Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to find options for my truck. If the motor doesn't get replaced under warranty, I'm not so sure I want to spend the several thousands of dollars to replace the 6.4 Considered making it a fummins, but was seeing if anybody with knowledge on the subject had insight. Plan would be to keep the 5r behind it as its been trouble free. Any input is much appreciated

·
Registered
875 Posts
if your paying for it 20k and 5r will be questionable because you will need a stand alone trans controller and they don't work that good

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a look at Destroked.com they make all the adaptors and have developed there own trans controler for the 4R and 5R auto's they have a list for what cummins to what ever ford trany you want to run

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
you be better off to just find a good used motor,. a lot less expensive.

·
Coal Blower
569 Posts
Depends. Are you doing the swap, have knowledge of swaps, and tools? Or paying someone?

If youre doing it, Ill bet you could do it for 5k, paying someone 15-20k.
5K wont cover all the parts by the time the dust settles. These swaps nickel and dime you to death.

·
Registered
408 Posts
5K wont cover all the parts by the time the dust settles. These swaps nickel and dime you to death.
Id argue it can be done, just have to think a bit differently. Im under 2500 in my swap, including buying the ford to start with. 99 crew, 4wd, 24v 6speed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cost of swap - $10k-$20k & 1 man card.

·
Registered
875 Posts
good used cr will run 5k you will never get the 5r reliable in a fummins another 4k in conversion parts 100hrs labor for a stock used cr 5.9 now lets dump another 3k in performance parts 7-8k to get cr up to power level of lightly tuned 6.4 Oh and when your done the truck is worthless because 99% of buyers wont buy a fummins

·
Registered
408 Posts
How? You mean cheap? Squeaky cheap? I never do anything in life that way. I do things the right way.
:confused:
Youre welcome to look in my build thread, please tell me if you see anything I did anything the wrong way. I do have access to a complete machine shop, so that helps, but there's more than 1 way to approach a swap. My fummins is far from my 1st rodeo, and certainly nowhere near the biggest project Ive done either. Not trying to be rude or brag, however you can spend $ on a project, and get it done quickly, or do more research, pondering, etc, and many times save a ton, and drastically reduce costs.

·
Coal Blower
569 Posts
:confused:
Youre welcome to look in my build thread, please tell me if you see anything I did anything the wrong way. I do have access to a complete machine shop, so that helps, but there's more than 1 way to approach a swap. My fummins is far from my 1st rodeo, and certainly nowhere near the biggest project Ive done either. Not trying to be rude or brag, however you can spend $ on a project, and get it done quickly, or do more research, pondering, etc, and many times save a ton, and drastically reduce costs.
OP was asking about a CR swap. Not a VP44 you can buy for 1500 bucks complete.

·
Registered
408 Posts
when your done the truck is worthless because 99% of buyers wont buy a fummins
Something here for sure. Truck wont be an easy sell should it become time to sell it. To the right person, sure. Most want stock, left alone. Replaced parts scares a lot of people, and conversions are that much worse. Has to be really worth it for what you want from the truck, and plan to keep it for a long time to make the investment (time or $) worth it.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
If your going to keep it till its dead and buried it could be worth it and id look for a wrecked complete dodge to get instead of piecing it all together.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This idea is more then dead. Truck is awaiting a used 6.4 an then it'll go up for sale more than likely. Would love to keep it but can't really afford it at this time.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Place in Texas does alot of them
Bring them a comm9n rail Cummins complete, your truck, & $8,000 and you'll drive it home a few days later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts