Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you guys had trouble with either of your turbos on the 6.7? two that i know of went out in the last month or so. one was a 2012 with 50,000. the other was a 2010 with 180,000. not sure about the 12, but the 10 had veins from the smaller turbo bust off. is this a common problem? i know that the 2015 went to a different setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes very common problem on the 2011 and 2012's from what I know. I noticed they go bad from trucks that actually do tow frequently. I believe it has something to do with overspinning the turbo, and just the design of the turbo in general.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad, ones a 2011, not 10. i was thinking that neither of those ever get idled before shutdown. i always let my 7.3 idle for 90 seconds or so before i shut her down. not impressed with these new diesels. they go like hell, for a minute. if im spending 60plus thousand on a new truck, i better last more than 50thousand miles. the 2012 has 48,000 on it. my brothers 99 7.3 has 400,000plus on it. paid like 12grand for it 10 years ago.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Noticed a lot of 6.7 owners don't let their trucks idle, just shut down as soon as they park, must forget they own a diesel on account of they are quiet stock? lol

I let mine idle, usually over kill too, wait to shut down when my egts are well under 300

no issues...yet

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've probably changed. 20 11 models and maybe 2 12 models in the last year or so. Everyone that i can remember had the bearings go out. Just did an 11 model today with 90k miles. I think in my opinion it's all lack of maintenance. Could be design though, as I've done many 11 model long blocks and only one 12. Also I don't think gets have much to do with the failures as these turbos are cooled by the engine. Hopefully the 15 model will have a better life span.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What turbo maintenance can you do to prevent this?

·
GarySr
8 Posts
The older turbos 11-14 model years have ceramic bearings go to you tube there is a video where a guy takes entire engine apart. Thats really the only weak link I've heard of so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What turbo maintenance can you do to prevent this?
I think by maintenance he meant more frequent oil changes,use of full synthetic oil,and plenty of cool down time before shutdown..air filter maintenance is important too but if your passing that much debris you've already dusted your engine and it won't matter much by then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined the Nation. We run a 15 F-450 C&C with a 6.7 diesel with 190K. First turbo failure. As this is a expensive repair I will say we are pleased with the overall dependability. The temp sensor was recently replaced, after around 6000 miles the said sensor blew out of the mounting, through the plentum (plastic) and fragments of the plentum entered the intake and subsequently ruined the turbo. We installed a SCTX4 tuner with a custom tune, around 180K for towing as we pull a 53' car trailer. The tuner allowed the removal of the exhaust and deleted the egr. I must say the truck has performed beyond all we could hoped for, however the turbo failure is unfortunate. BTW we ordered the truck with a 430 rear gear and every mile has been with one driver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re:2015 6.7 turbo problems

I have a 2015 F250 6.7L that I bought new for $65k with only 28k original miles and the turbo just went out with no warns signs or ove factors. I change the oil as directed and follow ever maintenance step. This engines design with turbo's is powerful but has no true longevity if before factory warranty starts having these kind of problems. I was hoping too Keep this truck for 200k miles but this rate I won't be able to afford the repairs... "Ford Tough"- My Ass!!!! It feels like driving an aluminum can, materials are cheap an not built to last....

·
Registered
12 Posts
2012 F350 with 94K on it, tow my 43 ft 5th wheel about twice a year , change the oil every 5K . I do have a EGR and DPF delete but no added HP on tune, The tune is for Delete only functions. I never hot rod the truck. Anyway Truck was making a whining noise right after Christmas ( very lite ) drove it a 1000 miles to Colorado with a empty enclosed trailer ( 22 ft light trailer ) , right before I left to come home Dec 30th I notice it was louder but thought it was a belt slippage . on the way home it got noticeably louder. then I thought a idler pulley bear was going out. Took it to the ford dealer today and a hour later they called me and said turbo failure. other than the noise I could not tell, meaning no white smoke ,etc but it did seem like it had about 2 MPG less on the way out of town. but boost seemed normal . Dealer quoted me around 4k to fix.. I am waiting to see if 3rd party warranty is going to cover it . They are sending out someone to inspect the truck..... So I know the mods I have done only helped the truck , but I bet they wont see it that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well just got of the phone with the ford dealer and the 3rd party company Warrantech , they said they denied the claim on get this , a after market air filter... Said it was leaking dirt by into the turbo. I can tell you that's bull Sh** cause it is a name brand after market filter that it the air box just like the factory filter. Anyway they wont even email me a copy of the report or a copy of my contract.. I have to send a certified letter which I am going to file a appeal. I don't expect to go anywhere but it cant hurt at this point. I am also pulling it out of the ford dealer ( based on price ) and taking it to a diesl shop down the road that can do a upgrade to a 2015 turbo for ford can do a direct 2012 replacement

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Well just got of the phone with the ford dealer and the 3rd party company Warrantech , they said they denied the claim on get this , a after market air filter... Said it was leaking dirt by into the turbo. I can tell you that's bull Sh** cause it is a name brand after market filter that it the air box just like the factory filter. Anyway they wont even email me a copy of the report or a copy of my contract.. I have to send a certified letter which I am going to file a appeal. I don't expect to go anywhere but it cant hurt at this point. I am also pulling it out of the ford dealer ( based on price ) and taking it to a diesl shop down the road that can do a upgrade to a 2015 turbo for ford can do a direct 2012 replacement
Sue them

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Well, you'll never hear me defending aftermarket air filters. I loathe them and I agree, they should not be installed on anything you care about.

I was just saying it doesn't matter if you had an aftermarket or stock, they're going to find some reason to deny the big tickets. It's what they do. The biggest thing I've ever seen a third party cover was an oil pan. Funny thing about that is it wasn't even the oil pan that was leaking, it was the bed plate. The adjuster was either a liar or a retard, either way he was clearly wrong. It was clearly coming out of the bed plate, but what do I know. I know it didn't fix it, big surprise the truck was back two days later.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
While it looks clean, did you do a white rag test?
For sure not a surprise for them to deny a warranty claim. Even if you get around the air filter issue, they will hook up their computer and immediately see that you have tuned it. Which is a no nonsense warranty denial.
Go idea on swapping to the 15 turbo though.
While yes, people will whine and complain about aftermarket air filters, many are better than stock. Except the oiled filters such as k&n.
Now better than the stock powercore filters? Heck no. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
update I pulled my truck from the local ford shop, not for that reason but this shop tends to drag there feet and I gotta have my truck back ASAP , I took it ( towed it ) to a shop that deals only in Diesel trucks , they are going to go with the 2017 turbo, its a slight upgrade from the 2015 . No I did not do a white rag test, either way a little dust in the intake will not take out a turbo. I agree perfectly clean is best but I live in AZ and your not ever going keep 100% of the dirt out. all filters pass some dust. It was very clean as you can see from the pictures and I have had much worse on my 03 powerstroke with NO issues. I am also send off a oil sample ( as I do every few years anyway ) to see what I can tell from the oil , you would be surprised at what the oil sample test will show

1 - 20 of 53 Posts