Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08' 6.4ccsb, had oil,filter, and fuel filters changed on wednesday of last week, and once I got home I got under the truck later that night to see about getting started on dpf delete, tuner, etc. While I was down there I noticed about 3-4 nickel sized oil spots on the garage floor. Didnt think a lot of it, just figured oil was spilled on the engine when it was changed, so I wiped everything up and checked the next morning, no leaks. It sat thursday, I installed all dpf delete, etc thursday night/friday morning, only had 1 small spot after moving truck to center of garage to work on it. Drove truck friday and had 2 small drips in parking lot at work, then again a small one that night at home. Fast forward to this morning, took back to the oil shop and they cant find any leaks, I was there when the guy crawled under a second time(couldnt climb underneath as i was dressed to be at the office) still he sees nothing. Get back to work just now let it sit an hour and there is one small spot on the cement. Oil is very black, and is dripping on passenger side, behind tire, just where trans hits around the oil pan. Anyone have any ideas or have has this prob? I would have thought if it was spilled oil, it would have drained by now. They did say there was a little old oil(had dirt, sediments in it) around the front seal, but was no sign of acutal leak there

·
Registered
26 Posts
well the front crank seals are known to leak. If the leak is by the front right tire the only things ive seen leak on that side were either glow plug harness that isnt fully seated, a crank case vent tube popped off the nipple on the block (theyre a pain to get to) or an oil pan gasket or bed plate leak. usually bed plates leak all the way around though. Another possibility is if one of your turbo drain tubes is leaking. When you get the chance get a couple cans of brake clean douche it all out, then install engine oil dye in the oil 3 bottles worth (theyre about the size of a shot) and get a uv light and yellow goggles and go under and look. Oil runs down hill so follow where it leads up to. a flexible mirror will help tremendously.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked at it again today, oil looks to be running down 2 stainless lines that are next to the oil pan, that run up into the motor. Going to look at it closer tonight when i get home, just noticed a drip on the line when getting back to work earlier

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
I bet it's just residual oil from the valley where the service place spilt some oil. Takes forever to drain out of there too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long would you think it takes? It has been a week now that they changed the oil, which he said they sprayed off the motor, which is not common so it is consistent with a spill. Just fig it would all be gone by now, guess I have drove it 5 or 6 times since then. I did get under it last night, and there is oil coming down those 2 lines, but also looked like at some point( motor was still hot so didnt atually touch it) it was leaking from the top of the block down the driver side, at the very back. Saw the edges of the oil pan also had wet oil on them, not dripping or anything but did have a little oil leaked there, maybe from the top of the block, so it appears to be coming down the motor in a couple diff places. Couldnt see where anything had oil on it from the top through the engine compartment. Would all this be consistent with a spill? I am about 60 miles out of warranty, which is why I installed spartan, intake and exhuast last week(oil leak appeared 2 days before install, so not related) but dont want to take to dealer for a puddle of spilled oil. Also checked oil level and it was completely full, and oil on the stick was not as black as the oil that is leaking on the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts