Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested, watching some vids on youtube of 6.4's pulling.... How do these trucks do with just the simple good tuner on the highest tune, full exhaust, intake, and upgraded tires?

Also have a buddy of mine with an older 12v cummins that with his chip/small upgraded turbo/minor fueling barely makes mid 400'shp and like close to 900ftlbs and he brags about how well he does pulling, kind of figured with our trucks making close to 200 hp and even more ftlbs that theyd do better? I dont hear of many if any 6.4s pulling at local events, and maybe like 1 or two 6.0s show up

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
They do well, but front end hop is a big problem. Most have to stay in and out of the throttle to keep the front end from going nuts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you fix that?

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you get the front end setup right they are doing very very well in workstock.

What kinda chip does your buddies 12v have that is making 400hp?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea what do guys with 6.4s do to set up the front end?

Im not sure what chip it is, does 400 seem like a lot? He dynoed it over the summer and I saw the sheets for it. I know its got a chip, an S series turbo not exact on the size, my mechanic said its not really a big turbo at all. I know hes got a fass pump and injectors on it. Im not sure of all the specifics.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Before you get abused any harder there is no such thing as a "chip" for a 12 valve. If it has one its either a 24 valve or it doesn't have one @ all.

·
Big Plans
784 Posts
Also have a buddy of mine with an older 12v cummins that with his chip/small upgraded turbo/minor fueling barely makes mid 400'shp and like close to 900ftlbs
Im not sure what chip it is, does 400 seem like a lot? He dynoed it over the summer and I saw the sheets for it. I know its got a chip, an S series turbo not exact on the size, my mechanic said its not really a big turbo at all. I know hes got a fass pump and injectors on it. Im not sure of all the specifics.
ur buddy is blowing smoke up your ass...12v's are mechanical...there are no "chips":doh:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol well maybe I just misunderstood or assumed it was. I dont know anything about those older trucks, or cummins trucks at all. And am still learning about these 6.4s every day.

Anyway back to the subject, what are people doing to set up the front end on these trucks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Strap them down and hang weight if your class allows it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I read that guys with 4-link say the overall ride/driveability is dramatically improved... A little over a G for a better ride, better control, and helps with pulling? Def worth it to me...

·
WOOOOO!!!!!
1,655 Posts
4 link would be the better fix for this. I've seen vids of the setup you guys sell and it works great. However, it would be more beneficial for someone who does a lot of pulling than someone who does it a few times here and there. $1000 vs. $50 worth of straps is a big difference. It all depends on what you want. If you just wanna try your truck out a couple times, strap it down. If you wanna get into pulling a little more serious, get a 4 link and forget about it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea im not even sure about it all, I figured maybe Id try it once or twice, alone with going to the strip next summer, depending how far I get into doing the performance mods that I want. I just dont hear of any 6.4s showing up to local events, and wondered how it might do compared to the average local guy the pulls with his cummins

·
Registered
520 Posts
Go buy a $15 10k pound ratchet strap and be done. Works extremely well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The strap doesn't work if you want to compete. You need that unsprung weight to droop and have traction. Not lift the left front with the chassis and spin it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts