Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Way Out West
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, we just had some dealer training up here in the Portland Oregon area on the new 2011 Super Duty. The truck is beautiful, and the new evolution of Powerstroke is quite a new take from previous years. What got me was the removal of the air-to-air cooler for the intake charge. The heat is now being exchanged with a water cooled element! Ford has designed 2 water pumps that flow 2 seperate cooling systems to achieve this. So now you get a second radiator. Also they have used a single sequential turbocharger that utilizes one output shaft to drive 2 different sized compressor wheels that have been inverted! Tired of the long turbo up-pipes that take some monkey wrenchin' to remove and install? Those are gone. Ford went with an inboard design on the exhaust manifold, in effect, shortening the up-pipes to inches in length! I took a couple pics as best I could...

Attachments

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
that looks like a real goat fukin right there, buts its makin so much POOOOWAAAAHHH!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I love the new turbo design, it's really neat. Glad to hear it's a2w intercooled, too!

·
Way Out West
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has been reassured that Ford worked closely with their service engineers at most of the design elements of the new 2011. THe EGR cooler is top mounted on the side above the heads. The turbocharger is top mounted and sitting forward. It looks like a mess in the engine bay, but it is a mess that can easily be worked on without taking the entire cab off, short of removing the block or internals. We will see!

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Also they have used a single sequential turbocharger that utilizes one output shaft to drive 2 different sized compressor wheels that have been inverted! Tired of the long turbo up-pipes that take some monkey wrenchin' to remove and install? Those are gone....
So are you saying it in effect has compound effects, all contained within one single turbo?

If so that would be incredibly sweet.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
So are you saying it in effect has compound effects, all contained within one single turbo?

If so that would be incredibly sweet.
YES! :ford:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unfortunately, no it doesn't. It's a single turbocharger, with the exhaust going through it ONCE, and the intake air going through it ONCE. The only difference between this turbo and a typical turbo is that the air goes into the front and the back of the compressor wheel. The advantage in doing this is less rotational inertia in the compressor wheel makes for less turbo lag. In other words, it has a smaller diameter so it's easier to spin.

Ford calling it a "single sequential" turbo is just marketing BS.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Oh, I haven't seen the air path routing yet but I assumed it went through one side of the compressor, then into the other side, then into the IC, then into the intake.

Oh well, it's still a neat design.

·
Registered
81 Posts
this engine has no exhaust manifolds if im correct the turbo sits in the valley of the motor and all exhaust is plumbed wright to the turbo and the intake ports are wright there well doesnt turbos glow red hot when the engine is held wide open throttle with all this heat can it be a melt down waiting to happen?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I SAW the intake side of the turbo it looks like the size of a golf ball . every year they cram more stuff in the engine bay wasnt nissan toyota doing this in the early 80 z

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Hey yall, we just had some dealer training up here in the Portland Oregon area on the new 2011 Super Duty. The truck is beautiful, and the new evolution of Powerstroke is quite a new take from previous years. What got me was the removal of the air-to-air cooler for the intake charge. The heat is now being exchanged with a water cooled element! Ford has designed 2 water pumps that flow 2 seperate cooling systems to achieve this. So now you get a second radiator. Also they have used a single sequential turbocharger that utilizes one output shaft to drive 2 different sized compressor wheels that have been inverted! Tired of the long turbo up-pipes that take some monkey wrenchin' to remove and install? Those are gone. Ford went with an inboard design on the exhaust manifold, in effect, shortening the up-pipes to inches in length! I took a couple pics as best I could...
so in laymans terms , left side zoodads LOL

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hmmmm....
I dunno how it could be compound with no central divider and identical sized compressor wheels.....
Now, if it had a central divider, two sized compressor wheels, had the inlet air go through the larger then out and immediately into the smaller, then into the intercooler and engine, I could see it. But unless those pictures are deceiving, I see no central divider, and the wheels look identical.
So unless I'm misunderstanding something.... It kind of looks like a single "parallel" turbo, not a single "sequential" turbo.
But you'd still get quick spool with a bunch-ton of airflow

EDIT-
Yeah, there's no way its compound. Look at it. Both of the wheels discharge into the exact same air path. To be compound, they would HAVE to be separate. Why? The only way it could COMPOUND is to have one wheel blow into the other. Not both wheels blow into the same path. It would have to have a divider wall between the 2 compressor wheels. Could it be done in one assembly? Yes, but not like this.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts