Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 6.4 that I am about to install a viper security system and remote start on. This is my first time to do one of these and my question is that I was wondering if the wiring for ignition and all that stuff under the dash is the same as the '05-'07 super duty's. I have a Haynes manual that I am going to use to help me out on finding and connecting wires, however the manual that I have I bought when I had my 2005 superduty. I'm assuming that for the most part the wiring diagrams stayed the same but just wanted to ask incase I'm wrong so I can go again and get a new manual bought before this coming weekend... Thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
It's WELL worth your while to take it to an install place and eat the $200 or so for them to do it. Viper's warranty only covers *any* problems if installed by an authorized dealer, and all the crap the new ones offer have *many* problems. The Viper 5901 on my 29k mile 6.4 has been back to the Viper dealer 5 times for various issues. When I went to pick the truck up from them installing it, the alarm wouldn't let the starter get juice. Problem right off the bat, and they allegedly do this all day every day. After that, the remote start didn't work from time to time (once requiring the truck to be towed because again the alarm wouldn't let the truck start - towed and dropped right in front of the installer's garage bay door at 5am - towing paid for by Viper), the valet mode didn't work once, the proximity sensor was f'ed up twice... There's just so much garbage on these newer trucks and how it ties into the factory wiring that to do it on your own is shooting yourself in the foot. It doesn't matter how qualified as an electrician or electronics engineer one might be, the Murphy factor just doesn't make it worthwhile.

My 7.3's were no sweat doing myself. Less than a dozen wires including the proximity sensor and the blinky blink LED light to let scumbags know it'll make noise if they f- with it and never an issue with any of them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I'm starting to see what you mean, I got the alarm to work speaker and locks, everything except for the remote start, and ofcoarse it's a PITA and the installations instructions are not clear since they are a general alarm made to fit any car... And I just realized yesterday that we have chips in our keys ... So there's 75 bucks right there if I have to get a bypass module that requires a chipped key... Pretty dumb, but considering the money I have invested in my truck, along with the grap and go items ie. Tuner, touch screen.. I guess I'm going to have to pay up and have somebody finish it... Plus, I have a Haynes manual for super duty and excursions 99-07 and so I got a new one incase the wiring changed for my '08 and I looked at the new manual and it didn't even have the wiring diagrams for '08-'10... I was pretty ticked off at Haynes manuals... Still am..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
9,453 Posts
Just a heads up, but you might have to try more than one installer that will both a) touch it now that you soiled the sanctity of their Biblical installer's creed by starting to do it yourself, and b) not have to sign a waiver exempting them from future warranty work because of the aforementioned 'tampering.' I had to go to three places before I found a three toothed inbred that didn't have a problem taking my money no questions asked, even tho I had several pigtails hanging from under the dash from my attempt to wade into that sea of chaos under that dash. The first two people I went to told me the two things I mentioned above. The guy that wanted me to sign a waiver exempting him from any future warranty work must've got a kick out of the stupid look on my face when he said that.

·
9,453 Posts
But the added security of rendering the starter inoperable is definitely a plus as far as thievery goes. I even get a couple dollars (dollars like less than $10 tho :confused:) off my auto insurance because all my vehicles are alarmed.

But I do agree that it's a lot of chaos to wade thru just to ultimately connect (I think) it's three wires that control the start function of the alarm. Forty-odd years ago we put a man on the moon but today it's such an arduous procedure to be able to start my SuperDuty from my kitchen window....

·
Registered
326 Posts
I installed a Ford "Gold" system in mine and agree with Mr Andy. While the ford unit had great details, there were a ton of wires to tie into. Luckily most can be found in just a couple of locations so it wasn't terrible, but it was a couple of days to get it all done. I can say the system has worked perfect, but it probably doesn't have all of the goodies that your Viper system does. That being said, if you do continue wiring it in yourself, I will pass along any info I can that may help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts