Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CODE p0087 comes on and reduced power at wot after installing sands disaster prevention kit. I’ve replaced fuel pressure regulator., injection pressure sensor., fuel vacuum control valve replace both filters and checked filter on rail there is no metal shavings., and no metal shavings on top of cp4 pump with vcv removed I don’t think it’s a injector leaking issue because it dosent misfire or idle rough and there is no injector codes or smoke at all with throttle applied., my fuel rail pressure is around 4500 at idle the only thing I can think of is when I didn’t install that one smaller oring on the tip of sands bypass block initially I ran truck for 3 min and it threw a high fuel rail pressure code idk if I damaged something running without that o-ring for a few min Mabye the high pressures might of destroyed a valve in my cp4 high pressure fuel pump i or there was some debris in the lines of the kit sands gave me that entered into my fuel system. The only thing I can really rule out replacing right now is cp4 pump even though there is no sign of premature wear or a plugged line somewhere or screen somewhere I’m gonna take it to dealer if worst comes to worst for them probably to tell me what I already know I can’t afford there 1000’s of dollars in software to inspect all the electronics

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also i read somewhere you can test suction valve on cp4 pump with key on engine off and remove injector line and if fuel is shooting out of rail the cp4 suction valve is bad and you need to replace the hpfp and I did the key on procedure and fuel came gushing out like a waterfall out of fuel rail

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
087 is low fuel pressure code, not high pressure code.
check for blockage in fuel filters, and low pressure fuel pump pressure
I heard from ford tech p008a is a low pressure fuel side code and p0087 is high pressure side on fuel rail quote me if I’m wrong and my low side pressure was 91 with key power I would think it would throw a p008a and show low fuel pressure on dash if that was the case or pump would be noisy and not sound right if it was bad unless it only malfunctions at wot idk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard from ford tech p008a is a low pressure fuel side code and p0087 is high pressure side on fuel rail quote me if I’m wrong and my low side pressure was 91 with key power I would think it would throw a p008a and show low fuel pressure on dash if that was the case or pump would be noisy and not sound right if it was bad unless it only malfunctions at wot idk
Fuel filters are brand new

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
008a is for low pressure on low pressure side. 0087 is for low pressure on high side.

I’d take the system back off. They really don’t stop contamination in my experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
008a is for low pressure on low pressure side. 0087 is for low pressure on high side.

I’d take the system back off. They really don’t stop contamination in my experience.
Correct there has been actual real time test done on the sands diesel prevention kit I would rather reduce my chances of contaminating my fuel system spending 400 bucks then not having the dpk kit and have to spend 15k

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct there has been actual real time test done on the sands diesel prevention kit I would rather reduce my chances of contaminating my fuel system spending 400 bucks then not having the dpk kit and have to spend 15k
I took the system off and it did the same thing
considering how truck is running flawlessly tell even after it throws code and reduce power mode I’m thinking the something in the hpfp failed and it’s not the usual where they mechanically **** out and send metal shavings through the system because i don’t see anysign of metal contamination there was one Little Rock or shiny peice in frame rail bowl but I don’t that would be it according to what I see when these pumps go there is metal everywhere not just one little spec that or I have some clogged injectors but I would think it would throw a misfire code but some guy on here had similar symptoms as mine and the injectors were out of wack and clogged which is crazy too me how his truck was still running flawlessly with clogged injectors they must of just been clogged enough to only malfunction at high fuel pressures idk

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
Look at your injector balance rates. It’s possible you have an injector bypassing too much fuel.

What is actual vs the desired pressure when it sets the DTC?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be scary to much fuel means a piston could get toasted. I would tell you but I don’t have fords fancy ids software I used to work for ford not anymore now I have to face the wrath of the dealership anybody wanna lone out a ids to me lol I got cash for rental

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be scary to much fuel means a piston could get toasted. I would tell you but I don’t have fords fancy ids software I used to work for ford not anymore now I have to face the wrath of the dealership anybody wanna lone out a ids to me lol I got cash for rental
Just a thought thinking positive I wonder if truck needs a update or fuel trims reset idk if fuel trim resets are common on these after messing with fuel system my truck isn’t tuned or deleted or anything I wanted to keep it stock for reliability and I tryed to do something for preventive maintenance and I burn myself

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
No bypassing means it’s returning too much fuel not injecting too much. fuel trims may be a clue though.

Any snap on scanner or equivalent can program IQA codes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ll keep you posted I don’t think it’s a computer update issue it’s not acting like that do I just go buy a fancy scan tool and diag it myself And hope that my computer has enough functions or take it dealership where they have the latest to check everything these trucks are getting to the point where the software the dealerships use to program them and diag them the average mechanic can’t afford unless he in with a guy at ford

·
Registered
2015 F-250 Power Stroke King Ranch
7 Posts
I experienced the exact same issue after the installation of a spe disaster prevention kit. No metal shavings visible before or after kit install. Truck wouldn’t move. Crank no start. Had the Cp4.2, mrop, fuel injector lines, all fuel sensors, and all fuel filters replaced. P0087 still present. Truck ran but very poorly. Truck would get up to driving speeds just not like it should. Very underpowered. I bought a harbor freight scanner before I found out about forscan. After hours of searching and looking at data on the scanner I noticed my FRP_A, Frame rail Pressure actual would never go much above 7000psi no matter if at idle or at 3000rpm. My FRP_C, Frame rail pressure commanded would go from 5000psi - 20,000psi + based on how much pedal you give her. Installed a H&S Motorsport Billet Fuel Filter Adapter with Baldwin filter under the hood and had a fass 220gph titanium lift pump installed thinking my lift pump was going out. It didn’t sound great. P0087 still present. Ford Mechanic suggested we change out the fuel rail. New driver side Bosch fuel rail came with 2 new sensors, new injector lines and hardware. “Same sensors we already replaced”. No more codes present. Truck was still very underpowered. Ran and drove fine. Changed the tunes and now the Truck runs like a scalded dog on steroids with an awful case of hemorrhoids. I put the spe disaster prevention kit with exo filter back on and been rolling since. That was approximately 7500miles ago. I hope your fix is something simple. I can’t bring myself to add up all my receipts. I’m afraid my PowerStroke may make me have a stroke. 😂. Changing my fuel rail out with a new Bosch fuel rail with sensors cleared my P0087 Code. Sorry for such a length response. Best wishes. Shane.

·
Registered
2015 F-250 Power Stroke King Ranch
7 Posts
CODE p0087 comes on and reduced power at wot after installing sands disaster prevention kit. I’ve replaced fuel pressure regulator., injection pressure sensor., fuel vacuum control valve replace both filters and checked filter on rail there is no metal shavings., and no metal shavings on top of cp4 pump with vcv removed I don’t think it’s a injector leaking issue because it dosent misfire or idle rough and there is no injector codes or smoke at all with throttle applied., my fuel rail pressure is around 4500 at idle the only thing I can think of is when I didn’t install that one smaller oring on the tip of sands bypass block initially I ran truck for 3 min and it threw a high fuel rail pressure code idk if I damaged something running without that o-ring for a few min Mabye the high pressures might of destroyed a valve in my cp4 high pressure fuel pump i or there was some debris in the lines of the kit sands gave me that entered into my fuel system. The only thing I can really rule out replacing right now is cp4 pump even though there is no sign of premature wear or a plugged line somewhere or screen somewhere I’m gonna take it to dealer if worst comes to worst for them probably to tell me what I already know I can’t afford there 1000’s of dollars in software to inspect all the electronics
Handheld obd-II scanner or forscan will help you tremendously if you have access. Forscan is free but you’ll need a laptop and obd cable. They have a paid version. “Extended License” for $12. If you go that route I’d recommend getting a obd-II usb cable with HS/MS Can switch. You can access more modules. Check your frame rail pressure actual vs frame rail pressure commanded. Sensors and rail could be bad. Good luck. I really Hope it’s something simple and cheap to fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I experienced the exact same issue after the installation of a spe disaster prevention kit. No metal shavings visible before or after kit install. Truck wouldn’t move. Crank no start. Had the Cp4.2, mrop, fuel injector lines, all fuel sensors, and all fuel filters replaced. P0087 still present. Truck ran but very poorly. Truck would get up to driving speeds just not like it should. Very underpowered. I bought a harbor freight scanner before I found out about forscan. After hours of searching and looking at data on the scanner I noticed my FRP_A, Frame rail Pressure actual would never go much above 7000psi no matter if at idle or at 3000rpm. My FRP_C, Frame rail pressure commanded would go from 5000psi - 20,000psi + based on how much pedal you give her. Installed a H&S Motorsport Billet Fuel Filter Adapter with Baldwin filter under the hood and had a fass 220gph titanium lift pump installed thinking my lift pump was going out. It didn’t sound great. P0087 still present. Ford Mechanic suggested we change out the fuel rail. New driver side Bosch fuel rail came with 2 new sensors, new injector lines and hardware. “Same sensors we already replaced”. No more codes present. Truck was still very underpowered. Ran and drove fine. Changed the tunes and now the Truck runs like a scalded dog on steroids with an awful case of hemorrhoids. I put the spe disaster prevention kit with exo filter back on and been rolling since. That was approximately 7500miles ago. I hope your fix is something simple. I can’t bring myself to add up all my receipts. I’m afraid my PowerStroke may make me have a stroke. 😂. Changing my fuel rail out with a new Bosch fuel rail with sensors cleared my P0087 Code. Sorry for such a length response. Best wishes. Shane.
Thanks a lot Shane I just bought a fancy new autel 906bt scan tool inspected my cylinder power balance on full throttle no injectors out of wack with that then I used my scanner and increased fuel in every cylinder one at a time they all had fuel knocks that sounded the same so my guess is the correct amount of fuel is getting dumped into each cylinder or I would here a difference or change from other cylinders I think I got some gunk in my hpfp sticking the valves I’m gonna replace the hpfp tomorow fingers crossed yea this stroker is gonna give me a stroke if this dosent fix it I’m been working on diesels for almost a decade now and this one in particular has been a joyride lolol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m
Handheld obd-II scanner or forscan will help you tremendously if you have access. Forscan is free but you’ll need a laptop and obd cable. They have a paid version. “Extended License” for $12. If you go that route I’d recommend getting a obd-II usb cable with HS/MS Can switch. You can access more modules. Check your frame rail pressure actual vs frame rail pressure commanded. Sensors and rail could be bad. Good luck. I really Hope it’s something simple and cheap to fix.
Yea I got a scanner not too familiar with the injectors balance rate readings they all seemed everywhere tbh I just used power balance and and drove hard no cylinder is cutting out there and I increased fuel pressure in every cylinder to compare sounds and didn’t hear any differences there so I’m gonna go with my injectors are good it’s not misfiring no smoke no injector codes I think I got guck in hpfp

1 - 20 of 26 Posts