience with both I am sold on the 6.7.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I dont want to start a huge argument but i am in the process of buying a newer truck. I need help deciding which Powerstroke to buy. Take into consideration reliability, towing capability, MPGs, tuned power, daily driver comfort, and price. I some times do really heavy towing like 28k combined weight and need something to be able tow that kind of weight. On the other hand I would like to take it to the track on the weekend and run a 13 sec 1/4 mile. I know that the 6.7l cant run 13 sec yet but in time it could as the tuning comes around for it. Any suggestion will be considered.
Thanks
Pretty simple.
If you want to buy a new truck, then you obviously have one choice. If a 1/4 mile timeslip trumps a brand new truck, then buy the 6.4L.
A better powermaking engine for sure, but they are coming up on three years old, so buy it right...

·
Mmh what next
211 Posts
Pretty simple.
If you want to buy a new truck, then you obviously have one choice. If a 1/4 mile timeslip trumps a brand new truck, then buy the 6.4L.
A better powermaking engine for sure, but they are coming up on three years old, so buy it right...
stock form with tunes yes but after turbos and fuel I don't think the 6.4 will last very much longer

·
Registered
674 Posts
stock form with tunes yes but after turbos and fuel I don't think the 6.4 will last very much longer
And if it doesn't?
The 6.4L is plug and play at the highest level.

Either way, the 6.4L is history, so I am all for some aftermarket parts for the 6.7L to be highly successful.
I am hoping that next year the 6.7L is something that we can all recommend for performance and mileage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
And if it doesn't?
The 6.4L is plug and play at the highest level.

Either way, the 6.4L is history, so I am all for some aftermarket parts for the 6.7L to be highly successful.
I am hoping that next year the 6.7L is something that we can all recommend for performance and mileage.
George....Keep the faith brother....I really think positive things are just begining. If you cruise the Duramax site...you'll see they have "Issues" as well. Seems that this new generation of ECU's....especailly ones that are supposed to be locked.....are posing a bit of a challenge to the aftermarket world. All will be well in short order for sure :). These trucks are only going to get better as time goes on.

Wayne

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a 6.4L and my dad has a 6.7L. Stock for stock, there isn't a big comparison in my mind. The 6.7L is a fantastic package, smooth and powerful in every way and coupled with Ford quality in the build of the truck around it, I don't think that you can go wrong. If you have the money to buy the 6.7L go grab one and enjoy the benefits of having the most current motor Ford offers. Don't get me wrong I'm blown away with my 6.4L every day now that its deleted, and its very powerful and smooth, but I feel like the 6.7L is going to see a wave of aftermarket help here pretty soon.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I really liked my tuned 6.4. I love my stock 6.7. I am sure I will tune my new truck but i am not in such a hurry like I was on my 6.4.

·
Registered
674 Posts
George....Keep the faith brother....I really think positive things are just begining. If you cruise the Duramax site...you'll see they have "Issues" as well. Seems that this new generation of ECU's....especailly ones that are supposed to be locked.....are posing a bit of a challenge to the aftermarket world. All will be well in short order for sure :). These trucks are only going to get better as time goes on.

Wayne
I'm keeping the faith. I'm still a Ford guy. I am sure FMC will be knocking our socks off to the max when they release the new truck in 13'-14', and I'll be the first in line for it..

Emissions are a funny thing. Some of the best in the business can get tossed for a loop. The Tier III system took down the best name in class 8 engines to the point where they have left the market, Caterpillar. From the best ever, to being sold off to Navistar and rebadged as the fuel robbing, powerless MaxxForce.
The good ol' days are gone, but I don't have to give up my good ol' engine just yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm keeping the faith. I'm still a Ford guy. I am sure FMC will be knocking our socks off to the max when they release the new truck in 13'-14', and I'll be the first in line for it..

Emissions are a funny thing. Some of the best in the business can get tossed for a loop. The Tier III system took down the best name in class 8 engines to the point where they have left the market, Caterpillar. From the best ever, to being sold off to Navistar and rebadged as the fuel robbing, powerless MaxxForce.
The good ol' days are gone, but I don't have to give up my good ol' engine just yet.
I agree.....and I think there probably are some parallels here to what we all endured from 1972/3 until the 1990's. Those early emissions days were pretty bleak. So called performance gasoline V8's with 140 hp ( pick the flavor...Ford, Chev,Pontiac, Dodge)......Honda Civic Si's now with over 200 hp...and with a fraction of the displacement. I'm thinking / hoping that better technology will catch up and help diesel engines across the spectrum...just as we experienced with gasoline engines years ago.

Wayne

·
Registered
16 Posts

Wayne
You are correct....thats why i will keep my tuned 08 LMM

·
Registered
95 Posts

Is Ford coming out with a new design?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Rumored to be in 14'.
My guess would be a summer/fall 13' as a 14MY to keep pace with the all new 13' Silverado to be released this spring.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You are correct....thats why i will keep my tuned 08 LMM
If you are performance minded, how do you trade right now, unless you seriously need a truck? It's not the fault of the automakers, but they are forced to sell this product in order to meet emissions.
Again, look at the class 8 segment. Used truck prices on anything pre-2008 has gone through the roof. A 2001-2003 Cat C-15 6NZ core is worth it's weight in gold, and that's blown up..

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I completely agree with you about the Maxxforce engine....Way to many problems at the shop probably more than half come in under emission issues. Either DPF, EGR, or a catalyst issue..

·
Registered
674 Posts
The MaxxForce is the perfect example.
Buy a legendary engine platform from Caterpillar (C-15), and choke it to death by using EGR only technology to make 2011 Emission standards. I can't imagine the internal pressures on that engine now. It was horrendous when it was ACERT.
It suffers from the same problems the 6.4L did in stock form, lower available oxygen, and a ton of soot in the crankcase. For some reason, Navistar has decided against SCR technology to reduce overall EGR for that engine, and what they now have is a one time great engine platform reduced into a totally unworkable boat anchor within a few short years of use.

Is SCR the answer? Well it does eleviate some EGR which definitely leads to the overall health of the engine, but who knows how well the system will hold up after a few years of abuse from weather and general wear.

As you know Stroker. it's not a simple procedure to remove this equipment from the new Class 8 stuff. It'll take a visit to PDI and a several thousands of dollars just to start the process.
As long as you guys have the equipment available for our pick up trucks, take advantage while you can and delete..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts