Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be able to buy a 6.4L for really cheap... truck had caught on fire so needs all new sensors and wiring and such though. I was about to buy a new set of injectors and i would really like to stud it but im sure ill end up having to buy new heads and everything else too... so to do all that to my truck im sure the final bill be up around 7-8K easy..

SO... has anybody ever done this swap? or at least know appx how much be involved? im sure ill have to take it somewhere to get it done, dont think i can or want to try to tackle it myself...

i know some of the wiring would be different but seems like a lot would be about the same.. need to use the 6.4 cpu, custom tuning, but other than that seems like it would come close to bolting up same and use same transmission and such...?

also the 6.4 has appx 58K miles... the 6.0 in my truck has 228K

·
Diesel Addict
1,565 Posts
im pretty sure the tranny's in the 6.4's have bigger converters but yes they will bolt up from what i hear. and im sure it could be done.

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive got a 6.0 in my truck already if i need parts and already got a built suncoast tranny with PI converter..

mainly wonder if can be done, worth doing, what all new stuff ill need......and if any shops want to do it and how much $$ lol.. i dont feel anywhere close to being capable of the swap myself.. but as said, if i can get the motor that cheap most cost be labor so...? and i doubt ill do any type of major mods so that extra money wont be a factor either, just maybe headstuds and egr delete if thats available on 6.4s... just whatever needs to be done to stay together while its out...

thanks for the replies guys!! keep em coming

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If you get the wiring harness, and computer, it should be little to no big deal. I am seriously contemplating this when/if my 6.0 takes a dump on me.

·
8 Cylinder Junkie
29 Posts
I agree that its doable might run into a few complications as you do with just about any build but its possible. And you might as well do what mods you want while its out my opinion be easier. Also remember some of the changes that will need to be made as in the power steering pump will be mounted different, your air filtration system will come in on the opposite side. Just little things like that pop into my mind. It would be fun to do I'd even offer to help but not sure how much money in labor it would take. Swapping the motors isn't the hard part its all the details that go with it. O yea and sensors on that motor aren't cheap and I'm sure the harness wouldn't be that cheap either but I don't know haven't done enough research just what I see in the dealership.

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you get the wiring harness, and computer, it should be little to no big deal. I am seriously contemplating this when/if my 6.0 takes a dump on me.
see thats pretty much what i was thinking as well... but a lot of people act like its a huge deal... should be way more basic than a cummins swap... just people have done those so many times they act like that would be easier....

ya i know sensors and such arent cheap, but i would probably look on ebay, etc for them since its not going to be a rush to must have that day... and only real things i was thinking of doing while its out would be delete egr and headstuds... just a tuner in those should be plenty.. LOL

what about the actual wiring itself, would anything have to be custom done?

·
Registered
359 Posts
ive been wondering about this to doesnt seem like it would be to bad i mean it is the same truck the wiring is what im worried about my 6.0 has 180k on it 6.4 in my 06 and the 6.0 in my first gen lighting would just be fun

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
it can be done, but it wont be cheap..you will need the body harness and he engine harness and dash cluster, it wont be as basic as a cummins swap as the 6.4 is far more technologically enhanced then a typical cummins.

·
Bye-Bye 6.0, Hello 7.3!
80 Posts
Between the fuel system differences, the charge air differences, all the electrical differences, including the cluster, you'd really want to find a roll over, not a burn truck, so that you could salvage all the little bits and pieces you need. If you had a complete truck acting as a donor, it could probably be done in 2-3 weeks including stripping everything out of the donor. I've done stuff like this before on smaller scale (cars) and it's a pain in the rear, but if you do it right it's awesome.

Oh, just to add something from an emissions standpoint, if you are potentially facing emissions inspection and they test off the year of the engine in the swap like they do in California, it would then make more sense to go with a Cummins only because you can outfit it to match the year of your truck more easily and avoid needig the newer emissions parts like the DPF. I'm planning to swap a 6.7L Common rail into my truck, but dress it to appear like a 5.9L CR at 2005 Specs.

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Between the fuel system differences, the charge air differences, all the electrical differences, including the cluster, you'd really want to find a roll over, not a burn truck, so that you could salvage all the little bits and pieces you need. If you had a complete truck acting as a donor, it could probably be done in 2-3 weeks including stripping everything out of the donor. I've done stuff like this before on smaller scale (cars) and it's a pain in the rear, but if you do it right it's awesome.

Oh, just to add something from an emissions standpoint, if you are potentially facing emissions inspection and they test off the year of the engine in the swap like they do in California, it would then make more sense to go with a Cummins only because you can outfit it to match the year of your truck more easily and avoid needig the newer emissions parts like the DPF. I'm planning to swap a 6.7L Common rail into my truck, but dress it to appear like a 5.9L CR at 2005 Specs.
got aftermarket custom fuel system that i would use with this setup too... what yall are saying doesnt really "seem" like all that much... am i missing something? dash swap and wiring harness is all really seems like people are saying.. is that really that major? again, since the engine itself is so cheap, extra parts will be more jusitifable.... not really worried about the extra stuff that has to be bought as much as i am the LABOR and intensity of the swap itself... i mean, seems like if its pretty much a bolt up shouldnt be all that bad...

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
the dash/instrument cluster is my only concern, Only because that is what i dont have and havent found yet, Ill let ya know in a few weeks

Travis

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the dash/instrument cluster is my only concern, Only because that is what i dont have and havent found yet, Ill let ya know in a few weeks

Travis
have you done this swap?

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
Finding a wrecked donor truck would be the best way to go about it. i have wondered if the IH version of the motor would be easier since you would think that it would not be tied with the dash cluster, and could just pcs the 5r100

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
again..... for the price of the engine.......

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
I cannot remember where I saw it...but I know there are pics on the net of a 08 interior swap including dash, column, etc.... into a 7.3 or 6.0 truck.
Saw one at TS two years ago. Pulled up to the car was to talk to us had the front clip on it too. It was a V-10 though.

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Dude, stoptalking already and do it!!!!! I'll pull the cab off for you, and get everything out of the way. Then it is up to you to make everything work correctly as I am not an electrical person at all! Lol I can make to plugs go together prett good though;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts