Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
New to the site and looking for an answer to a problem. I have a 6.7 and run my own biodiesel (BioPro190) 6700 gallons and counting. This is my 8th Superduty. I have run B100 in all of the 7.3's and my last 6.0 with a minor modification most of which had tuners or chips. I was so sure the new 6.7 would be able to handle Biodiesel with a tuner as my last vehicles did. I ran various amounts of biodiesel starting with B20 then slowly tried B40 and even B65 with no problems. Then, after about 15K miles I installed the H&S MiniMaxx Tuner, full race exhaust and a AEM intake. That's when the problem started. The truck ran GREAT but would randomly die when coming down to idle. I researched the problem and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. It fixed the problem..........for about a week. Then it started again. I called H&S they said it was the biodiesel. So I changed the regulator again and stopped using biodiesel. I bought this truck because I love Powerstrokes and was confident it would be the perfect biodiesel truck. It's turning into the worst and I have biodiesel running out of my ears. Any help ??????? Anybody running Biodiesel and any tuner???? Let me hear it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issues if I burn No2 by itself and no issues if I burn Biodiesel with stock tune, it's only when I combine the two. I love the tuner power but $1.08 a gallon is hard to ignore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ditch the minimax and try Spartan Diesiels set-up. I've ran both and had trouble (not the same as yours) with H&S tuners. H&S is not helpful at all, their customer service is really lacking. Spartan on the other hand has been very helpful when I've needed customer support. Expect long wait times with either one thoug when calling in. BTW, the performance of my truck with Spartan completely blows the H&S out of the water. THE only reason I gave H&S a try was because at the time Spartan didn't have their 6.7 stuff ready.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi guys,
New to the site and looking for an answer to a problem. I have a 6.7 and run my own biodiesel (BioPro190) 6700 gallons and counting. This is my 8th Superduty. I have run B100 in all of the 7.3's and my last 6.0 with a minor modification most of which had tuners or chips. I was so sure the new 6.7 would be able to handle Biodiesel with a tuner as my last vehicles did. I ran various amounts of biodiesel starting with B20 then slowly tried B40 and even B65 with no problems. Then, after about 15K miles I installed the H&S MiniMaxx Tuner, full race exhaust and a AEM intake. That's when the problem started. The truck ran GREAT but would randomly die when coming down to idle. I researched the problem and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. It fixed the problem..........for about a week. Then it started again. I called H&S they said it was the biodiesel. So I changed the regulator again and stopped using biodiesel. I bought this truck because I love Powerstrokes and was confident it would be the perfect biodiesel truck. It's turning into the worst and I have biodiesel running out of my ears. Any help ??????? Anybody running Biodiesel and any tuner???? Let me hear it.
What is the exact part you are replacing and where is it located?

The Bosch fuel systems used on the new trucks are highly sensitive to fuel content. Incorrect fuel composition can ruin multiple components in the fuel system.

Does the truck throw codes when it shuts down? Does the rail pressure just fall off? What other indicators can you tell us about the problem?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ditch the minimax and try Spartan Diesiels set-up. I've ran both and had trouble (not the same as yours) with H&S tuners. H&S is not helpful at all, their customer service is really lacking. Spartan on the other hand has been very helpful when I've needed customer support. Expect long wait times with either one thoug when calling in. BTW, the performance of my truck with Spartan completely blows the H&S out of the water. THE only reason I gave H&S a try was because at the time Spartan didn't have their 6.7 stuff ready.
Sorry you did not have a good experience with your H&S Product. We currently have 8 technicians on the phone full time just to help guys such as yourself, answering hundreds of calls daily. If you have called in, I would love to view your history. All calls are recorded, monitored, and linked into a database. With a name or a phone number, I can look into your personal history. PM me with some of your info.

Unfortunately with as computer controlled as these trucks are, some guys may have issues. Whether that be a hardware problem (shorted out cable) or something truck related, it is sometimes very hard to diagnose over the phone. We are limited as to what info we can gather, and what time the customer can devote to helping towards a solution. From the fact that the competitor product worked well, it sounds like you may have had some hardware issues with the H&S that was causing problems.

Once again, sorry to hear of the negative experience you had. We strive to assist all our customers (and even some non-customers) in every way that we can. Maybe in the future we can improve your outlook on H&S Performance.

Thanks!

·
strokin baby!!!!!!!!
418 Posts
Hi guys,
You buy a 50-60K truck then bitch about fuel prices?? The 6.7 is made to only run on B20 (see the fancy door badge on the door that most people take off?) thats because the trucks fuel system is only to allow proper operation with B20 or less NOT more...... I would say the reason for the problem now that its tuned and not a H&S issue its the added hp thats done by increased fuel timing and psi in which the stock fuel system cant handle fuel thats not made for it and the extra psi your throwing at it!

I work for Ford and everytime we have seen the 6.4 and 6.7 with high Bio levels and there tuned they have problems like these. I have a 2012 6.7 thats been deleted and H&S tuned from the day i sign the papers on the truck now have 5k miles with only great things to say about H&S, i also have installed many of these same kits on 6.4 and 6.7's with no problems and some trucks are approaching 100k miles with that setup customers love them and are happy!

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
My trucks been deleted for over 171K and no complaints, your issue isn't from the tuning its from trying to run fuel that the fuels system in that truck was never designed to run. It clearly states up to B20, trying to run B100 on a high pressure common rail motor is just begging for headaches and a empty wallet.

That's just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow!? Really? Ford spends almost $1 billion dollars developing the 6.7 motor and it will only run on pump fuel? Every country on the planet, including the US, is looking for alternative energy sources and ways to replace fossil fuels. Bio-diesel which can be made from pond scum, pig crap, vegetable oil, etc. all of which are very renewable. So Ford engineers designed a product that is actually less flexible than previous Powerstroke engines? Or is it a design flaw and the engineers should be fired? If it is intentional then it helps explain why Ford's stock price is in the toilet.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Wow!? Really? Ford spends almost $1 billion dollars developing the 6.7 motor and it will only run on pump fuel? Every country on the planet, including the US, is looking for alternative energy sources and ways to replace fossil fuels. Bio-diesel which can be made from pond scum, pig crap, vegetable oil, etc. all of which are very renewable. So Ford engineers designed a product that is actually less flexible than previous Powerstroke engines? Or is it a design flaw and the engineers should be fired? If it is intentional then it helps explain why Ford's stock price is in the toilet.
Are you an engineer? Do you know what it would take to make a motor run on 100% BIO? I don't,, and I imagine you don't either,,, if you think Ford did that on purpose, (B20 and not B100 compatible) without a good reason, (such as it's not realistically possible on a motor this advanced?) Who knows,, the old 7.3s would run on straight motor oil probably. I think Ford hit a home run,, no check that, a GRAND FREEKING SLAM on these trucks and motors, then you go and try to do something it wasn't designed for, and cry because you're having problems???? GROW UP MAN,, if you can afford the truck, you can afford the fuel. If you can't,, sorry,,

And why do you think Fords stock is in the "Toilet"? Just because it's lower priced than GM? I wouldn't mind having bought about 10,000 dollars worth of Ford stock when it was a little over 2.00 a share a few years back......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep I bought 1000 shares of Ford at 7 then sold at 15. who cares! Just because I can afford the truck (2012 - its paid for) and the fuel, doesn't mean I should waste money on stupidity... wait I just admitted that I did by paying cash for a 2012 PS...or is that a POS. The stock F is at 11.71 as of Friday, off of a 52 week high of 18 and some change so put your money where your mouth is and buy that 10k shares you missed out on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So with 8 techs working full time it would seem that you've confirmed that the product isn't that great. If they handle a bunch of sales then wouldn't that justify hiring more people to help with customer service. I would rather just move on to another company I know is going to help me out the first time I call in than to continue with H&S. Time is money. Actually the frustration of having to interact with H&S is even worse than the actual loss of money.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There have been issues with high percentage biodiesel fuel in high pressure fuel systems for years, dating back to the 6.0L. The 6.7L, the first engine that has been designed to accomodate B20 and maintain warranty is still not good enough for you? So now Ford is supposed to design a system that can accomodate B100, which is unregulated, is not widely available, is not yet economically viable at this time, is not required to be sold by any governing bodies, in addition to the miriad of existing EPA requirements, just so a miniscule percentage of current fast food waste oil scavengers can make their own "inexpensive" fuel?

Oh, and let's add the fact that there are enough fossil fuel deposits to run the planet for at least another century, probably longer, and that technology continues to advance so that these fuels can be consumed with less and less environmental impact.

Yes, shame on Ford for not taking on the role of savior of our "dying" planet at their own expense to appease folks like you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You buy a 50-60K truck then bitch about fuel prices?? The 6.7 is made to only run on B20 (see the fancy door badge on the door that most people take off?) thats because the trucks fuel system is only to allow proper operation with B20 or less NOT more......

Well, GUYS. I'm glad to see you are all so passionate about your opinions. But to answer your questions. It's not a matter of cost of a truck or cost of fuel. It's a matter of ,I have contracts with several local restaurants to pick up there used vegetable oil. All of my company trucks run on B100 and my truck (which of course gets driven the most) now suddenly can not run on it because I descided to buy a new one. I have 1500 gallons of VO and I'm not using enough. Simply, it's running out of my ears.
I'm just looking for a possible solution, not to start a war. The fact that you may or may agree or understand my problem is quite frankly irrevelant and voicing your negative opinion doesn't help.
The 2011 emblem on the side of the truck doesn't say B100 anymore than it says TUNER READY but that doesn't prevent us from installing tuners. So please spare me your negative opinions and if you don't have any real experience or possible solutions. There's a way to make this truck work with a tuner and biodiesel just like I did with the 7.3 and the 6.0.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So with 8 techs working full time it would seem that you've confirmed that the product isn't that great. If they handle a bunch of sales then wouldn't that justify hiring more people to help with customer service. I would rather just move on to another company I know is going to help me out the first time I call in than to continue with H&S. Time is money. Actually the frustration of having to interact with H&S is even worse than the actual loss of money.
Once again. sorry you felt you were not assisted. We have a tech staff to help with the literally thousands of installs happening every month. Someone is bound to unplug a tuner during download, not follow the directions, break something, receive a faulty hardware piece, or a variety of other problems. If you fell into one of these categories, I apologize. We train our technicians to assist every caller to the best of their abilities. Unfortunately, you may have hit a combination of variables that the tech had not seen previously.

If you could PM me your info, I would love to view your call history and perhaps go talk with the tech that assisted you. We are constantly trying to improve, but we cannot know what to improve on unless we know the problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I asked a few questions in a previous post. If you could answer the questions asked, you may get some better assistance on here. There is not going to be some magical solution. You will need to identify the failing part, then provide a solution to keep that part from failing. You may then run into the next "weak link". A high pressure fuel pump failure, or injector problem may be the next issue you run into. Personally I think that the risk you are taking by hurting your truck, is far greater than the value you save by running the Bio. These new 6.7L Powerstrokes are NOT a simple design and cannot be compared to any of the older engines.

http://www.hsperformance.com/1/images/67_books/67L_Diesel.pdf

There is a little info about the 6.7L hardware. It may help you in your quest to find a solution.

You have to understand that the negative responses in this thread do have some merit. You are attempting to use a product in a way that the manufacturer never intended or tested for. If you were to ask a Ford Engineer about your situation, he would immediately tell you NOT to continue your Bio fuel mixture because it is untested and likely to cause problems.

I wish you the best of luck, and really do hope you find a solution that works for you. Let us know how it goes!

Well, GUYS. I'm glad to see you are all so passionate about your opinions. But to answer your questions. It's not a matter of cost of a truck or cost of fuel. It's a matter of ,I have contracts with several local restaurants to pick up there used vegetable oil. All of my company trucks run on B100 and my truck (which of course gets driven the most) now suddenly can not run on it because I descided to buy a new one. I have 1500 gallons of VO and I'm not using enough. Simply, it's running out of my ears.
I'm just looking for a possible solution, not to start a war. The fact that you may or may agree or understand my problem is quite frankly irrevelant and voicing your negative opinion doesn't help.
The 2011 emblem on the side of the truck doesn't say B100 anymore than it says TUNER READY but that doesn't prevent us from installing tuners. So please spare me your negative opinions and if you don't have any real experience or possible solutions. There's a way to make this truck work with a tuner and biodiesel just like I did with the 7.3 and the 6.0.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There have been issues with high percentage biodiesel fuel in high pressure fuel systems for years, dating back to the 6.0L. The 6.7L, the first engine that has been designed to accomodate B20 and maintain warranty is still not good enough for you? So now Ford is supposed to design a system that can accomodate B100, which is unregulated, is not widely available, is not yet economically viable at this time, is not required to be sold by any governing bodies, in addition to the miriad of existing EPA requirements, just so a miniscule percentage of current fast food waste oil scavengers can make their own "inexpensive" fuel?

Oh, and let's add the fact that there are enough fossil fuel deposits to run the planet for at least another century, probably longer, and that technology continues to advance so that these fuels can be consumed with less and less environmental impact.

Yes, shame on Ford for not taking on the role of savior of our "dying" planet at their own expense to appease folks like you. :rolleyes:
Just what we need is more regulation as you suggest. Let's see, Rudolf Diesel used peanut oil in 1893 to power his diesel motor. Yep after 100 years of use we should definitley regulate it. And while we're at it, those regulations you seem to love also stop the US from drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. China on the other hand via a relationship with Cuba can drill. All the reserves you mention are definitely there we just can't access the vast majority of them.

Drill in ANWR, build the pipeline from Canada, drill in the Gulf, etc., then maybe the reserves you mention will make sense. For now they might as well be on the moon.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I don't get what the bickering is about, you might as well poured milk into your tank. The truck wasn't advertised to run on B100, it clearly says B20 on the door and in the owners manual. Its not H&S's fault you didn't follow instructions nor is it Fords, if you wanted to run B100 in it you should have done some research prior to buying the truck and or asked the dealer.

The truck may not say tuner compatible but it doesn't say it isnt either but it sure says up to B20 not up to B100. I can tell you it wouldn't matter if it was a Dodge or a GM either, high pressure common rail motors and waste oil fuel or high bio content fuel don't play well together. Your not trying to do anything no one else hasn't thought of yet its just that it doesn't work well in these newer applications so that's the reason no one does it. But if you like fixing your fuel system regularly then go for it.

And FYI it wouldn't matter if you had Brand X tuner on there you would get the same results, the tuners are raising fuel and rail pressure and your trying to run a thicker less refined fuel under extreme pressures. Somethings going to go wrong.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
I guess Ford should have built a truck to satisfy this guy, not 95% of Ford owners like they did. FoMoCo needs to think

·
strokin baby!!!!!!!!
418 Posts
You buy a 50-60K truck then bitch about fuel prices?? The 6.7 is made to only run on B20 (see the fancy door badge on the door that most people take off?) thats because the trucks fuel system is only to allow proper operation with B20 or less NOT more......

Well guess you can fix stupid is all i can say....... Best advice is read and understand what replies these tuners are writing on here and now how the 6.7 runs compared to the 7.3 and 6.0 even the 6.4 its a different animal and Ford it self built it to meet not only the customers needs but the EPA needs which voice over powers anyone else's now days!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts