Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Right? I don't know why anybody would be scared to own a 6.7, They're awesomely fast and rock solid. Looks like Ford's idea to design they're own engine was a good one.

That's not to say I don't like the 6.4 cuz I do. I like it almost as much as the 6.7.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I would fight you tooth and nail on the 6.4 even being compared to the 6.7 on the reliability aspect.
Sure, it runs great, until you crack a piston. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Yeah, but when ya have a diesel common rail system, especially a piezo one, and up the fuel pressure way higher than it was designed to go, you're gonna break something. That's true of any engine. I've got pictures of graphs showing the difference between the desired and actual fuel pressure while tuned, and then after I removed it. Those pics will remove any questions about why these things break. It was on a dodge I think, any the difference is substantial. Those pictures are on this sight somewhere by the way.

The 6.7 is a better engine, no doubt about it. But the reputation of the 6.4 is not well deserved in my opinion. Change the fuel filters, drain the water and quit cramming aftermarket software at it, if you're worried about longevity that is. If not then cram away, I probably would too.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah. I have heard of a few well over 200k, all stock, no problems.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't know why anybody would be scared to own a 6.7, They're awesomely fast and rock solid. Looks like Ford's idea to design they're own engine was a good one.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't scared of my 6.7, maybe apprehensive would be a better word. Love that engine because it would tow a house and never look back but there was that little voice in my head about things that could go wrong. Paranoia is a terrible thing but it is what it is and with us towing less that precipitated my decision to go to gas. I traded an 05 Excursion with the 6.0l PSD and had 160K of trouble free miles. Guess I was one of the lucky ones. My Dad finally sold his '99 F-250 with the 7.3 and had 352000 miles on it trouble free. I know we'll never see the 7.3 again but I want that kind of reliability in my next diesel engine.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Dirt going into the intake ( which is bad ) will wear the turbine impeller , the bearing is sealed from the air and only the oil which is also filtered can wear on it.

There are two conditions that will cause the by-pass valve to open:

Engine Starts - When the engine is started and the oil is cold.
Cold oil does not flow through the filter element as freely as
when it is warm. This causes the pressure differential across
the filter element to increase and the by-pass valve to open.
The by-pass valve will close once the oil is warm and the
pressure differential across the filter element drops below the
by-pass valve pressure setting.

Plugged Filter – A filter will become plugged if the oil is
contaminated, or the filter is not serviced according to the
maintenance schedule. Once the filter becomes plugged, the
by-pass valve will remain open. This allows unfiltered oil to
lubricate the engine components, preventing engine damage
from oil starvation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So whats your point ? my claim was that they turned down my claim because of the air filter, I said the bearing is sealed so only dirty oil , etc would effect that... So they did not turn it down because of oil. My oil is clean , I am sending out the oil sample to prove it, but I will post my last oil sample and those test results where great, see attached. So I expect the same as the condition are the same ( like type of oil and miles on oil and use of truck )

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
well the new turbo is on and its the 2017 ford ( the one for 2017 year model ) And the amount of old parts I got back to switch over to the later model turbo was a lot more than I thought.. new intake and one of the exhaust manifolds changed out etc. truck drives about the same for having a little bit larger turbo on it, cant feel any thing different , it no longer has that whistle when you shut it down, or on a down hill engine / transmission braking . it does seem like it doesn't labor as much up hill with my 43ft 5th wheel. other than that doesn't feel like faster or quicker , etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
no everything seen the same other than the loud whistle is not very loud anymore , also keep in mind I am running stock tune , only delete mod on my tune for the EGR , DPF no added HP in my tune .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m looking for a 2017 6.7 powerstroke. I was wondering if there are stil problems the turbos or has the problem been fixed, If so what did they do? Thanks

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I’m looking for a 2017 6.7 powerstroke. I was wondering if there are stil problems the turbos or has the problem been fixed, If so what did they do? Thanks
Iirc, 15 was the turbo change. So your 17 should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts
Yeah the newer ones like to leak oil instead.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

41 - 53 of 53 Posts