Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
new to the site and looking for an answer to a problem. I have a 6.7 and run my own biodiesel (BioPro190) 6700 gallons and counting. This is my 8th Superduty. I have run B100 in all of the 7.3's and my last 6.0 with a minor modification most of which had tuners or chips. I was so sure the new 6.7 would be able to handle Biodiesel with a tuner as my last vehicles did. I ran various amounts of biodiesel starting with B20 then slowly tried B40 and even B65 with no problems. Then, after about 15K miles I installed the H&S MiniMaxx Tuner, full race exhaust and a AEM intake. That's when the problem started. The truck ran GREAT but would randomly die when coming down to idle. I researched the problem and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. It fixed the problem..........for about a week. Then it started again. I called H&S they said it was the biodiesel. So I changed the regulator again and stopped using biodiesel. I bought this truck because I love Powerstrokes and was confident it would be the perfect biodiesel truck. It's turning into the worst and I have biodiesel running out of my ears. Any help ??????? Anybody running Biodiesel and a tuner???? Let me hear it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It sounds like something in the regulator cannot handle the biodiesel. I have NO experience with the 6.7 though. I would do a little research and see if I could somehow run a Fuellab regulator as a modification and bypass the factory one. Like I said though, I don't know if that is possible on the 6.7. I have been running a Fuellab on my 7.3 with no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you said that I was actually thinking of installing a fuel polisher system like the Airdog II. It has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that it comes with. Not sure if it would do the trick or not, assuming of course that I COULD bypass the stock regulator. Anybody have any experience with one of these? Thanks for the tip Knotwild.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not surprised that you was told biodiesel is the cause. Most people will say bio or SVO or anything but D2 is the cause. Did they explain why bio is the cause?

Not likely you will find anyone running bio in a 6.7. Did you post in the 6.7 section? Perhaps this is a problem with the 6.7 regardless of what fuel you are running.

·
Banned
493 Posts
You might find that adding petroleum distillates to biodiesel can cause contaminants to precipitate out of solution, so it is best to do your blending before the fuel tank, then allow a 24 hour period for the contaminants to precipitate out of solution, then filter down to 1-micron.

Here is a video of this subject:

Blending gasoline with biodiesel
Blending gasoline with biodiesel at 10% to cause contaminants to precipitate out, lower the gel point, improve performance, and reduce emissions.
http://youtu.be/0EorDrATSoc

·
Jack Ken
215 Posts
How much meth is left in the bio? Could that be the problem? Im hoping you can figure something out as I would love to run bio in a 6.7 if/when I get one.

·
Banned
493 Posts
How much meth is left in the bio? Could that be the problem? Im hoping you can figure something out as I would love to run bio in a 6.7 if/when I get one.
People who make biodiesel tend to do back flips to remove residual methoxide from their biodiesel. However, if they let the glycerine settle out for 24 hours, then removed it, then blended with gasoline at about 5%, then let that settle out any remaining methoxide, then they will find that there will be no residual methoxide or glycerine in their biodiesel, and their biodiesel would have a lower cloud point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well....... I feel like I have one of the better bio-diesel processors on the market (and at almost $ 9000 it should be) so residual methoxide shouldnt be an issue. Two reasons for that opinion. First 6700 gallons and counting with no problems on 5 different vehicles from a 1989 7.3 non turbo, to a 1997 7.3 powerstroke generation 1, two 2001 7.3 powerstroke generation 2, and finally a 2005 6.0 powerstroke. The only problem I had was on the 6.0 the water separator mounted on the inside frame would clog up anytime I was above B50 and it was below 50 degrees outside. Then I spent $ 100 on a heated fuel line and that was the last time I didn't run B100 summer or winter. I bought it new and sold it at 135 K miles.
Thanks for the blending info Jeffery. It was very interesting, but the regulator is down river from two filters and I'm not having problems with clogged filters. It actually runs great under max throttle (telling me it's not a fuel volume/ max pressure problem) it's when your driving through the grocery store parking lot and slow down to idle to pull into a parking spot and the engine drops right past it's idle stop and shuts off. Weird? I suppose minute contaminants could possible be getting by the filters and messing up the regulator, but why then if you take the programmer off does it run just fine on bio diesel?
I don't know, I'm leaning more towards a viscosity difference between bio diesel and No2 and perhaps it's just outside of the opperating parameters of the stock regulator when running under a program other than stock. If I could fine someone running a different tuner than the minimaxx with biodiesel, maybe it really is the tuner?

·
Banned
493 Posts
I don't know, I'm leaning more towards a viscosity difference between bio diesel and No2 and perhaps it's just outside of the opperating parameters of the stock regulator when running under a program other than stock. If I could fine someone running a different tuner than the minimaxx with biodiesel, maybe it really is the tuner?
Biodiesel tends to be twice as viscous as D2, and the closer the temperature gets to 32F the more viscous biodiesel gets. So, blending biodiesel with gasoline at about 5% will reduce the viscosity and lower the cloud point of the blend. However, blending any petroleum distillate with biodiesel can cause incompatible components in the biodiesel to precipitate out of solution, therefore, it is wise to blend petroleum distillates with biodiesel outside of the fuel tank, and allow for a 24 hour settling period for precipitates to settle out, then drain any precipitates, then filter the solution at 1-micron.

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
I don't run bio, but I appreciate your contribution here Mr. Brooks. Interesting to hear the benefit of your actual experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts